Network DVD is delighted to announce the release of one of Gerry Andersons most cherished fantasy series. FIREBALL XL5 SPECIAL EDITION (U) is available to buy on DVD on 29th June 2009, RRP £59.99. This 6disc set includes all 39 episodes from the iconic series, complete and uncut plus exclusive extras including a 60-page book and new documentary.
The year is 2062 – 2063, the peace of the universe is maintained by World Space Patrol’s finest rocket ship, the eponymous Fireball XL5. The memorable crew comprises of the glamorous doctor Venus, middle-aged navigator and engineer Professor Matthew Matic and Zodiac’s co-pilot Robert the Robot, whose fantastic characteristic being that he is transparent, and bears the voice of creator Gerry Anderson himself. This brave, gallant crew is led by the heroic Colonel Steve Zodiac. They explore various exotic planets and other life forms and protect the innocent from sinister intergalactic villains such as Mr. and Mrs. Space Spy.
Since the programme’s very first transmission on October 28th 1962, young audiences – not to mention a good number of adults all over the world were held enthralled by the adventures of Steve Zodiac and his crew.
Gerry Anderson’s Supermarionation marionettes were first introduced in Four Feather Falls (1960), and since then a wondrous tradition in entertainment was born. The marionettes were used again and again in immensely popular children’s shows such as Supercar, Thunderbirds. This release will appeal to all who are fans and is also set to convert a good number of new viewers, who have yet to experience its magic.
- A Wonderland of Stardust: a brand new documentary about the making of Fireball XL5 featuring contributions from creators Gerry Anderson and Sylvia Anderson, as well as numerous members of the crew including David Elliott, Alan Pattillo and Brian Johnson
- Drawn in Supermarionation: This new, exclusive documentary chronicles the comic strip adaptations of the early AP Films series and features contributions from director of merchandising Keith Shackleton and artists Bill Mevin, Mike Noble and Colin Page.
- A Day in the Life of a Space General: A brand new, colourised edition of Fireball XL5, taken from a new HD transfer of the original film elements
- Bill Mevins Supercar Home Movie: Previously unseen footage filmed by TV Comic artist Bill Mevin during production on Supercar
- Special limited edition packaging
- Zoom ice lolly commercials
- Image Galleries
- PDF Material
- 60-page book written by TV historian Andrew Pixley.
Network DVD have arranged a special event on Saturday 27 June at the Odeon Covent Garden, London.
There will be a 35mm screening of ‘The Day The Earth Froze’, from a newly struck print from the original negative, in complete contrast the first ever public screening of the newly colorized and restored episode ‘A Day In The Life Of A Space General’ will follow in high definition. A 10 minute extract from the brand new documentary ‘A Wonderland of Stardust’ will conclude the screenings. To be followed by a Q&A with special guest Gerry Anderson moderated by Richard Hollis.
Tickets are £6.50, or as a special offer you can purchase your ticket and the limited edition packaging DVD box set of FIREBALL XL5 for a total of just £40!
Box sets ordered this way will receive priority for signing by Mr Anderson on the day.
Tickets are now available to purchase – all purchases can be made through the Network website: www.networkdvd.co.uk