+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I couldn't find a thread on this. I mean actors who worked together on a movie and detested each other, not stuff going on in their private lives. The most famous was the war between Joan Crawford and Betty Davis during the filming of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. They were suppose to repeat in Hush, Hush, Sweet Charloette, but Crawford decided to bail out.

There are conflicting reports about Lugosi and Karloff. I have the impression they got along reasonably well, although Lugosi may have privately resented Karloff and wasn't happy he had to participate in Karloff's tea breaks. Not so with Lugosi and Chaney Jr. Lugosi didn't like Chaney calling him, "Pop," and a possibly drunken Chaney almost slugged Lugosi during the filming of "Black Sheep."

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Bette and Miriam Hopkins

Edward G and Miriam Hopkins

Edward G and George Raft (over Marlene Dietrich)

Marlene Dietrich and Ray Milland.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    From all the various accounts I've heard retold about working on The Persuaders! episode "Five Miles To Midnight", it seems Tony Curtis and Joan Collins hated each other. Funnily enough, I am completely unsurprised by this.

Wellendcanons.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='will.15']

There are conflicting reports about Lugosi and Karloff. I have the impression they got along reasonably well.

According to the most recent Lugosi biography he and Karloff tolerated each other but were jealous of each other's success. Karloff was rather patronising to Lugosi behind his back referring to him as 'poor Bela'. When Lugosi's career was on the slide Karloff resented attempts by various directors to give his career a boost by putting them in films together. Karloff allegedly sabotaged Lugosi's efforts on more than one occasion. From reading various books about Karloff he comes across as a rather pleasant chap but with a ruthless streak with regard to his career. Lugosi, on the other hand, comes over as being rather careless with his career but had an air of self importance about him. Their personalities would appear to have prevented them from being friends.

Humphrey Bogart apparently loathed Errol Flynn after they worked together on Virginia City. Bogie (no Saint himself) was absolutely appalled by the way Flynn lived his life and refused to work with him again.

Liked
    144 times
    Stanley Baker and Dirk Bogarde on the Accident set....according to Jo Losey ====>

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewel, stars of the sit-com 'Nearest and dearest'

On one occasion after filming Jimmy saw Hylda walking along the street in torrential rain, he stopped and offered a lift, she said 'not bloody likely'.!

Liked
    239 times
    Olivia and sis Joan.

Walter Matthau and Barbra Streisand.

Kenneth Williams and Sid James ( but Kenneth and everyone really at one time or another)

Linda Evans and Joan Collins

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='Mark O']Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewel, stars of the sit-com 'Nearest and dearest'

On one occasion after filming Jimmy saw Hylda walking along the street in torrential rain, he stopped and offered a lift, she said 'not bloody likely'.!

Just shows how professional they were then, because you'd never have suspected such a relationship from their onscreen attitudes...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='smudge']Just shows how professional they were then, because you'd never have suspected such a relationship from their onscreen attitudes...

Smudge

You wouldn't smudge, i can't recall where i read about the non-friendly off-screen relationship they had, maybe a book about Hylda's life, they were both staying at the same hotel at the time too.

I don't know, people and their ego's!

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Michael Caine and Richard Harris had a well-documented feud in the 90s.

Rex Harrison and Stewart Granger almost came to blows in a 1989 play.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm told Harry H Corbett and Wilfred Bramble didn't like each other very much - the former being classically trained and considering himself above the latter, who wasn't.

I've also heard that, in Hobson's Choice, Charles Laughton wasn't exactly a fan of the untried John Mills. He had apparently wanted another actor - one of his proteges, I believe - to play the part of Willie Mossop, but was overruled in favour of John, hence the atmosphere between the two on screen is very genuine.

Brilliant film, though.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='EllyMack']

I've also heard that, in Hobson's Choice, Charles Laughton wasn't exactly a fan of the untried John Mills. He had apparently wanted another actor - one of his proteges, I believe - to play the part of Willie Mossop, but was overruled in favour of John, hence the atmosphere between the two on screen is very genuine.

Brilliant film, though.

Untried in what sense? Millsy had made c40 films by this time (rather more than Robert Donat who he replaced) and it certainly wasn't his first performance as a working class chappie or even his first Northerner.

Liked
    255 times
    Joan Collins hated by her co-stars? Surely not!

Liked
    239 times
    name='batman']Joan Collins hated by her co-stars? Surely not!

It's amazing mention the Carry on's and the Captain magically appears mention Cruella and there's Bats

Liked
    255 times
    I may have been busy watching the lovely Tamzin change the future in Paradox, but my Bitch radar is always primed and ready.

Part of the duty of a Super Hero is to protect the world from Super Bitches.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    BTM - forgot Paradox completely this week! Mind you, it was wearing a bit thin already...

Smudge

Liked
    255 times
    name='smudge']BTM - forgot Paradox completely this week! Mind you, it was wearing a bit thin already...

Smudge

I am still enjoying it .... the plot had another little twist this week to keep it interesting.

Liked
    0 times
    Wilfred Brambell and Harry H. Corbett, although I think that spilled over into their private lives as well.

Came to a head when they were touring Australia together with a stage version of Steptoe & Son. Corbett is onstage waiting for WB to appear for his cue, while he's actually round someone's house, having a cup of tea! Couldn't bear to be on stage with him.

They even travelled back to England on separate planes!

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Sad but fascinating thread. What has often intrigued me is how some sublime comedy screen pairings apparently had such little regard for one another off camera.

Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewell have already been mentioned, as have Wilfred Brambell and Harry H.Corbett (Steptoe VERSUS Son in real life, so they say). Warren Mitchell and Dandy Nichols had a rather strained relationship from what I have heard....not much time for one another allegedly.

Have James Bolam and Rodney Bewes even so much as spoken to one another in the past thirty odd years? Not Likely!

I have read there was little love lost between Jimmy Nail and Gary Holton.

Far from the burgeoning on-off romance between Rigsby and Miss Jones, Leonard Rossiter and Frances De La Tour reputedly sat in opposite corners of the studio in between takes, polarised as they were by their conflicting political leanings apparently.

I gather Phoenix Nights' Peter Kaye and Dave Spikey have fallen out, to the extent that Kaye refuses to acknowledge Spikey who is never shown in Phoenix flashbacks during the Max & Paddy series.

For a period in their career Abbott & Costello were pointedly at loggerheads, indeed downright hostile to and about one another....ditto Cannon & Ball (who are now pals again ).

I know they aren't actors, but Little & Large are supposedly daggers drawn with one another nowadays.

Isn't comedy fun?

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    name='Tonch']Far from the burgeoning on-off romance between Rigsby and Miss Jones, Leonard Rossiter and Frances De La Tour reputedly sat in opposite corners of the studio in between takes, polarised as they were by their conflicting political leanings apparently.

Oh do tell! Which swung which way? I'm guessing Frances went to the left?

Ah yes, to answer my own question:

In the 1970s, she was a member of the Trotskyist Workers Revolutionary Party alongside Vanessa Redgrave. She continued to work frequently with Redgrave, and later joined the same political grouping – the Marxist Party. In recent years she has continued her political activism working for Respect - The Unity Coalition when it was founded in 2003-4.

And Leonard, according to his daughter, was a "staunch Conservative".