+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Euryale, thank you again for all your efforts researching various subjects recently. I hope to return to all of them in the very near future, once I've done a bit of screencapping. Linda Marlowe is already accounted for (something from The Saint) but there's a lot more to do with John Stuart. I'll follow up your Judy Matheson post tomorrow. Extraordinary that you found her Twitter account. Oddly enough, this thread will be graced by a couple of 'Twittering Females' soon.

Re: Nancy Adams

Previously used screencaps - the first two from the 'Sighted' thread - of earlier
    subject Nancy. Where's this from, wearysloth? No details at your Compendium:

Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Going back to the Nancy Adams post from a few weeks ago, I watched that Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em episode afterwards (Cliffhanger), but wasn't sure
    which Extra in Library she was. Maybe the woman in yellow standing next to what might have been her husband? I may come back to this in the next few days.
    That was two years ago! I had my doubts and soon gave up. But just after Christmas I revisted the scene when philly
    wanted another Extra identified (Zelda Tateham). It seems so obvious that "the woman in yellow" is indeed our Nancy:

With Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer.

A reminder of Nancy's brief appearance as (the) Whartons' Maid in Part 21 of The Pallisers (1974):

With Brewster Mason as Abel Wharton.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 12-02-13 at 11:23 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    An unexpected family connection

Amanda Bowman

Amanda's only credit at IMDb is her brief appearance as a Receptionist in British crime film Girl in the Headlines (1963):

Just like secretary Gabrielle Brune, her only task is to allow Inspector Ian Hendry permission to see manager Robert Harris.
    From the William Hickey column (Daily Express), 5th September 1951:

ON THE TOWN

ONE of the nicer things about London in the early weeks of January is the number of children you see having lunch
    in the fashionable restaurants. They are all having treats before going to the circus, ballet, cinema, or pantomimes.

Yesterday, for example, I saw Amanda Bowman, daughter of actress Gabrielle Brune, celebrating her 11th birthday with six young friends.

That's all it says, but what priceless information! This would explain why they appear in the same scene. From Gabrielle's obituary thread:

I wasn't aware until it was too late but she is the Secretary who introduces Inspector Ian Hendry to boss Robert Harris:

In an earlier article (Daily Mirror, 3rd January 1947), it was announced that Gabrielle Brune gave birth to another baby daughter in London. I found all this out after deciding to search the archives for any rare information on her. It's two years today since I compiled one of my favourite posts, celebrating Gabrielle's memorable guest role in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). More discoveries at the aforementioned thread.

Junior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Judy Matheson also appeared in The Professionals, ep Long Shot, Z Cars and Crossroads. She later had a spell as a television announcer with TVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PyV925D_No

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Judy Matheson is appearing at Autographica in September; also at Camden Film Fair in June.

Liked
    177 times
    Thank you both for the additional information about Judy. She certainly qualifies as an 'Unnoticed' actress in her first episode of Spindoe (i.e. a credited role that lasts about five seconds) but has a more significant contribution in the next. Should I promote her to 'Bit Part Actresses ...'? I did the screencaps months ago. This is also the case with my next subject ...

Maria Kazan

Following the sad announcement of Bryan Forbes' death yesterday my interest in this lady has been revived.

Maria appeared in two of his movies (as far as I know anyway), firstly Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964).
    She is briefly seen at Kim Stanley's first seance and gets an even better close-up during the opening titles:

As luck would have it, we can see her entire performance on YouTube:

SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON - Bryan Forbes commentary excerpt

With Nanette Newman. I might include the other visitors in my next post, with an alternative shot of Maria.

Two years later, she and Penny Brahms had the uncredited roles of 'Twittering Females' in The Wrong Box:

James Villiers tries to impress them by ordering the bird he's handling to kill its prey but it turns on him instead.

The two roles last about 15 seconds each so I'd say Maria Kazan is a classic subject Can our ancestry experts find out more about her?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    There's only one Maria Kazan listed in British records: born 06 July 1935, died at Lewisham first quarter of 1981. I don't see any Kazans born in England around that time, so probably not a native of the UK. Found this 1966 press photo of her on eBay (sorry about the watermark):

Liked
    177 times
    Well done, Dave. I wouldn't have expected to find anything on eBay. That's incredible. Just how well known was she back then (at least to the press, and obviously Bryan)? How depressing to learn Maria died in her mid-Forties. Around the same age as my latest beloved, Patricia Cutts.

Most if not all of the pictures with that watermark can be found at Argenta Images. Cleaner but less than half the size:

And what about the caption! She was there:

ACTRESS ATTENDS A FILM PREMIERE IN HER VERY SPECIAL NIGHTIE

A powerful corps of mini-skirts and bare midriffs turned up for the West End Premiere of the film "THE WRONG BOX" at the Leicester Square Theatre last night [27th May 1966]. But they failed to catch the eye like actress MARIA KAZAN in a white lace gown which turned out to be her very special nightie.

Thanks for finding this, Dave R.I.P., Maria
    Last edited by cornershop15; 09-05-13 at 10:59 PM.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    10 times
    Glad to be of help, and thanks for the Argenta Images link--very useful!!

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I noticed another actor in these photo's who never seemed to get the credit or opportunities he richly deserved. Ian Hendry was a phenomenal TV and film actor who appeared in many TV series and British films. I've just finish reading his biography which is a fascinating insight into his life. There is a website dedicated to him as well now and some kind person is uploading rare clips of his work on YouTube, not least of which is what must be the only surviving episode of Police Surgeon from 1960.

eyeloveTV

Liked
    177 times
    More 'Unappreciated', I would think. Ian Hendry was the star of many films and TV shows. I can't remember how much screentime he had in Simon and Laura, or even if I spotted him, but that might be a good example of what this thread is all about. A recent description:

[Judy Matheson] certainly qualifies as an 'Unnoticed' actress in her first episode of Spindoe (i.e. a credited role that lasts about five seconds) ...
    Ian Hendry's thread

Liked
    177 times
    I watched an episode of Sam earlier, United We Stand. Not my kind of thing (unlike the song) but it did have early subject Stanley
    Dawson - in yet another Unnoticed role! It shouldn't take long to provide a screencap to help (re)establish him in our memories.

Imogen Graham

Imogen is in the middle. Like Catherne Deneuve (left), she's a Manicurist at the beauty salon run by Valerie Taylor (right):

"Mrs. Shaw Taylor wants to see you" [the Police 5 presenter's wife?]

Her only line in the film. Although the IMDb filmography for Imogen Graham has just one more credit (as a Receptionist in
    a sadly-lost episode of Adam Adamant Lives!), I suspect she made a few other film and TV appearances in the 1960s.

In this Daily Mirror article, from 26th February 1965, Imogen is pictured with four other girls and obscure pop group The
    Toggery Five (more like The Doddery Five these days ). They include the lesser known sisters of two Sixties legends:

THE boys all dressed up in their top togs are the Toggery Fiive. But this is not so much a picture of a pop group ... more a way of showing off five pretty Mods. The girls with that you-too-can-look-glamorous-on-a-park-bench secret dated the group in London yesterday.

The line-up, from the left, is Graham Smith and actress Imogen Graham, Paul Young and top model Ingrid Heppner
    [not Hafner], Frank Renshane* and Chrissie Shrimpton - she's the sister of the famous "Shrimp" [model Jean Shrimpton] - Ken Mills and publicity girl Linda Churcher, and Alan Doyle with Sarah Leyton, sister of actor John Leyton,

A good time was had by all ... But the group are still calling their next record "I'd Much Rather Be with the Boys". Picture by CYRIL MAITLAND

*Various other sources tell me that his surname is actually Renshaw. More on the group here:

Manchester Beat - The Toggery Five

Probably a minor highlight in Imogen's career but that's all l've found at the moment. It's difficult to see a simalarity in the two pictures but I am certain that's her in the Repulsion capture as the rest of Catherine Deneuve's colleagues (with the obvious exception of Helen Fraser) don't get to speak and are only seen in the background. A resemblance to Shirley Eaton perhaps?

I don't think I've seen the last of this actress somehow. Hopefully she'll have a credit in something that hasn't made it to her filmography or I'll recognise her in something where she wasn't. The usual plea to end this post ... Let us know you're alright, Imogen.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 12-10-13 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Minor changes.

Senior Member Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Didn't expect to see the late, great Paul Young (1947-2000), front man for Sad Café and Mike and the Mechanics, name dropped here.

Liked
    177 times
    Happy New Year to Euryale, wearysloth and others who have shown interest in this thread.

Re: Mark Elwes (posts #66 and 68, page 4)

A surprise find at The Stage Archive recently, from the 20th June 1963 edition:

Is he still married to Valerie Bland? If so, they celebrated their Golden wedding anniversary this year. No IMDb profile for
    Valerie. There is one for the equally-obscure Carol Booth, however. I'm a bit confused about James Wesley Huguely ...

This webpage indicates that he was previously married to Edie Kramer:

Our Collective Memories : Information about James Wesley Huguely

But this obituary, surely for the same (multi-talented) man, refers to only one wife - Mary Krause:

Los Angeles Times - James Wesley Huguely

IMDb filmography for Jay Huguely

I believe Jay was married to three actresses and that he and Carol Booth emigrated to America soon after his appearance in Armchair Theatre.

Liked
    80 times
    Happy New Year to Euryale, wearysloth and others who have shown interest in this thread.

Re: Mark Elwes (posts #66 and 68, page 4)

A surprise find at The Stage Archive recently, from the 20th June 1963 edition:

Is he still married to Valerie Bland? If so, they celebrated their Golden wedding anniversary this year.

By the time I've gotten round to answering this, Mark and Valerie have been married for fifty-one years! But yes, they are still married and now live in East Anglia. They have a son and a daughter. Mark's full name is Mark Gervase Elwes and he was born in 1931, the son of High Court judge, Richard Elwes (1901-1968):

I think you asked earlier if Mark was related to the Hollywood star Cary Elwes. Indeed he is. This is the ancestor they have in common:

That is the famous British tenor, Gervase Elwes (1866-1921). He died in a railway accident in Boston, USA. He is the grandfather of Mark and the great-grandfather of Cary. In other words, Mark is the first cousin of Cary's father, the artist Dominick Elwes. Mark's older sister was the late TV broadcaster Polly Elwes.

E.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Just watching the start of Dunkirk (1958) and I spotted a young Liz Fraser as one of the uncredited workers in Holden's (Dickie Attenborough's) factory

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    I have to say having watched the whole series Brewster Mason was my favourite and what a voice, brilliant

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks, Euryale. Movie Dude, the Quatermass and the Pit 'Technician' on your Mark Elwes page is more like George Pravda!:

Quote Originally Posted by wadey View Post
    I have to say having watched the whole series [The Pallisers] Brewster Mason was my favourite and what a voice, brilliant
    Looking at some of last year's (unsorted) captures, I was reminded of this young lady. Is she thread subject Maria Kazan?:

From the H. G. Wells' Invisible Man episode The Mink Coat (1959). I'm particularly interested in what Movie Dude and
    Dave Wright think, remembering earlier correspondence here. This was filmed a year after Carve Her Name with Pride.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It certainly looks just like her Cornershop. But she reminds me of someone else who I cannot place at the moment. I've been scratching my head for two hours trying to recall who it is but it won't come. Perhaps I'll remember later.