+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vaggmk1938 View Post
    Another of Baz's solo efforts (my copy courtesy of a Forum member) is The Galloping Major. It combines for me a keen interest in racing and the appearance of another of my all-time favourites: Hugh Griffith
    CA Lejeune was also a fan of The Galloping Major though she seems more taken with the actor in the title role that with any of the human artistes

(In case anyone is wondering what happened at the 1951 Grand National, it seems to have been a bit of a c**k up

The 1951 Grand National started with an error when Leslie Firth pressed the lever with half of the runners still milling about. The race was not recalled and the thirty-six jockeys who began the race desperately tried to get their mounts in the race. Many of the horses fell early mainly due to this with only five horses left at the end of the first circuit. The horse, which won was another mare "Nickel Coin" ridden by John Bullock with the pair having had odds of 40-1 followed by "Royal Tan" in second and "Derrinstown" who had to be remounted by jockey Mr. A Power finishing third and last as only three horses completed the course.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vaggmk1938's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    For those of you, like me, have often wondered where some of the Captain's images come from, here are five scenes from what might be considered the ultimate Baz/NW film: Stop Press Girl from 1949—the two play five different cameo roles. There is the added attraction of a very brief appearance by Kenneth More and an early romantic lead by Gordon Jackson and James Robertson Justice huffing and puffing as usual

Last edited by vaggmk1938; 29-10-11 at 07:32 PM.

Liked
    12 times
    And that dreadful, silly hat?

A child's tea party for Nova Pilbeam's cousin (Baz is the child's father, pictured here with her mother, Mary Clare) in Hitchcock's Young and Innocent 1937

Last edited by vaggmk1938; 29-10-11 at 07:33 PM.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    And nobody has posted anything about The Titfield Thunderbolt with NW in a solo performance...

Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mallee59 View Post
    And nobody has posted anything about The Titfield Thunderbolt with NW in a solo performance...
    I can't. My Titfield is a PAL DVD and i can only use American region DVDs on my MAC. Over to you, Captain.

Liked
    492 times
    For those of you, like me, have often wondered where some of the Captain's images come from, here are five scenes from what might be considered the ultimate Baz/NW film: Stop Press Girl from 1949—the two play five different cameo roles. There is the added attraction of a very brief appearance by Kenneth More and an early romantic lead by Gordon Jackson and James Robertson Justice huffing and puffing as usual
    Ah, the Kind Hearts and Coronets of Baz/NW films

And that dreadful, silly hat?

A child's tea party for Nova Pilbeam's cousin (Baz is the child's father, pictured here with her mother, Mary Clare) in Hitchcock's Young and Innocent 1937
    Plot hole alert - why weren't Nova's little brothers invited to the party?

Quote Originally Posted by mallee59 View Post
    Naunton in a bedroom again - with a woman

He did some great solo performances. I particularly like his sneaky car dealer in Circle of Danger

Last edited by CaptainWaggett; 30-10-11 at 07:10 AM.

Liked
    144 times
    Is it in Million Like Us where they are both soldiers and have a discussion about someone's valet and mines in the sea ??
    I'll look on Amazon.uk if it's available...

This Internet stuff is going to kill me ...
    Last edited by moonfleet; 30-10-11 at 08:19 AM.

Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    CA Lejeune was also a fan of The Galloping Major though she seems more taken with the actor in the title role that with any of the human artistes

(In case anyone is wondering what happened at the 1951 Grand National, it seems to have been a bit of a c**k up
    Interesting fact No 27777 : Nickel Coin ( the 1951 winner ) is still the last mare to win the Grand National, who said this forum isn't informative

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfleet View Post
    Is it in Million Like Us where they are both soldiers and had a discussion about someone's valet and mines in the sea ??
    I'll look on Amazon.uk if it's available...

This Internet stuff is going to kill me ...
    Yes indeed- they take a couple of very uncomfortable train journeys (so no suprise there ) and mine a beach

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    Interesting fact No 27777 : Nickel Coin ( the 1951 winner ) is still the last mare to win the Grand National, who said this forum isn't informative
    A thread about two of the finest actors to appear in British films and all you want to talk about is horses . Wasn't there a National when every rider but the winner really did fall off?

Liked
    137 times
    A thread about two of the finest actors to appear in British films and all you want to talk about is horses . Wasn't there a National when every rider but the winner really did fall off?
    Yes 1928 when Tipperary Tim won

See fact No 27 attached :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/engli...acts_three.stm
    Last edited by dpgmel; 30-10-11 at 08:26 AM.

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgmel View Post
    Yes 1928 when Tipperary Tim won

See fact No 27 attached :

BBC Sport | In Depth | Other Sports | Grand National
    There's even a tic-tac man !!

BBC Sport | In Depth | Other Sports | Tic tac guide

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Nice to see Baz in colour!

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brief Encounter View Post
    Nice to see Baz in colour!
    I hope you're not confusing your Caldicott with your Charters What do they teach the young folk at film school nowadays ?

Have a Times obituary

Liked
    492 times
    I've always thought that Mr Wayne appeared in quite a few well-known films but it seems I was mistaken according to this obituary from the Guardian

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pemberton View Post
    I agree, though my favourite off character role for Mr Radford is surprisingly Chance of a Lifetime not the greatest film ever and heavily dated but it showed his excellent acting versatility
    Coincidentally I watched this last night and although he and it was extremely good, it was marred by very poor sound quality. Basil was at times barely audible. I assume this must have been a poor transfer by ITV (it's part of a Kenny More collection issued by them).

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Coincidentally I watched this last night and although he and it was extremely good, it was marred by very poor sound quality. Basil was at times barely audible. I assume this must have been a poor transfer by ITV (it's part of a Kenny More collection issued by them).
    Coincidentally I too watched this last night (to check that the two forum members who recently cast nasturtiums on it in the Watched last Night Thread were Wrong . You'll be relieved to hear that they are wrong and it's a terrific film ) and the sound seemed fine to me. Perhaps a dud copy? Has anyone else noticed any issues with it?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    The sound was fine for me too. And it's a cracking little film.

Nick

Liked
    12 times
    Coincidentally I too watched this last night (to check that the two forum members who recently cast nasturtiums on it in the Watched last Night Thread were Wrong . You'll be relieved to hear that they are wrong and it's a terrific film ) and the sound seemed fine to me. Perhaps a dud copy? Has anyone else noticed any issues with it?
    I watched my copy about a month ago and the sound was fine. I think I got it off E-Bay several years ago, so it was undoubtedly a pirated copy, but both the sound and audio were fine.

To revert to member "Brief Encounter" and his confusion about our two characters, maybe he should have more than a passing, or brief, encounter with these two, together and in tandem—they are very, very worthwhile, both in humourous and more serious roles.

Liked
    12 times
    After my last post I wondered if Baz did make a colour film. IMdb confirms that he never appeared in a colourful film (an oxymoron of the grossest kind), but I expect we should await confirmation from the highest source—I refer to Captain W.

NW, on the other hand, made three colour films, of which I have only seen one TTT. The other two get abysmal ratings from IMdb; they are: Operation Bullshine and You Know What Sailors Are. Have any members seen them, and are they as bad as the ratings suggest, or is it the usual US failure to appreciate the more subtle aspects of Brit humour?