+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Stride

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Ok WEC, consulting my old collection of Who's Who on TV, John was/is married to the actress April Wilding and they have three daughters Phillippa, Lindsay & Eleanor. A bit of research on the BT 192 site lists John E. April M. & Eleanor P. Stride as living in SW London on the 2002 electoral role, but nothing seems to be listed after 2002. I'm afraid my 192 access is a bit limited and I can't trace an ex directory address without shelling out a kings ransom.
    The trail after 2002 seems to have gone cold again, but if John has sadly passed away, it must have been within the past few years.

Tigon.

Liked
    80 times
    It appears that John's second wife, April Stride (nee April Mavis P. Wilding, born Lancashire, 1941) died in 2003. Cannot find any news of John's death, but if Martin Shaw had it wrong, I think the Stride family might possibly have made some public statement.

E.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Thanks Tigon and Euryale for your much valued research and input. We will get to the bottom of this mystery one day.

wec

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    John Stride's entry from the programme of "The Country Girl", with Hannah Gordon and Martin Shaw in 1983. No personal information to speak of, but a lot of information about his professional work.

Liked
    154 times
    Excellent post Moyra. Many thanks.

wec

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I am a great fan of John Stride - I saw him in several plays at the National Theatre in the early seventies, and particularly remember him in Chekhov's Three Sisters. I saw him in Malet Street, London, around that time and asked for his autograph - all I had was a paper bag for him to write on - he was very kind, and I still have the autograph. Years later he and Jeremy Brett were brilliant, along with Vanessa Redgrave, in Noel Coward's Design for Living. I saw it four times. Brilliant! (Sorry, repetitious, but true.) I've been trying my best to trace him, mainly on line, for a long time, with no success at all. That's how I came across this forum, and the Britmovie website.

I'm certain that Equity will have the information, though I have tried and failed to get into their online records, as I believe an earlier poster here has too. What if he had gone to live abroad? USA, Australia? If anyone has any ideas, I'll do anything I can to help trace him. Whether he is living or dead, we all want to show our respect for him.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Thanks for THE MAIN CHANCE title sequence, wec. I remember that very well and still have an audio recording of the theme!

Coincidentally, while looking for something else, I came across these TV Times clippings today:

Transmitted on 2nd September 1973.

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by savila60 View Post
    I am a great fan of John Stride - I saw him in several plays at the National Theatre in the early seventies, and particularly remember him in Chekhov's Three Sisters. I saw him in Malet Street, London, around that time and asked for his autograph - all I had was a paper bag for him to write on - he was very kind, and I still have the autograph. Years later he and Jeremy Brett were brilliant, along with Vanessa Redgrave, in Noel Coward's Design for Living. I saw it four times. Brilliant! (Sorry, repetitious, but true.) I've been trying my best to trace him, mainly on line, for a long time, with no success at all. That's how I came across this forum, and the Britmovie website.

I'm certain that Equity will have the information, though I have tried and failed to get into their online records, as I believe an earlier poster here has too. What if he had gone to live abroad? USA, Australia? If anyone has any ideas, I'll do anything I can to help trace him. Whether he is living or dead, we all want to show our respect for him.
    Welcome to the forum savila and thanks for contributing to this thread You're so lucky to have met John. I never have but I have long admired him as an actor. His performances always make me sit up and take notice. A truly great british actor.

If you found this forum looking for information on him let's hope it attracts more. I share with you your interest in trying to find out what has happened to him, and I'm sure others like Tigon Man do also. It's like you say, living or dead we want to pay our respects.

wec

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Thanks for THE MAIN CHANCE title sequence, wec. I remember that very well and still have an audio recording of the theme!

Coincidentally, while looking for something else, I came across these TV Times clippings today:

Transmitted on 2nd September 1973.
    Thanks for the TV Times clippings Gerald.

wec.

Senior Member Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    His daughters
    Philippa, Eleanor and Lindsay have a reference here
    Philippa Stride is fundraising for The Fire Fighters Charity
    Philippa may have a facebook page if anyone has facebook, I loathe it myself...

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Only a brief post for now, but I am very pleased that I can confirm that John Stride is still with us. I will elaborate when time allows...

Smudge

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Only a brief post for now, but I am very pleased that I can confirm that John Stride is still with us. I will elaborate when time allows...

Smudge
    That's excellent news Smudge. So much for Martin Shaw's information and the commentary on The Omen DVD. I look forward to hearing more soon. Cheers.

wec

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    is john stride the main actor in 'the ice house' and 'the photograph' (play for today)?

Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    is john stride the main actor in 'the ice house' and 'the photograph' (play for today)?
    He was in the 'Ghost Story' The Ice House with Elizabeth Romilly. I think it first went out at the time of The Signalman with Denholm Elliott. However, I'm not certain of my facts.

wec

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellendcanons View Post
    He was in the 'Ghost Story' The Ice House with Elizabeth Romilly. I think it first went out at the time of The Signalman with Denholm Elliott. However, I'm not certain of my facts.

wec
    'the ice house' was the next 'ghost story for christmas' after 'the signalman' (1976),i thought i recognised the name!

Liked
    100 times
    i tell a lie-it was two after 'the signalman'-'stigma' being inbetween!

Liked
    114 times
    John was indeed the lead in The Photograph too...

Smudge
    Last edited by smudge; 25-02-11 at 01:11 PM.

Liked
    114 times
    I've been in touch with John's daughter and we've chatted about both her Mum (Virginia Stride) and her Dad.

John is, as I said, still with us but sadly hasn't enjoyed the best of health in recent years. Unlike her Mum John gave up acting a while ago - Virginia has appeared on TV as recently as the latest series of Hustle on BBC 1 and she still appears onstage in touring productions.

John's daughter is both pleased and intrigued with the interest in both her parents and I am sure we will chat a little more as time goes on. I've asked her to pass on good wishes to both her parents on behalf of all of us here and to remind them both that they and their work are very much appreciated to this day.

Obviously I'll pass on any comments I receive from John, Virginia or the family. I have 'borrowed' a selection of the posts from this thread for them to read and John's daughter has asked me to pass on her best wishes to all of John and Virginia's aficionados out here in webland!

Smudge

Liked
    154 times
    This is fantastic news! Excellent work Smudge. This has absolutely made my day. It's so wonderful to receive such good news like this. Well done mate.

wec

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Great work smudge - good to know that John S is still around. A happy ending to all the speculation. (I wonder who Martin Shaw was thinking about when he said he had passed?).