+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mario Fabrizi

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone has any biographical information on the great Mario Fabrizi?

Because he died so long ago it seems that he's been all but forgotten. This is a real shame as he was one of our best young charachter actors in the 1950's and early 60's. All I've come up with so far are details of his family when he died..

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Hoggers

Liked
    3 times
    (hoggers @ Dec 8 2005, 11:49 AM)

Morning All,

I was wondering if anyone has any biographical information on the great Mario Fabrizi?

Because he died so long ago it seems that he's been all but forgotten. This is a real shame as he was one of our best young charachter actors in the 1950's and early 60's. All I've come up with so far are details of his family when he died..

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Hoggers
    Mario Fabrizi was born in 1925, and was well known for his role as Corporal "Moosh" Merryweather in "The Army Game" in the late 50's. He also appeared in 22 of the 63 "Hancock's Half Hour" BBC television series, with in one of the ATV series, "The Assistant", as well as Hancock's two films "The Rebel" and "The Punch and Judy Man".

Mario Fabrizi collapsed and died at his Willesden, London home on April 6th 1963, aged 38. A week before his death he had announced that he was leaving show business to join an advertising firm selling screen space, because he had not had a job for four months.

At the time of his death his agent said "He was a man loved by everybody, and the sad thing about his death is that his last part - and his best part - was in Tony Hancock's latest film 'The Punch and Judy Man'. In that, he had virtually a star part and he was absolutely marvellous."

Mario Fabrizi had been in the entertainment business for around 20 years, and his lean and lanky appearance were familiar to television viewers of the period. He married Katherine Boyne, a beauty expert from Leeds in May 1960. They had a son in 1961.

Liked
    0 times
    (samkydd @ Dec 8 2005, 12:17 P

Mario Fabrizi was born in 1925, and was well known for his role as Corporal "Moosh" Merryweather in "The Army Game" in the late 50's. He also appeared in 22 of the 63 "Hancock's Half Hour" BBC television series, with in one of the ATV series, "The Assistant", as well as Hancock's two films "The Rebel" and "The Punch and Judy Man".

Mario Fabrizi collapsed and died at his Willesden, London home on April 6th 1963, aged 38. A week before his death he had announced that he was leaving show business to join an advertising firm selling screen space, because he had not had a job for four months.

At the time of his death his agent said "He was a man loved by everybody, and the sad thing about his death is that his last part - and his best part - was in Tony Hancock's latest film 'The Punch and Judy Man'. In that, he had virtually a star part and he was absolutely marvellous."

Mario Fabrizi had been in the entertainment business for around 20 years, and his lean and lanky appearance were familiar to television viewers of the period. He married Katherine Boyne, a beauty expert from Leeds in May 1960. They had a son in 1961.
    cheers for that. I also found that biog but it seems to be the only one on the net... Doesn't tell you much really...

Liked
    3 times
    (hoggers @ Dec 8 2005, 12:34 PM)

cheers for that. I also found that biog but it seems to be the only one on the net... Doesn't tell you much really...
    That's all I could find as well. I suppose you could try the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society who may have background information on many of the regulars who appeared with him!

The Tony Hancock Appreciation Society Website

Mario Fabrizi always reminded me of someone from the music hall or silent film era and wouldn't look out of place in one of those Mitchell & Kenyon films!

Liked
    0 times
    (samkydd @ Dec 8 2005, 02:08 PM)

That's all I could find as well. I suppose you could try the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society who may have background information on many of the regulars who appeared with him!

The Tony Hancock Appreciation Society Website

Mario Fabrizi always reminded me of someone from the music hall or silent film era and wouldn't look out of place in one of those Mitchell & Kenyon films!

Spot on!

In my opinion his best performance was in a silent role. He played Ron Moody's valet in The Mouse On The Moon and for me stole the entire film..

Hoggers

Liked
    0 times
    (samkydd @ Dec 8 2005, 12:17 PM)

Does anybody remember an even leaner and lankier comedian from around the same time who was called, I seem to remember, Ted Loon? Like Mario Fabrizi he used to pop up on various shows from time to time but was in a popular series whose name (and practically everything else about it) escapes me.

Liked
    0 times
    (Jeff @ Dec 8 2005, 03:12 PM)

Does anybody remember an even leaner and lankier comedian from around the same time who was called, I seem to remember, Ted Loon? Like Mario Fabrizi he used to pop up on various shows from time to time but was in a popular series whose name (and practically everything else about it) escapes me.

Ted..Lune

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    I hadn't realised he was so young. I suppose it was the moustache and slicked back hair.

FELL

Liked
    3 times
    (Fellwanderer @ Dec 8 2005, 06:31 PM)

I hadn't realised he was so young. I suppose it was the moustache and slicked back hair.

FELL
    I think men looked older then anyway FELL. Probably the clothes and hairstyles. If you remember what your Dad used to wear it'd be the same at 60 as he wore at 30, slacks, suit type jacket, shirt and tie! He wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of faded Levi's and a tee-shirt, whereas now even the fossils go out in logo fashions, sportswear, trainers, Levi jackets etc. Quite unnerving!

Liked
    0 times
    (arty-dave @ Dec 8 2005, 03:22 PM)

Ted..Lune
    Thanks arty-dave. The spelling, of course, makes all the difference. I now realise that Ted Lune was a regular on "The Army Game".....fancy forgetting that!

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (samkydd @ Dec 8 2005, 07:31 PM)

I think men looked older then anyway FELL. Probably the clothes and hairstyles. If you remember what your Dad used to wear it'd be the same at 60 as he wore at 30, slacks, suit type jacket, shirt and tie! He wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of faded Levi's and a tee-shirt, whereas now even the fossils go out in logo fashions, sportswear, trainers, Levi jackets etc. Quite unnerving!
    Ah! You've obviously spotted me somewhere!

You're right though - our parents generation were much more conservative in every way. Thank goodness for the Sixties

FELL

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (arty-dave @ Dec 8 2005, 03:22 PM)

Ted..Lune
    As per the photo, also a featured player in THE ARMY GAME. Always reminded me of a 'low-rent' version of Frank Randle.

SMUDGE

Liked
    1 times
    (Jeff @ Dec 8 2005, 03:12 PM)

Does anyone remember an even more Leaner & lankier comedian called Eli Woods, Jimmy James's stooge. He made Ted Lune look over weight.

Cheers

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (tonewheel @ Dec 9 2005, 06:45 PM)

Does anyone remember an even more Leaner & lankier comedian called Eli Woods, Jimmy James's stooge. He made Ted Lune look over weight.

Cheers
    Yes - Eli Woods supported many of the great comedians over the years. As my workmate says, "Seen more meat on a butcher's pencil !" Despite those hang-dog looks and dim persona, he was very much respected in the industry as one of the greats.

I ran into him years ago when he was doing a Panto in Brum ; and still virtually the same act !

SMUDGE