Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    oldest actor ? matthews

oldest actress kathleen harrison 103 dec

Liked
    0 times
    I'm probably going to look a bit dense now but to whom does 'Matthews' refer to?

For oldest actor still working I was going to vote for my personal favourite Bill Kerr (Australian I know, but he worked in Britain and British films for 30 years) who is now 81, still working and has seemingly been in regular employment since the late 1940s.

But then I remembered that Sir John Mills is still going and he's 95 I think.

Liked
    151 times
    Jessie Matthews? (can't help further than that :) )

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    no it was a man always played a dotty old cornel remember him on a mecanical horse and also a tache died at a ripe old age what was his name matthews i remember a e matthews hewas old

Liked
    0 times
    A E Mathews?

He was I think 90 when he stopped acting.

I remember the story that, when listening to a very boring speech, Matthews shouted out something along the lines of 'Doesn't he know I haven't got long to live?' :)

I think John Mills has beaten his record now, Mills was born in 1908 and can be seen in the new movie 'Bright Young Things' (snorting coke,apparently!)

Liked
    0 times
    I always wait for the Times each morning. I look at the obituary column and if I’m not in it, I go to work.

A. E. Matthews (1869-1960)

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Kathleen Harrison may have been 103 when she died but was only 87 when she last worked. I'm sure that has been beaten.

What exactly is the poll meant to be asking?

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    John Gielgud was working up to a month before his death at age 96 in 2000. His film career spanned 76 years I believe.

The oldest ever actress - irrespective of career duration and nationality - was a frenchwoman Jeanne Louise Calment (1875-1997) who played herself in "Vincent and Me" in 1990 aged 114. Incidentally, she was also the oldest woman that ever lived who could document her age conclusively - 122 years 164 days.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Best thing I've read all day...Louise C. lived 122.5 years! It must be the red wine :)

Best

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    Watched yesterday Up the Junction (1968) and was intrigued to re-unite with a baby faced Denis Waterman and other familiar faces. Got me thinking as to who is the oldest brit actor still working, films or tv. The oldest i can come up with is Peter Sallis who had a cameo in Saturday Night & Sunday Morning (1960) and is still working in "the Wine" on tv 46 years later.

Cheers, The Worm

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    (bloodworm @ Mar 15 2006, 12:29 PM)

Watched yesterday Up the Junction (1968) and was intrigued to re-unite with a baby faced Denis Waterman and other familiar faces. Got me thinking as to who is the oldest brit actor still working, films or tv. The oldest i can come up with is Peter Sallis who had a cameo in Saturday Night & Sunday Morning (1960) and is still working in "the Wine" on tv 46 years later.

Cheers, The Worm
    The great cinematographer Jack Cardiff is approaching his 92nd birthday in September. He began as a child actor and although not acting now or for a long time, he's pretty spry and I'll bet he'd love a role in a film. He says he always preferred acting and directing to being behind the camera. He is still working, still receiving awards, still appearing on fascinating panel discussions, and serving as a consultant on films. He's a very young almost 92.

Best,

Barbara

Liked
    0 times
    (theuofc @ Mar 15 2006, 01:12 PM)

The great cinematographer Jack Cardiff is approaching his 92nd birthday in September. He began as a child actor and although not acting now or for a long time, he's pretty spry and I'll bet he'd love a role in a film. He says he always preferred acting and directing to being behind the camera. He is still working, still receiving awards, still appearing on fascinating panel discussions, and serving as a consultant on films. He's a very young almost 92.

Best,

Barbara
    Nice to hear that Jack is still going strong and has an active mind at 91. lets hope that many of the forums members make it up that high in numbers, but i was thinking of actors still strutting there stuff for the camera longer than the 46 years that peter sallis represents

Cheers

the worm

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    At first I did think of Hugh Lloyd, born in 1923 he first appeared on screen in 1956 but as you can see 2 years younger than Mr. Sallis.

However I did have a lady in mind and my word am I shocked by this as she is still on our screens weekly and for me has never aged. Betty Driver who plays Betty Turpin in Coronation Street, born on 20th May 1920 and her first screen appearance was in 'Boots Boots' in 1934.

The stars were George and Betty Formby, also appearing was Wallace Bosco who appeared in Brief Encounter and A Canterbury Tale.

regards

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    I watched Riot at the Rite on TV and saw an actor there playing a member of the audience who looked elderly when he used to appear in episodes of Poirot etc. as butlers, vicars, bank managers etc. I don't know his name and I wonder if anybody else watched the programme and might be able to identify him. I guess he must now be nearing, if not in, his nineties.

Liked
    0 times
    (Freddy @ Mar 15 2006, 04:11 PM)

At first I did think of Hugh Lloyd, born in 1923 he first appeared on screen in 1956 but as you can see 2 years younger than Mr. Sallis.

However I did have a lady in mind and my word am I shocked by this as she is still on our screens weekly and for me has never aged. Betty Driver who plays Betty Turpin in Coronation Street, born on 20th May 1920 and her first screen appearance was in 'Boots Boots' in 1934.

The stars were George and Betty Formby, also appearing was Wallace Bosco who appeared in Brief Encounter and A Canterbury Tale.

regards

Freddy
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a real shock to me aswell. I was aware of Bettys age as she was interviewed recently on the box but i didnt realise she has been working for 72 years.What a woman !!! She makes Peter look like a newcomer.

C/U The Worm

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    How about Alfred Burke?

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    I would guess Norman Wisdom

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Isn't Norman Wisdom retired?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    (Marky B @ Mar 15 2006, 07:37 PM)

Isn't Norman Wisdom retired?

Ta Ta

Marky B
    He sure is,he retired at the ripe old age of 90 following a career spanning 7 decades. see The Norman Wisdom Website

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Jeff, you saw 90 year old Peter Copley in Riot at the Rites. I saw him filming the scenes. His film career began in 1934 in the British short "Tell Me If It Hurts", which was the first short film broadcast on television.