+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    YouTube - Thames Adverts, c. 1982 (1)

20 seconds into this compilation is an ad with the 2 Ronnies. Can anybody remind me of the name of the actress playing Ronnie Barker's wife in it? She's a well known character actress who I've seen in literally dozens of TV programmes over the years but.....what's her name??

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Hard to make out, as her appearance was only fleeting, but she looked to me like Penelope Wilton.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    It's not Penelope Wilton, but I can't put a name to her. Let me think about it....

Liked
    7 times
    She always plays formidable, usually humourless, Upper or Upper-middle class women, and has a prominent mole high on her cheekbone. When I can remember a production she was in I'll get it.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Any chance of a screen grab ? My machine's off YouTube at the mo' and needs some Flash updates...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Rowena Cooper? (aka Matron Marguerite 'Matey' Ballard from Rumpole)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Rowena Cooper! Rowena Cooper!

Well done, Arthur, for cracking it! And, yes, well remembered for playing the part of Matey in Rumpole of the Bailey but an awful lot else over the years!

Thanks also to Penfold and others for applying yourselves to the conundrum!

Liked
    7 times

In case anyone was wondering...well done Arthur. This was who I was struggling to put a name to......

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Ah, so that's who it is!..........I was looking at the Ad over and over again to try and make her out but it was so fast paced!

At first glance she has a look of Penelope Wilton/Hilary Tindall

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I hadn't come across this thread until now (another Who's Online discovery). Before I joined. Congratulations to Arthur Linden-
    Jones. Like MarkO, I think Rowena Cooper looks very like Hilary Tindall, who I know rather better. From the advert in question:

Yes, I remember it - 30+ years later. Specifically the moment she waves Goodbye to husband Ronnie Barker. Did you notice Robin Nedwell at the end of the Carling Black Label ad? Significantly, only four 1960s credits in Rowena's IMDb filmography (my preferred era): Dentist in the Chair; an episode of Inheritance; the lost Playhouse production The Curtis Affair; and an obscure 'Television Theatre' play called Sinking Fish Move Sideways, co-starring John Breslin - briefly seen only last week as Jane Merrow's husband in Danger Man.

Despite her long career, all I have at the moment are an appearance in Armchair Thriller (The Girl Who Walked Quickly) and unseen episodes of Going Straight, again starring Ronnie Barker. However, this Christmas I intend to buy the second series of Shelley, in which Miss Cooper has a recurring role, and The Two Ronnies Collection so she'll become a familiar face soon enough. Still hoping for a box set of Crown Court. Good to know Rowena is still active

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Rowena was marvellous as the hard-as-nails (to everyone except "Soapy" Sam Ballard) "matey" - another She Who Must Be Obeyed - in RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY. More recently, she appeared in a much gentler role for a tender scene in THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES ("Lost in Time").

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    Long married to another stern faced character actor Terrence Hardiman of Demon Headmaster and Doctor Who fame. They live in Kensal Rise NW London.

Member Country: Bangladesh
    Liked
    0 times
    Its actually Rowena. this is a great findings. It is really hard to find out....