+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Beautiful and talented French actress Olga Georges-Picot, was born on the 6th January 1944 in Shanghai, China and was the daughter of the ambassador Guillaume Georges-Picot and of a Russian mother. The highly gifted Olga studied at the Actor’s Studio in Paris. Her acting career covered many diverse French/English film and television roles; she featured in Playboy magazine/Sex in the Cinema and on the front cover of the periodical Adam.

She played important roles in three classic mainstream films: The Day of the Jackal as Denise (1973), Love and Death as Countess Alexandrovna (1975) and The Man Who Haunted Himself as Julie Anderson (1970). Her break-through movie was as Catrine in Je t'aime, je t'aime (1968).

Olga died in extremely tragic, possibly mysterious and certainly dramatic, circumstances 11 years ago in June 1997 aged just 53.

Biographical information on her life and career leading to her tragic apparent suicide on Thursday, 19th June, 1997 is very limited, incomplete and unclear – but it seems, from English/French researches I’ve been able to glean, that Olga suffered from severe depression which sadly, finally and shockingly resulted in a fatal suicide jump from the 5th floor of an apartment building overlooking the river Seine, Paris.

A beautiful, talented actress – who died too young.

RIP Olga.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Another 'Who's Online' discovery ...

Sorry you had to wait so long for a response, 'Mrs. Peel'. Poor Olga - what a terrible tragedy.

Roger Moore sounded noticeably shocked to learn of his co-star's death when told during the

commentary for The Man Who Haunted Himself DVD, from which I found this publicity still:

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I watched The Man Who Haunted Himself recently and then listened to the audio-commentary afterwards. Roger Moore did seem shocked to me, to hear of Olga's death. That was how I learned of her death as well.

That's my favourite Roger Moore film.

Olga's performance was superb in that film, never knowing what mood Roger was in! Or indeed, which Roger she was with! It's so tragic she died so young. It's a great shame.

Thanks Mrs Peel for the tribute.

Wellendcanons.

Liked
    155 times
    Thanks cornershop and wellendcanons. That’s a lovely publicity picture of Olga.

I must listen to Roger Moore’s DVD audio commentary on The Man Who Haunted Himself (a brilliantly inventive and one of my favourite thrillers) I haven’t yet heard Roger talking about Olga’s tragic death.

In June 2008 I was looking up information on the beautiful Olga on her IMDb page … and was shocked to read first, that she had died so young 53 … and even more shocked when I read the stated cause of her death … just the one shocking word … suicide.

I did as much research as I could … but information on Olga is very scarce … I finally found a French site and got a reasonable translation which reported her deep depression and apparent suicide jump … however, there was also a mysterious, tantalisingly vague unconfirmed report that there may have been someone else in her 5th storey Paris apartment with her at the time of her death.

Just a few months after my own original Britmovie tribute to this lovely lady … Wikipedia have generously reproduced much of my original Britmovie tribute … but I was pleased to make Britmovie first in my to attempt to write proper and deserved tribute to this tragic gorgeously gifted French actress.

Thanks again for your kind words cornershop and wellendcanons.

Emma

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    I'd like to extend my thanks as well, I remember her in The Day of The Jackal, a lovely lady. So sad she died despairing.

Freddy

Liked
    155 times
    Thanks Freddy.

Emma

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    You're welcome Mrs Peel. Thanks once again for the tribute to Olga. If it wasn't for people like you who painstakingly take the time and effort to research Olga's life then people like me would never be any the wiser.

I loved the film The Man Who Haunted Himself and Olga's performance in that film was excellent. I don't think Roger talked much about her death on the audio commentary, but he clearly had no idea she had died and he was very saddened to hear the news.

Wellendcanons.

Liked
    177 times
    Publicity picture for her role as Louise Frosne in

Orson Welles' Great Mysteries - Money to Burn:

The 1973 episode also starred Isobel Dean and Glyn Owen

Liked
    177 times
    French actor Jean Sobieski and his wife Olga Georges-Picot

Date photographed: 23rd July 1966 (apparently)

Liked
    177 times
    An unexpected return to this thread as I continue to research forgotten Sixties show How (Late) It Is ...

Newcomer Olga shared top-billing in the William Hickey column (Daily Express), 21st March 1969: