+ Reply to Thread

Thread: elizabeth lax

Liked
    0 times
    hi does anyone have any more details of the very attractive elizabeth lax who played wendy in whatever happened to the likely lads sorry to learn that she passed away at the very young age of 46

Liked
    80 times
    There is a little in this newspaper article from 2006:

Elizabeth fought for acting chance - Nostalgia - Community - Rochdale Observer

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I remember her as Wendy, Rodney Bewes secretary, and really liked her. The episode In Harm's Way (where Bob is in hospital with a broken leg) was shown during BBC's Children In Need Appeal in 1982, one of my first video recordings. I accidentally wiped it off after a year and haven't seen it since, so I must get the DVD. She was lovely wasn't she?

It was a few years ago I learned, on IMDB, that she died and I knew nothing about her until Euryale's link (thanks very much). She accomplished quite a lot in her short life but this hasn't been reflected in her IMDB credits. That article will fill a lot of the blanks when it's updated. RIP Elizabeth.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='cornershop15']It was a few years ago I learned, on IMDB, that she died and I knew nothing about her until Euryale's link (thanks very much). She accomplished quite a lot in her short life but this hasn't been reflected in her IMDB credits. That article will fill a lot of the blanks when it's updated. RIP Elizabeth.

I have worked out which episode of Billy Liar she appeared in and will update that. Not much but it's a start. The Patton credit surprised me but maybe this was more of a bit part?

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks Geoffers. I know the Billy Liar series is on DVD but am waiting to see if there's a boxset. It amazed me that she was in Patton too. It can only have been a bit part (if that!) but how did she get to be in the film anyway? Intriguing.

Liked
    0 times
    hi my name is lawrence buckley, i am elizabeths lax's son (lax was her maiden name) if you have any questions about her career i can help.

Liked
    177 times
    name='lawrenceB']hi my name is lawrence buckley, i am elizabeths lax's son (lax was her maiden name) if you have any questions about her career i can help.

Hello Lawrence. I've only just noticed your reply (very busy here last night) and am really pleased you've joined. To be honest, my main memory of Elizabeth is in that Likely Lads episode I mentioned earlier, In Harm's Way - she was wonderful in that (although I did see at least one other episode she was in) and worked well with Rodney Bewes.

You asked if we have any questions and I suppose the obvious one is how Elizabeth got on with Rodney, bearing in mind his 'difficult' reputation. I hope they were friends as I've always been a fan of his, personally speaking! Also, did she give up being an actress, circa 1978, to raise her family?

Elizabeth Lax on DVD:

The good news is that, as well as the later series - and film - of The Likely Lads, most of her appearances, as credited on IMDB, are available, the exception being the Z Cars episode Local Knowledge, which I'm relieved (as well as delighted) to say exists - unlike most of the others. We can but hope this gets a release too.

As I don't have any captures of Elizabeth, would you mind posting us a nice picture here?

Years late I know, but I'm very sorry for your loss.

Kindest regards,

Cornershop

Liked
    0 times
    hi, i have spoke with my farther about my mums realationship with rodney bewes, and he said that my mum always felt that he was quite a hard person to get on with, and that he wouldnt open up or let anyone close, where as james bolam was the complete oposite!! my dad also told me it was james who practically got my mum her part in the film, so i hope that helps you, i will post some pictures of my mum for wen when i get them off my dad, wot sort of pics would you like ??

Lawrence Buckley.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi lawrence, I was wondering if you'd managed to get the photos from your Dad? I was another who way back when was a major fan of your Mum in my (much) younger days!

Liked
    0 times
    I bought both colour series and the remaining black and white episodes of Bob and Terry's adventures when they were released a few years ago, and in fact the episode What Happened to Whatshername is playing just now (Elizabeth Lax is in the preceding episode Moving On). I was rather stunned when I learned of Elizabeth passing away at such a young age and it's poignant to consider that she was 12 years younger than James Bolam and Rodney Bewes.

It surprises me a little that Rodney Bewes was the more difficult actor to get close to, as I hadn't heard of his 'problematical' reputation. I'd have expected it to be the other way round, given James Bolam's public image of an intensely private man, however fans only see these scenarios through the lense of the media, and I realise the reality can be very different.

I didn't know that Elizabeth was a dancer, and I see from the Rochdale Observer link that she toured in Spring and Port Wine, which of course featured Rodney Bewes in the film version. I've been meaning to buy the Billy Liar TV series for some time, as I have the film and the book, having first seen the movie many years ago.

Liked
    177 times
    Hopefully the revival of this thread will inspire Lawrence to return and tell us more about his mother. I am not far away from seeing her appearance in Billy Liar now that I've finished the first series.

Three years later, I have at last got round to viewing Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? on DVD, and what a pleasure it was to be 'reacquainted' with Elizabeth again so many years after that repeat of In Harm's Way. Even that was 10 years after the original transmission.

Obviously, a sadder viewing of the series this time with the main stars so much older, my awareness of their falling out in real life, and a few supporting actors no longer with us (Ronald Lacey, for instance, and of course Elizabeth). Nevertheless, I've still loved watching this brilliant comedy again.

Elizabeth Lax in the 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?' episode Moving On

Her first scene is with James Bolam, who attends a job interview and meets secretary Wendy:

The pin-ups include David Bowie, David Cassidy & Donny Osmond and footballers Rod Marsh, George Best and maybe Alan Whittle?

In my opinion, the best close-up of Elizabeth in this sequence:

Broadcast 30th January 1973, when Sweet were No. 1 with Blockbuster
    Last edited by cornershop15; 08-08-12 at 11:29 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    The above episode has just been repeated on BBC4. I didn't realise until it was too late to notify you and there doesn't seem to be a BBC4 +1. Of course, if you have the series on DVD you'll have plenty of opportunities to see Elizabeth.

Euryale's link, to the Rochdale Observer, no longer works. However, the online version of the Manchester Evening News appears to have the same article, from 13th May 2006. I don't know how long that will last so better transcribe it here:

Elizabeth fought for acting chance

SINGER and dancer Elizabeth Lax's versatility meant she popped up regularly on stage and television.

Elizabeth, of North Parade, Haugh Lane, Newhey, was first seen in the early 70s as one of the TV Toppers in the 'Black and White Minstrel Show,' completing 580 performances. In addition she appeared in Granada series 'A Family At War', 'The Sinners' and a play called 'The Passenger.' Her film work included the epic 'Patton' starring George C Scott and 'Two Beauties' starring Bunny Lewis.

In June 1972 she took the lead role in the BBC comedy 'A Week on the Island.' The following year Elizabeth appeared in an episode of 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' as secretary Wendy. She must have made a good impression because she appeared in three episodes of the second series in 1974.

That same year she had a part in an episode of 'Billy Liar' which starred Jeff Rawle (later of 'Drop the Dead Donkey' fame) and 'Z Cars.' Elizabeth's small screen appearances continued with the part of Carol Webb in 'Coronation Street' and roles in 'Rogue's Gallery' and 'Main Chance.' A regular on stage in repertory theatre, she also played in a number of Bernard Delfont pantomimes.

In the mid 1970s her work took her abroad, first as principal dancer on Chandris cruise liner RHMS Amerikanis then to Bermuda to dance at the Holiday Inn. The early 1980s saw Elizabeth on tour with 'Love on the Dole' and 'Spring and Port Wine.'

For television there was a part in BBC series 'Juliet Bravo' and a rather painful encounter for Channel Four film 'The Life Story of Handel.' Her part as an opera singer required her to fight with a rival, played by international wrestler Mitzi Mueller!

That's where the tribute ends but I don't think it's complete. Neither is the photo (if this link works):

Elizabeth fought for acting chance | Rochdale Observer/Manchester Evening News

Strange things are happening at that website. When I revisited the page announcing singer
    Malcolm Roberts' death, in 2005, I noticed the original photo was replaced by a cropped one:

Blackley-born 60s pop star dies at wheel of car

I hope to return with more images of lovely Elizabeth soon (probably her role in TV's Billy Liar).

Liked
    80 times
    Elizabeth's full name was Elizabeth Marguerite Lax and she was born on 8th February 1950 according to the entry for her death in the BD&M records.

Elizabeth married her son Lawrence's father in 1983, but she had been married previously. Her first marriage was to Frank Lee-White. Frank (now deceased) was a choreographer and worked in theatre in the north-east of England. Frank helped launch the Manchester Musical Awards in 1994 and a prize bearing his name is given every year.

One curiosity is that Elizabeth appears to have married Frank twice - there is a marriage record for them in 1971 and in 1976, both times in Oldham.

E.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Seeing her picture,I can remember her. Tragic she died at such a young age.
    Elizabeth Lax RIP
    Mark