+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 50's & 60's

Liked
    0 times
    I'm a recent convert to the b&w movies of the late 50's early 60's (Brief Encounter, Hell Drivers, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, This Sporting Life). Are there any other's gems of this type that I should look out for?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    There are several b/w thrillers and *new wave* films of the period that are worth tracking down:

Violent Playground (1958) Stanley Baker as a tough Liverpool cop.

Blind Date (1959)Baker as a tough London cop.

Hell is a City (1960)Baker as a tough Mancunian cop.

The Criminal (1960)Baker on the other side of the law.

Prize of Arms (1962)Baker on the wrong side of the law again.

Enough of Baker. The other new wave films you should catch are A Taste of Honey, A Kind of Loving, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Billy Liar.

There is a discussion of 50/60s films on my website:

http://members.aol.com/cinemabritain/index.html

Liked
    0 times
    Thank's Dylan. I've included your site on my favourites. I'll certainly look out for those you've suggested. Stanley Baker is a favourite of mine along with the likes of Albert Finney, Diana Dors and Rachel Roberts. I'm trying to get a bio. of Rachel Roberts but to no avail any suggestions?

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>dylan:

There are several b/w thrillers and *new wave* films of the period that are worth tracking down:

Enough of Baker. The other new wave films you should catch are A Taste of Honey, A Kind of Loving, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Billy Liar.

[/b]
    Some very good recommendations to which i'd add Kes, Look Back in Anger and Room at the Top.

Liked
    0 times
    What about "A Taste of Honey" which is partly filmed and set in my home town of Salford. Based on the play by Sheila Delaney and starring Rita Tushingham.

There's "Billy Liar" too and "Love on the Dole" the film version of the work of another Salford writer, Walter Greenwood

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Don't forget Bryan Forbes who was very active during this period as actor/writer/director/producer and made a significant contribution to British cinema with such films as:- THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (1959), WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND (1961), ONLY TWO CAN PLAY (1962), THE L-SHAPED ROOM (1962) THE WHISPERERS (1967)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Don't forget Bryan Forbes who was very active during this period as actor/writer/director/producer and made a significant contribution to British cinema with such films as:- THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (1959), WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND (1961), ONLY TWO CAN PLAY (1962), THE L-SHAPED ROOM (1962) THE WHISPERERS (1967)

Liked
    0 times
    Thank's Frenchie and Hugo. They are now on my "must watch" list.

Many thank's.

Liked
    0 times
    Another two I would add, both starring Dirk Bogarde are: ACCIDENT (1967) and VICTIM (1961).

------------

Anthony