+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gandhi

Liked
    0 times
    Lord Mountbatten gives an American salute, with the palm parallel to the ground. The British salute is with the palm tipped upward, exposing all four fingers and thumb.

Who noticed Lord Mountbatten's salute?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Sorry to spoil your theory but that's the correct salute for the Royal Navy. It's only the Army & RAF that does the "palm outwards" salute (not sure about the Royal Marines).

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    SteveCrook:

Sorry to spoil your theory but that's the correct salute for the Royal Navy. It's only the Army & RAF that does the "palm outwards" salute (not sure about the Royal Marines).

Steve
    You're correct.

It's something to do with the admiralty not wanting dirty sailors to show the oil and grease on their hands.

Of course an American salute can be done without head dress, a British service cannot salute unless he/she is wearing head dress.

Liked
    418 times
    Polynikes:

You're correct.

It's something to do with the admiralty not wanting dirty sailors to show the oil and grease on their hands.
    I was told it was to show they weren't carrying a knife - especially in the days of the press-gang

(of course that doesn't allow for south-paws)

Of course an American salute can be done without head dress, a British service cannot salute unless he/she is wearing head dress.
    Not just their head dress (aka their hat or cap) but if their uniform is incomplete in any way. It's one they often get wrong in the movies. They occasionally get it right & have an American officer salute a British soldier (or sailor) and them not return the salute.

"You salute the King's (or Queen's) uniform not the person in it"

Cue for silly soldier (I think it was Jim Dale as the young Spike Milligan) saluting the uniform while it's hanging up.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    SteveCrook:

I was told it was to show they weren't carrying a knife - especially in the days of the press-gang

(of course that doesn't allow for south-paws).

Quite so - mind you how do you hold on to a knife in an army salute?

The RN have some strange foot drills too - they don't stamp their feet down for example - so as not to damage the wooden decks.

When in a location that exposes you to the view of an officer, a soldier should always be properly dressed. The exception is the head dress. When indoors, you may remove it and consequently every soldier does exactly that the instant he walks through a door.

They occasionally get it right & have an American officer salute a British soldier (or sailor) and them not return the salute.

When I was a soldier in Germany I was told that I most definitely WILL salute officers from other armies....I have saluted Americans, Germans, Dutch etc....& amongst them I'm sure there was a few corporals and sergeants too!

I once had a particularly objectionable officer and went out of my way to salute her just so she had to salute me back.....even better if she didn't have head dress on.

I think the best ever movie salute (British) was the airman who passes Richard Todd in the Dambusters in the last few frames.

The worst is a tie between Peter O'Toole's "Lawrence of Arabia" and Nigel Green's to Harry Andrews in "Play Dirty".

[ 04. May 2003, 14:46: Message edited by: Polynikes ]

Liked
    418 times
    Polynikes:

SteveCrook:

[snip]

I think the best ever movie salute (British) was the airman who passes Richard Todd in the Dambusters in the last few frames.

The worst is a tie between Peter O'Toole's "Lawrence of Arabia" and Nigel Green's to Harry Andrews in "Play Dirty".
    I think the one I like best is in A Canterbury Tale (1944). When the local boys have helped soldiers Dennis Price & John Sweet to solve the mystery of the glue-man they give the boys half a crown to buy a new football but then they step back, stand to attention & salute. Exactly the sort of thing young boys would love.

Liked
    0 times
    with the navy salute you should be able to look up into the palm of you hand

Liked
    0 times
    Steve

I think the one I like best is in A Canterbury Tale (1944). When the local boys have helped soldiers Dennis Price & John Sweet to solve the mystery of the glue-man they give the boys half a crown to buy a new football but then they step back, stand to attention & salute. Exactly the sort of thing young boys would love.

I will have to take your word for it Steve, I'm afraid I've never even heard of that movie let alone seen it.

I'd also like to add Charles Hawtrey's attempt at a salute in Carry on up the Kyber.