+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermission

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I have the video version of Battle of the Bulge,as well as the DVD versions of Spartacus and Lawrence of Arabia. People can't believe me when I tell them they have intermissions. However,for the life of me I can't explain why.

Can anyone help me out?

Be warned,I have a lot more questions to ask?

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The length of the films took up an entire cinema programme. In those days you normally got a second feature followed by a 10-minute interval in which popcorn and ice-cream were sold before the main feature began.

Imagine the ice-cream sales in the Lawrence of Arabia intermission.

Liked
    151 times
    One of the more innovative (in a William Castle style) intermissions is during The Beast Must Die, about 3/4 of the way thru the film stops and the director gives the audience 30 seconds to guess whodunit.

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>dylan:

The length of the films took up an entire cinema programme. In those days you normally got a second feature followed by a 10-minute interval in which popcorn and ice-cream were sold before the main feature began.

Imagine the ice-cream sales in the Lawrence of Arabia intermission. [/b]
    Do I understand that you really meant, "Why do your videos and DVDs still contain intermissions, since you can stop them yourself any time and fetch your ice-cream"? If so, does anyone know?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The intermissions usually had an overture to the second half to get people back in their seats. I assume this music is included in the videos/dvds.

Liked
    151 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>dylan:

Imagine the ice-cream sales in the Lawrence of Arabia intermission. [/b]
    Reminds me of Peter Sellers turning up the heating in The Smallest Show on Earth when there's an Ice Cold in Alex-style film showing.

Liked
    0 times
    The reason that epics such as Spartacus are transferred to video and DVD with their play-in (overture); intermission and play-out (exit) music intact is because collectors like to see and hear the whole film that they went to see in the cinema. To get as near to the original experience of going to see the film in the cinema as is possible on domestic equipment. It all adds to the atmosphere of the film. If you don't want to hear the extra music, you can always fast forward the tape (I don't know how you would do this on a DVD, though).

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DAVID RAYNER:

[snip]

If you don't want to hear the extra music, you can always fast forward the tape (I don't know how you would do this on a DVD, though). [/b]
    You fast forward the DVD :)

You can usually do that on most DVD players.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    The answer David Rayner gave was the one I suspected,but I thought there might have been a technical reason.

Anyway,when my numbers come up on the lottery and I can afford to built a small cinema with large plasma screen,relaxing chairs and a fridge for beer only,I will watch Lawrence of Arabia the way I've always wanted.

Ta Ta

Marky B