+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm looking for any information about Rita Waterhouse. She wrote, directed and starred in several British and French films, as well as dancing in several of the big Hollywood musicals. Any information, or even a point in the right direction, would be much appreciated!

Junior Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    No, IMDb will not help. Nowaday, it only contains a single doubtful entry for Rita Waterhouse in "Gone With the Wind" (Rita Waterhouse - IMDb). Until 2006, there was a filmography under that name, about 10 film big, as director ("Because She disobeyed", "I Know What I Want", "It Began in Brighton", "Amidst Us", "The Pink Fox" and maybe some others), but the name and films were removed after that. And unless mistaken, you cannot trace this name and these films elsewhere on the Internet, with reliable sources.

My belief is that this Rita Waterhouse is a hoax!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourvin View Post
    No, IMDb will not help. Nowaday, it only contains a single doubtful entry for Rita Waterhouse in "Gone With the Wind" (Rita Waterhouse - IMDb). Until 2006, there was a filmography under that name, about 10 film big, as director ("Because She disobeyed", "I Know What I Want", "It Began in Brighton", "Amidst Us", "The Pink Fox" and maybe some others), but the name and films were removed after that. And unless mistaken, you cannot trace this name and these films elsewhere on the Internet, with reliable sources.

My belief is that this Rita Waterhouse is a hoax!
    You can see the old IMDb entry on the Internet archive. As you say, it looks like a hoax entry. All of the films that were listed for her have been removed and the IMDb only remove titles reluctantly after their being queried by a lot of people and no evidence that they ever existed.

That just leaves "Rita" with an uncredited appearance in Gone With the Wind.
    You aren't supposed to be able to have an IMDb listing if you only have uncredited entries so really she shouldn't be on the IMDb at all

Steve

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Rita Waterhouse really does exist, or at least the lady the imdb entry identified as Rita Waterhouse does.She's the dark haired lady on the far right of the first picture which is from the British film Two Thousand Women (1944). Rita's on screen for about three seconds,so don't blink.(The young lady in the middle of the picture with the white stripes on her collar is a singer and actress called Hazel Bray. Does anyone have know anything about her?) The second image of Rita is from the Danny Kaye film The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), both uncredited of course. The imdb list of her films was pretty accurate as I have spotted her in many of them but I just can't dig up any new information on her and the sparse bits I do have I can't confirm.

Senior Member Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times
    Hazel Bray
    Daily Mirror September 9th, 1944
    she is pictured and a brief article describes her as from Leicester and
    as "an under 18 with proimise who is being sponsored"

I can find nothing else on Hazel or on Rita from that source

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for that wearysloth.It gives me a rough date of birth for Hazel Bray and a place where she lived.Two bits of information I didn't have before.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Me Eagle View Post
    Thanks for that wearysloth.It gives me a rough date of birth for Hazel Bray and a place where she lived.Two bits of information I didn't have before.
    A Hazel P Bray birth was registered in Leicester in the June quarter of 1924.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all I know this is an old post but hazel
    Bray is my nan she stared in a few films
    Last year we were invited to the
    To see her staring in A fim with Richard Attenborough called the 100 pound window
    It was Richard Attenborough
    First on screen performance I can't find the news paper article mentions
    If there is a link please let me know