+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    According to the Jun-45 issue of "The Prisoner of War" magazine published by the Red Cross and St John, during the War, Ealing Studios was intending to make a film to be called "Lovers Meeting" (as in "Journeys end in lovers meeting, Every wise man's son doth know" Twelfth Night AII) about POW life. I can't find any trace of this - maybe it wasn't made; maybe it was made in another name. Any ideas?

Liked
    0 times
    This sounds to me like The Captive Heart 1947 directed by Basil Dearden starring Michael Redgrave Jimmy Hanley Jack Warner.

Michael Redgrve plays a Czech patriot who assumes the iD of a Bitish prisoner and writes to the dead soldiers wife.

Very romantic with a lovely ending

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Great film, supremely well done in the Ealing tradition. Superbly acted by Michael Redgrave and the cast. I think Ealing filmed it in a real former German POW camp.

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    "The Captive Heart" is my favourite Ealing film, but sadly one that seems to have been forgotten. So tender, romantic and heartfelt, yet never sentimental or manipulative. Just a beautifully crafted piece. I have a lovely framed original poster of it above my desk here which is a constant reminder of just how good films can be. After feeling down about the latest Hollywood mega-budget rubbish I just need to take a glance at that poster and I remember why I fell in love with cinema in the first place.

Liked
    0 times
    Enjoyed reading your post about "THE CAPTIVE HEART". It got me thinking of Guy Middleton who plays Cap't Jim Grayson the officer always dreaming of food. I looked him up on IMBd but there was very little. One TV log and sixty odd films. Between a part in TV's Dr.Who 1963 and "OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR" 1969 theres a six year gap. Anyone know anything more about Guy?. He seemed to play a more reliable Terry-Thomas sort, officers of varying ranks and aristocratic duffers. As Fogroy "Up The Navey" in "THE RAKES PROGRESS" 1945 (I would love a copy)he had the best line at the end of the film. Summing up Rex Harrisons life in throw-away fashion. Must be more info about him out there.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Guy Middleton has always intrigued me too. Basically he just played the same character (himself, presumably, or very like him) in more or less every film he played - an amiable, gambling, drinking, sports schoolmastery, slightly buffoonish open top-car type. And yet there was more to him than that - one thing he always seemed to have was that indefinable screen "presence". And his voice - better heard than described!

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Here's another one Rob with that same kind of "presence" as old Guy, Anthony Dawson.What a face. If he asked you for money would you trust him?. He played some great Baddies, Cowards, Sneaks and first class S**TS. Must have had a great life going around the World and getting payed. He did not get big parts, more lines than David Lodge, but the same as Lodge, always in the location shots.