+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure this is a hoary old question but, being new around here, I thought I'd ask it anyway....

What constitutes a "British Film"?

I ask this because I've just watched the DVD of Dr Zhivago which is described by IMDB as an American production. Now, apart from Omar Sharif, Rod Steiger and, possibly, Geraldine Chaplin, all the cast are British; the director is English and, as far as I can tell, most of the crew was British.

Can I assume that the backing was in US dollars, making it an American film?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There are probably as many different opinions about that question as there are people giving answers to it. Especially with the more international production companies since about the 1970s.

I think my answer to the question would have to be "It's often impossible to attribute just one country to the production of a film. But does it matter?"

In the case of Dr Zhivago, yes it was an American production company that financed it (MGM).

Think about who goes up to collect the statue if it wins "Best Picture". It's usually the producer, not the director. In this case it was Carlo Ponti who would have collected it had it won.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Successive governments have changed the criteria down the years, the present one being that a British film is one in which 70% of the budget is spent in the UK. It's become much more complicated in recent years (and there was the recent closing of tax loopholes) because some British films are funded from maybe 3 or 4 EU states for tax reasons.

I tend to go on a combination of director, location and subject matter.

Liked
    0 times
    Right, guys, taking those thoughts on board, what would you consider to be a BritMovie for the purposes of this forum?

If I wanted to discuss, for the sake of argument, Dr Zhivago, would I expect to be told that this wasn't the place to do it?

I'm not wishing to appear argumentative, but as I say I'm a new guy here and I'd like to get a feel of the perameters for future reference.

Liked
    151 times
    akira:

If I wanted to discuss, for the sake of argument, Dr Zhivago, would I expect to be told that this wasn't the place to do it?
    There's no restrictions. It's just that most are British film aficionados or have a query related to it.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    That's what I like to hear - the only rule is that there are no rules, just decent behaviour :)

Most people here have a variety of interests and knowledge but the messages posted here should usually be related to British films or film-malkers, however loosely you choose to define that.

There is one thread called "Favourite Non British Film" in the forum for "Your Favourite British Films"

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought Carlo Ponti put up the cash and did it through MGM.

All the same, I think of Zhivago as, at least part British, because of David Lean and most of the acting team.

So I guess we can talk about Zhivago... partly. wink

Gibbie