+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    :) Hi there! I am researching films that were shot on location in Brighton. I have found it fairly easy to identify a vast number of productions but i am having trouble identifying exact locations in Brighton which feature in these films. Can anyone help me???? I have already seen the message board about locations where Quadrophenia was filmed but was wondering if anyone has info on other Brighton films including:

Brighton Rock

Oh! What A Lovely War

Dirty Weekend

The End of the Affair

Me without You

Under Suspicion

Mona Lisa

Carry on Girls / At Your Convenience

Circus

or any other film not on the list.

Any help / info would be greatly received! thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    There is a book *Kiss or Kill* about films shot on location in Brighton that will probably answer all your questions. It is available from the Brighton Pavilion Information Centre.

Oh,Waht A Lovely War was shot on the West Pier (RIP)

Rennie
    Go to the Wicked Lady web site discussion board. There has been reams of postings on films made in Brighton.

Liked
    0 times
    hi, in reference to films made in brighton, i'm deperately trying to BUY movies that where made there. films like "LOST" starring david farrar (1955)

and "KILL 1".

if anyone can help with a site or two i would be grateful.

thanks. micky molton.

Liked
    151 times
    Add the Peter Vaughan second feature Smokescreen.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I remember Lost. Are you sure it was filmed in Brighton? I remember the setting being just along the road from The Albert Hall, in and opposite Kensington Gardens, where some of the action took place. Don't remember Brighton.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Also JIGSAW, starring Jack Warner

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    And GENEVIEVE....

Liked
    0 times
    name='Merton Park']I remember Lost. Are you sure it was filmed in Brighton? I remember the setting being just along the road from The Albert Hall, in and opposite Kensington Gardens, where some of the action took place. Don't remember Brighton.

Yes, there were scenes towards the close of the film where the police visit the shop with a lending library section (I wonder when they disappeared?). I guess these were filmed just beyond the East pier going towards Kemptown.

Cast a Dark Shadow has a few shots of Brighton. Also I watched the last scenes of Carry on Girls being filmed on the West Pier which has now, due to inaction on the part of the council, disappeared beneath the waves.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Baggina']:) Hi there! I am researching films that were shot on location in Brighton. I have found it fairly easy to identify a vast number of productions but i am having trouble identifying exact locations in Brighton which feature in these films.

Under Suspicion

That particular one features set-ups on the seafront but the Villa scenes are done at Portmeirion of all places.........

There are some base-of-cliff scenes, on a walkway, with caravans in the upper distance. They are on the 'undercliff walk' at Peacehaven. That section of undercliff wasn't built until after the Seventies so is a bit of a blooper for a film set in 1959......

On a similar vein, I think I recall glimpses of a derelict West Pier too...... Dickie Attenborough certainly smartened it up in time for "Oh! What a lovely war" didn't he!

I used to work in Brighton and was constantly tripping over filming crews...

My favourite was the topless shoot I encountered near Black Rock one Sunday morning.......

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Have a look at

Films made in Brighton & Hove: The sound era

Gives a chronological list of films with some stills. Though Lost isn't amongst them

regards

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    name='Freddy']Have a look at

Films made in Brighton & Hove: The sound era

Gives a chronological list of films with some stills. Though Lost isn't amongst them

regards

Freddy

That's an interesting list but I bet it's just the tip of the iceberg (or the West Pier).

I lived in Brighton for some years and often recognised shots of the place in many Brit movies with seaside scenes. Unfortunately, having a memory like a sieve isn't a good qualification for posting information on this thread

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I remember there were scenes shot in Brighton in Up The Junction.

Liked
    0 times
    trying to compile a list of films made in the brighton, hove, portslade, shoreham area, can you help?

Liked
    80 times
    name='lester m']trying to compile a list of films made in the brighton, hove, portslade, shoreham area, can you help?

It is always worth trying the IMDB location finder. Below is a link to the list they have for Brighton - it includes TV programmes too:

PowerSearch Results

Euryale.

Liked
    0 times
    thank you sir, following on from this does anyone have any memories of seeing any of these being made, specific locations would be nice

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    What era are you interested in?? In the pioneer era, Brighton and Hove was the home of the British film industry, and probably led the world. In the later silent era, Sidney Morgan had studios at Shoreham......

In the meantime, here's a still from a Brighton film you won't have seen.....

Liked
    0 times
    Killer Net 1998 was a television mini series broadcast on Channel 4 in May 1998.

Liked
    0 times
    I know the house used to film the end of the affair.Its in eastern terrace on the seafront.

I also heard a rumour that the opening block war scene in the sylvester stallone movie was filmed in and around the old shoreham power station. Im not sure if this is true.Does anyone know how to find out.?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Baggina

I seem to remember quite a few years ago now, that a BBC personality, I think, Michael Aspel/Richard Baker, remarked that Brighton was used as a location for Barbra Streisand's movie "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" (1969?)

Unfortunately, I don't have any further info/confirmation about this remark!