+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This early sixties horror film,directed by Sidney J Furie

I have been trying for several years to get a copy of this film,either vhs or preferably dvd,to no avail[I have a copy I recorded from the television in 1984].I know it's possible to get a USA version,however I can,t recall it ever being on television ever since.Without appearing paranoid could this have been banned similarly to Straw Dogs? Though I can't imagine why!Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    My recording of it was made off Channel 4 in the early hours of Sunday, November 19th, 1995 and it hasn't been shown since.

Dr Blood's Coffin, released in 1961, is an excellent, underated British horror movie that deserves a video or DVD release. Kieron Moore and Hazel Court are both very good in it and the Eastman Color location photography of Cornwall is beautiful.

Although given an X certificate at the time, the horror elements now look pretty tame by today's standards, but still pack a punch. It was never banned in any way. Just went out on general release and was forgotten about over the long years since the early 1960's.

Sorry I can't make a copy for you, but I don't have two video machines and I never loan out my tapes to anyone. But perhaps you should contact Channel 4 and ask them for a repeat...after all, it is nine years since they last ran it.

Liked
    0 times
    Corr! Hazel Court - she used to make me go all gooey, and she could equal Janet Scott in the screams department!

Born in Birmingham 1926 and now lives in America and who can blame her? She would be 78 now, so probably a bit short in 'goo' department. thumbs_u thumbs_u

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks for the replies,indeed it is very underated.It's a bit of a cult movie for me.Fancy the gorgeous Hazel Court coming from Sutton Coldfield in our 'neck of the woods'!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Two frames from the MGM - United Artists DVD of Doctor Blood's Coffin (1961), with Kieron Moore and Hazel Court,
    plus the original Front-of-House set of eight stills, with scenes in the order that they appeared in the film.

Senior Member Country: UK Paul Waines's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    If you decide to sell those F.O.H. Stills do drop me a line..

Here's the Quad poster that pulled in the audience..

Liked
    98 times
    I've had them for many years, Paul, and wouldn't part with them now. But thanks for the photo of the quad poster. I remember putting that up at the now long gone Focus in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, nearly 52 years ago, along with the Front-of-House stills in the stills case. The supporting film at the Focus was The Last Time I Saw Archie, starring Robert Mitchum, and I haven't seen that one since (although I do have the Front-of-House set for it).

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Great photos and poster folks, you've inspired me to order the dvd of the film, which I have'nt seen before. The MGM release seems to be the only widescreen version and the cheapest!

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Phil, the MGM DVD is an excellent anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer (it may even be 1.85:1, but without playing it again, I'm not sure). It's supposed to be Region 1, but I've always found that MGM and Warner Region 1 DVDs will play on Region 2 players without any trouble.

Liked
    29 times
    Shame about not selling the Stills, the hunt goes on...

I have the dvd myself, plays fine on our players, I may give it a re-run myself.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The poster and stills are still selling the film 50 years on. Well they got me anyway!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    94 times
    Interesting to note that the director is named in the stills as Sidney. J. Furie. While on the poster he is simply Sid Furie.

Liked
    98 times
    Paul, save this link to your favourites and check it daily. There are some black and white press stills on eBay at the moment, but no Front-of-House stills. However, as an eBayer for nearly 12 years, I know that whatever it is you want, sooner or later, it will turn up on there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...COFFIN&_sop=10

Liked
    29 times
    Thanks for the link, I've been buying off there since 1999, and the one Quad poster I've been after for years has never turned up yet. I do have 2 FOH Stills for Dr Bloods Coffin I acquired off the Bay, but haven't came across a full set. All part of the fun of collecting, is the hunt for those items we need...

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Waines View Post
    Thanks for the link, I've been buying off there since 1999, and the one Quad poster I've been after for years has never turned up yet. I do have 2 FOH Stills for Dr Bloods Coffin I acquired off the Bay, but haven't came across a full set. All part of the fun of collecting, is the hunt for those items we need...
    You could always try these guys. I've bought many sets of them in the past and always found them very reliable. They just may have the Doctor Blood's Coffin set, but have too many to list them all and, although it isn't listed on their site, you could always drop them an email and enquire about it.

http://www.filmcutts.com/Products.ph...rder=Title+ASC

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Cheers for posting the stills David, makes me smile now when I see what terrified me then!.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, it was an X when it was released, but I doubt it would scare the kids of today, with them being used to seeing far worse monsters on Doctor Who.

Liked
    202 times
    Would anyone know the name of the actor who played the man bought back to life please?

I've looked at the cast list on IMDB and I'm not sure what the character's name is.

Liked
    98 times
    It was Paul Stockman playing Steve Parker. I've no idea what he looked like without all that monster make-up, though.

Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    It was Paul Stockman playing Steve Parker. I've no idea what he looked like without all that monster make-up, though.

Thanks again David, there's a photo of him on the Aveleyman site here on the link, he also played Konga!

http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=85354