+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I just bought myself a great Paul Robeson CD. When the song 'Carry Me Back To Green Pastures' came on, I fell about laughing... not at the wonderful Mr Robeson, but because into my mind flashed that scene where Terry-Thomas is playing a radio host who gets totally flustered, breaks the record he's about to play, and then does an hilarious impersonation of Paul Robeson, singing that song. My brain's gone blank on what film it was from. Help from Terry-Thomas experts required, please! :)

Liked
    0 times
    The film was "Helter Skelter" (1949)and the sketch, which Terry-Thomas later repeated in his 1950S television show "How Do You Do" was called "Technical Hitch"

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Good recall Maxie !

Now then - the other thing he did ; it was clipped in his HEROES OF COMEDY segment. The sketch where he sang the song that had been written on the dogdy typewirte, "it pringtime, it pringtime ! The ird do ing in the tree...."

Was that from a film, or just a variety sketch ?

Like Pam, that and Technical Hitch ALWAYS kills me

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've a film called 'Brass Monkey' (1948) in which he plays himself appearing on a radio show.

:)

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all that everyone... and, in particular, thanks Maxie for the title of the film... great stuff! thumbs_u

I'm not sure, but I think I may well have his Heroes of Comedy on one of my umpteen videos... time to go for a rummage, I think!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Thanks Mr. Drake's !! thumbs_u

I expect somebody out in forumland has copies of these fillums somewheres.....

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Pam1927:

I just bought myself a great Paul Robeson CD. When the song 'Carry Me Back To Green Pastures' came on, I fell about laughing... not at the wonderful Mr Robeson, but because into my mind flashed that scene where Terry-Thomas is playing a radio host who gets totally flustered, breaks the record he's about to play, and then does an hilarious impersonation of Paul Robeson, singing that song. My brain's gone blank on what film it was from. Help from Terry-Thomas experts required, please! :)
    Pam; going off thread for a moment. In 'Bread'

was there more than one dole office clerk? Because I can only remember one and that one must be YOU!!

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Jim,

Sorry I didn't spot your post till now!.

There was one other person who was in the dole office, in the second episode of the first series (made in 1986 eek! ); I'd been in the first episode, and I did all the other dole-office scenes. As far as I know, they hadn't planned to have a regular character in the dole office, but Carla Lane liked the character I'd come up with and included it as a semi-regular in the rest of the run of the show... rather nice, and very flattering, for yours truly! So, unless you only ever saw that one episode that I wasn't in, yes, it was me! (The other lady didn't have the daft hairdo!)

Liked
    0 times
    Pam1927:

Hi Jim,

Sorry I didn't spot your post till now!.

There was one other person who was in the dole office, in the second episode of the first series (made in 1986 eek! ); I'd been in the first episode, and I did all the other dole-office scenes. As far as I know, they hadn't planned to have a regular character in the dole office, but Carla Lane liked the character I'd come up with and included it as a semi-regular in the rest of the run of the show... rather nice, and very flattering, for yours truly! So, unless you only ever saw that one episode that I wasn't in, yes, it was me! (The other lady didn't have the daft hairdo!)
    Hello Pam - yes it was you. i've just seen your piccie. What cracking 'banter' between you and Joey - brilliant!

Don't bother about late replies Pam - I don't see a good many of mine until weeks after!!

:)