+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just seen the British picture ENDURING LOVE in which a hot-air balloon escapes. Several people try to hang on to the ropes and hold it down and one by one they let go. All except one man who hangs on and is taken high up, until he, too falls and is smashed to death.

I have seen documentary footage in black and white of an airship - possibly in America - where a large airship (not a balloon) breaks free of its moorings and several people are borne aloft. Most fall off and maybe survive, but one small figure is seen being carried up to a great height and then drops off. What event was this, and where did I see the documentary footage. I feel sure I have it somewhere in a film on aviation. Help, please. Thanks, Aphra

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The very real Hindenburg disaster when the German airship caught fire landing in New York on May 6 1937. Watch the footage at:

http://www.vidicom-tv.com/tohiburg.htm

The same footage was used in the 70s feature film The Hindenburg.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm totally wrong, of course. The Hindenburg just crashed. I do recall the footage you describe but can't place it. Apologies.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    aphra:

I have just seen the British picture ENDURING LOVE in which a hot-air balloon escapes. Several people try to hang on to the ropes and hold it down and one by one they let go. All except one man who hangs on and is taken high up, until he, too falls and is smashed to death.

I have seen documentary footage in black and white of an airship - possibly in America - where a large airship (not a balloon) breaks free of its moorings and several people are borne aloft. Most fall off and maybe survive, but one small figure is seen being carried up to a great height and then drops off. What event was this, and where did I see the documentary footage. I feel sure I have it somewhere in a film on aviation. Help, please. Thanks, Aphra
    Was it an airship? Or just a barrage balloon? A similar shape but quite a bit smaller.

Steve

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    SteveCrook:

Was it an airship? Or just a barrage balloon? A similar shape but quite a bit smaller.

Steve
    Doing a quick Google, there's a reference at http://www.footagefarm.com/aviation.html where they have "Archival Film Footage of Early Aviation (Pre 1930)" to "Navy Blimp; men carried to death & fall from ropes."

It could well have happened more than once.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I recall this clip. I think it has something to do with the U.S. Navy. Helium filled so it was old secret test film. The dirigible gets caught in a gust of wind and the sailors trying to control it are carried away. Terrifying.

Aphra I have tried to send a message but your box is full. Thanks for the Alfie tape it was great.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    It turned up on an old documentary series about disasters in the 70s called HAVOC narrated by Glenn Ford. Maybe this is where you saw it?