+ Reply to Thread
    Rennie
    I have just read that David Lean had considered directing a film adaptation of this terrific cult fifties sci-fi radio series. Has anyone any information as to whether or not there was any truth in this, and if he did, just what happened to his idea? (other than the obvious fact the film wasn't made!).

If he had made the film, I think that most of the radio cast would have probably been out on their ears, as couldn't have imagined the likes of David Kossof or Alfie Bass being too plausible actually being seen as astronauts. I understand that Derek Guyler was also in the cast. Come to think of it How did they get away with it even on the radio. Anyway, what the Hell, as a young kid, they sure held me spell bound for a few weeks in the early fifties.

Wasn't the show around 7.30pm on Sundays?

PS: If you haven't heard of the series, get it out of your public library on cassette. I understand that most of recordings available are heavily abridged, and the BBC talking 'books' are 1957 re-recordings made for the World Service. I also believe there is talk of an unabridged CD version. Information too, on any of this would be appreciated.

PPS: Webmaster: How about a Radio Topic on the Forum?

Liked
    0 times
    The one that I best remember from my childhood was the third series, Journey into Spaceā€¦The World In Peril, which ran for twenty half hour episodes on the Light Programme every Monday evening at 7:30pm between September 26th, 1955 and February 13th, 1956.

I was eight, going on nine at the time and I thought it was marvellous and listened avidly to every episode, even though I was very ill with rheumatic fever during most of its run. The song The Good Green Hills Of Earth, sung by the George Mitchell choir at the end of the last episode, became a highlight of my childhood.

Seven years ago, I bought The World in Peril as a BBC box set of four audio cassettes and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

Rennie
    David: I have just borrowed from my library the 1957 re-recording of the first series, now titled 'Operation Luna'. Apparently the original recording of the first series was never retained because the producers had no idea how popular it would be. This seems a little ambiguous, as the original series was immediately extended from 8 weeks to 18 weeks because of it's popularity! Makes you think just how quick the BBC dumps material. You would have thought they would have least held onto it for a couple of weeks!

For some nostalgic memories, try

www.journeyintospace.co.uk

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, a very interesting site, Rennie. Thank heaven the BBC saved the third series, at least.

It's funny how in those days, while listening to the programme, we stared avidly at the lit up dial on the wireless set, almost as if it were a television screen...except that in this case, our imaginations provided the pictures.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by DAVID RAYNER@Mar 12 2005, 07:05 PM

Yes, a very interesting site, Rennie. Thank heaven the BBC saved the third series, at least.

It's funny how in those days, while listening to the programme, we stared avidly at the lit up dial on the wireless set, almost as if it were a television screen...except that in this case, our imaginations provided the pictures.

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

And wonderful pictures they were too (even when they were a bit frightening). I was brought up on the comedy shows & radio series on the old Light & Home services of the BBC.

Was it one of the Journey into Space series where they discovered some anti-gravity stones? Or was that a different series.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I couldn't say off the top of my head, Steve. But it may have been somewhere in one of the three Journey into Space serials.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Fans of the series might like to know that its writer/producer Charles Chilton now works part-time as a guide for tourists to London at this company :

London Walks

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I don't remember Journey Into Space,but my eldest brother recalls it and he once told me of an episode where the crew had to leap from one spaceship to another:Opens the door,all hold their breath and then leaps to another spaceship [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] .

Ta Ta

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Mar 13 2005, 02:32 PM

I don't remember Journey Into Space,but my eldest brother recalls it and he once told me of an episode where the crew had to leap from one spaceship to another:Opens the door,all hold their breath and then leaps to another spaceship [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] .

Ta Ta

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

They were more innocent times :)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I just wonder if any of today's children would have the interest or indeed the patience, to sit in front of a radio every week listening to a serial as we did fifty years ago.

Rennie
    Originally posted by SteveCrook@Mar 13 2005, 03:50 PM

They were more innocent times :)

Steve

They certainly were. Just been listening to the first series and note Lemmy is having problems with the valves in his radio set! Luckily they were able to find a screwdriver.

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by DAVID RAYNER@Mar 13 2005, 05:58 PM

I just wonder if any of today's children would have the interest or indeed the patience, to sit in front of a radio every week listening to a serial as we did fifty years ago.

What choice did we have? Our family didn't get a TV until I left to go to college.

We was poor, but we was happy - and quite a clever family because we listened to all those radio serials [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img]

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Right on chaps - JIS had me and my earhole glued to the 'wireless'. The imagination is better than any CG imaging! I remember one episode where Jet Morgan was communicating with a 'life form' and the alien was describing his own features as 'Mandrill' like (a sort of ape) - that freaked me as a kid!

I retire in 2 months time, so I think I'll get the CDs before I move to the wonderful State Pension of 80 odd quid a week!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry.gif[/img]

Watched 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp' on Saturday - what an excellent film. Considering how the make-up department has improved over the last few years, I think the 'ageing' of Roger Livesey was top notch for those times.

The next P&P is A matter of Life and Death to be watched on Saturday afternoon - can't wait! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by JIM@Mar 14 2005, 08:47 AM

Watched 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp' on Saturday - what an excellent film. Considering how the make-up department has improved over the last few years, I think the 'ageing' of Roger Livesey was top notch for those times.

The next P&P is A matter of Life and Death to be watched on Saturday afternoon - can't wait! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

When they were making Raging Bull, Scorsese showed The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp to Rober De Niro. They asked Michael Powell how it was done and he said "Some very good make-up, the skillful use of a double, and good acting". But De Niro still believed in "The Method" and insisted on gaining all the weight himself.

Blimp also did a very good job on the make-up and costumes for Deborah Kerr & Anton Walkbrook as they appeared through the years.

Steve