+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    A long shot - But i recently purchased the movie B/w The Long Arm, one of the Scotland Yard mysteries starring Jack hawkins, on DVD

Just wondered if Jack Hawkins made any more of these movie series???

Thanks

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by The Saint 1964@Apr 24 2005, 10:26 AM

A long shot - But i recently purchased the movie B/w The Long Arm, one of the Scotland Yard mysteries starring Jack hawkins, on DVD

Just wondered if Jack Hawkins made any more of these movie series???

Thanks
    Er, Jack never made any....

'The Long Arm' was made for Ealing and has no connection with the 'Scotland Yard' series (and is a great little movie!)

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    In a similar vein he also starred as George Gideon in GIDEON OF THE YARD (aka GIDEON'S DAY) based on the John Creasey books ; also worth seeing. FORTUNE IS A WOMAN, with him as an insurance investigator is not bad either.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by smudge@Apr 24 2005, 03:06 PM

In a similar vein he also starred as George Gideon in GIDEON OF THE YARD (aka GIDEON'S DAY) based on the John Creasey books
    Strangely, GIDEON'S DAY, despite being British through and through, was directed by the GREAT American director John (THE GRAPES OF WRAITH, THE SEARCHERS) Ford.

A couple of great movies similar in style to THE LONG ARM, but not starring Mr Hawkins are SAPPHIRE and the fantastic JIGSAW, both are well worth a look.

Liked
    0 times
    He didnt make any more movies in the long arm series, i believe this was a one off. Yet a good one he did make was the league of gentlemen. You can find his list of films at www.imdb.com.

Whereabouts did you purchase the Long arm DVD from? As i have been looking on the web and i am unable to locate it?

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (smudge @ Apr 24 2005, 03:06 PM)

In a similar vein he also starred as George Gideon in GIDEON OF THE YARD (aka GIDEON'S DAY) based on the John Creasey books ; also worth seeing. FORTUNE IS A WOMAN, with him as an insurance investigator is not bad either.

SMUDGE
    Now available on DVD is the very fine Gideon's Way TV series from the early to mid sixties; this however stars John Gregson in the Jack Hawkins role. Very highly recommended though, available on the Network label.

Liked
    0 times
    (penfold @ Oct 2 2005, 07:26 AM)

Now available on DVD is the very fine Gideon's Way TV series from the early to mid sixties; this however stars John Gregson in the Jack Hawkins role. Very highly recommended though, available on the Network label.
    I'd second that. I'm three episodes into the series and it's a cracker - good solid stories and lots of familiar faces.

Liked
    0 times
    (Emperor of Lancashire @ Oct 2 2005, 10:39 AM)

I'd second that. I'm three episodes into the series and it's a cracker - good solid stories and lots of familiar faces.
    I'll third it!

It's a fantastic series, a kind of cross between the B&W Noirish 'Saint' episodes and 'The Mysteries Of Edgar Wallace'. The casts are cracking - for example the last episode I watched, 'The Thin Red Line', featured the likes of Finlay Currie, Gordon Jackson and Allan Cuthbertson.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I don't remember them and I can only just remember reading the books when I was at school,but does anyone think they are worth reprising for television now (bearing in mind Robert Lindsay will be on our tv screens soon in Jericho which is set in the fifties).

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    114 times
    (Marky B @ Oct 2 2005, 04:51 PM

I don't remember them and I can only just remember reading the books when I was at school,but does anyone think they are worth reprising for television now (bearing in mind Robert Lindsay will be on our tv screens soon in Jericho which is set in the fifties).

Ta Ta

Marky B
    I used to really enjoy the books (after I found them in 2nd hand shops) as they wove a number of plots together very well. I haven't looked into JERICHO, but I wonder how 50s it will be, and what anachronisms will slip in (particularly idiomatically?)

Is the audience too worldly-wise for a true portrayal of the 50s style, I wonder ?

I too am enjoying GIDEON'S WAY courtesy of Network DVDs - I find they are a little more deliberate and (obviously) more 'procedural' than the escapist ITC formats, but they are immensely watchable. Trouble is I seemed to remember a longer run than the 'few' episodes which come in the box...

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    I'm guessing some of the Long Arm mix-up may be related to the b&w Aussie cop series of the same name.

Liked
    7 times
    (smudge @ Oct 2 2005, 05:39 PM)

I too am enjoying GIDEON'S WAY courtesy of Network DVDs - I find they are a little more deliberate and (obviously) more 'procedural' than the escapist ITC formats, but they are immensely watchable. Trouble is I seemed to remember a longer run than the 'few' episodes which come in the box...

SMUDGE
    The box contains sixteen episodes, the initial run, first season if you like; there were ten more in a second season, which one hopes will be forthcoming in a second box if the sales are reasonable of the first...

Liked
    114 times
    (penfold @ Oct 3 2005, 11:10 PM)

The box contains sixteen episodes, the initial run, first season if you like; there were ten more in a second season, which one hopes will be forthcoming in a second box if the sales are reasonable of the first...
    Thanks Penfold

I must have completely mis-registered what I was buying. I thought it was the Complete GIDEON. No wonder I was surprised...

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    (smudge @ Oct 4 2005, 08:08 PM)

Thanks Penfold

I must have completely mis-registered what I was buying. I thought it was the Complete GIDEON. No wonder I was surprised...

SMUDGE
    Your not the only one! The box does say the Complete GIDEON and I too was under the impression that that was all they made....

Liked
    0 times
    Actually, I just checked and my set contains all 26 episodes....We are talking about the Network set???

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The movie is a classic piece of detective work, tracing the robber of safes and an eventual murder from lots of good clues. Great London scenes (as it looked back then), the end of the film was made at the Royal Festival hall.

hope that helps

Liked
    7 times
    (The_Late_Peter_Cook @ Oct 8 2005, 01:23 PM)

Actually, I just checked and my set contains all 26 episodes....We are talking about the Network set???
    My cock-up - I'd picked up the first case from the box set from the top of the telly, counted the back, and thought that was it,the whole release....there were indeed only 26 episodes, transmitted as 16 and then 10 in two series or seasons, and that is how they are split in the packaging...sorry for any confusion.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think The Long Arm DVD is someone taping a VHS copy off air and then transferring it onto DVD, rather than an official copy. Wonder what the quality is like?

Great film nevertheless, pacey, great storyline, excellent performance by Jack Hawkins as ever and good shots of fifties London.

Liked
    0 times
    (Emperor of Lancashire @ Oct 2 2005, 10:39 AM)

can anybody tell me where i can get the Gideon series from.

Liked
    114 times
    (filmlover @ Oct 30 2005, 12:54 PM)

can anybody tell me where i can get the Gideon series from.
    PLAY.com seem to have it cheapest at the moment....

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title...67445&P36=YLGN2

SMUDGE