+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I recall, being called in, by my dad in the 1970s to watch a programme (a one off, i think) with the express intention of scaring 'us kids' into not playing with things we shouldn't!!

However, i believe it was longer than an average 'public info film', and may not have been made with this in mind..

And so, the premise was, i believe, kids playing with matches, playing in powersub-stations etc etc.

Anyway, the real 'shock factor' was adults carrying the dead bodies of kids, and laying them down along the railway tracks!!! (once seen, never forgotten)

Suffice to say, it had the 'desired effect', (although my counselling sessions continue..

Any ideas?

Liked
    0 times
    That‚€™ll be the pant-fillingly scary public information film The Finishing Line, which concerns a boy fantasising about having his school sports day on a railway line, with non-hilarious results‚€¶

I remember seeing it at the age of six when it was shown on Nationwide (1977). It was very disturbing and has always stayed with me.

The scene you mention was actually someone bending down to pick up a boy who‚€™s lying on the track, having been just run over by a train. The camera angle was from very low down on the ground, so you could just see the top of his head and some straggly hair poking out from behind the track. I remember it all too well!

It‚€™s described in more detail here‚€¶

http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/pro...196/BT1196.html

It was made by this man‚€¶

http://www.bfi.org.uk/showing/nft/ar...revious/krish/

And you can find people chatting about this and other such things by putting ‚€œFinishing Line‚€Ě into the search engine here‚€¶

S

Unless I'm completely wrong, of course.

Liked
    0 times
    'someone in the water' they were still showing these films on 8mm in the late 70's early 80's at my schools. I remember a young boy getting impaled whilst playing on a building site, shocking stuff!!!

Some geezer(who looked like Sweeney Tod) from the local council came to the school to simply scare the hell out of us, and it worked!

We also had some shocking ones in the mid 80's about the new STD - Aids.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I also remember the one from the Health & Safety people when I was at Technical College about the person who got their hair caught in a lathe! Very nasty.

I later worked in a lab where we did some lathe & mill work to build development models. I had very long hair by then and I always wore a snood.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by Trough@Jul 20 2005, 06:18 PM

That‚€™ll be the pant-fillingly scary public information film The Finishing Line, which concerns a boy fantasising about having his school sports day on a railway line, with non-hilarious results‚€¶

I remember seeing it at the age of six when it was shown on Nationwide (1977). It was very disturbing and has always stayed with me.

Thanks for the info Trough, I recall the scene with the train driver getting hit by a projectile, but thought it was a different film. But im sure your probably right, and this is the one!

Surprised it's not free ly available online, as many things are these days including the 'protect & survive' film...Would kind of like to see it again - PIFs seemed so much more realistic in the seventies!!

Liked
    0 times
    (aaron @ Jul 18 2005, 06:44 PM)

I recall, being called in, by my dad in the 1970s to watch a programme (a one off, i think) with the express intention of scaring 'us kids' into not playing with things we shouldn't!!

However, i believe it was longer than an average 'public info film', and may not have been made with this in mind..

And so, the premise was, i believe, kids playing with matches, playing in powersub-stations etc etc.

Anyway, the real 'shock factor' was adults carrying the dead bodies of kids, and laying them down along the railway tracks!!! (once seen, never forgotten)

Suffice to say, it had the 'desired effect', (although my counselling sessions continue..

Any ideas?

Oh bloody hell!...another programme I thought I'd dreamt or made up from my childhood. Thanks guys.

Liked
    0 times
    (Billy Liar @ Jul 20 2005, 07:32 PM)

'someone in the water' they were still showing these films on 8mm in the late 70's early 80's at my schools. I remember a young boy getting impaled whilst playing on a building site, shocking stuff!!!

Some geezer(who looked like Sweeney Tod) from the local council came to the school to simply scare the hell out of us, and it worked!

We also had some shocking ones in the mid 80's about the new STD - Aids.
    We were shown a "don't play on farms" one. Very frightening. It featured death by silage, tractor trailer, and poison, amongst others.

At our local youth club we were shown an anti drugs film which featured an unbelievably explicit autopsy of an overdose victim. They heaved the multi-coloured innards of the poor girl (?) into various dishes. Some people were crying watching it.

Liked
    0 times
    (Emperor of Lancashire @ Oct 23 2005, 03:15 PM)

At our local youth club we were shown an anti drugs film which featured an unbelievably explicit autopsy of an overdose victim. They heaved the multi-coloured innards of the poor girl (?) into various dishes. Some people were crying watching it.
    Blimey o'reilly! Can they do that?