+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carry On Girls

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Does anyone know why it was deemed necessary by the makers of "Carry On Girls'' (1973) to overdub actress Valerie Leon's voice (played Paula Perkin) with that of co- star June Whitfield throughout the film?

Did they feel a prim and proper voice was needed for Valerie's character?

If so why didn't they just recast June Whitfield as Paula Perkin?

Or did they deem June not attractive enough to play that part?

June's a lovely lady anyway and I wouldn't have minded seeing her in a bikini.

Couldn't Valerie Leon do a voice change?

The whole thing seems very weird.There can't be many actors/actresses that have had their voices overdubbed for the duration of a film.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Originally posted by David Brent@Jul 24 2005, 10:21 AM

Does anyone know why it was deemed necessary by the makers of "Carry On Girls'' (1973) to overdub actress Valerie Leon's voice (played Paula Perkin) with that of co- star June Whitfield throughout the film?

The whole thing seems very weird.There can't be many actors/actresses that have had their voices overdubbed for the duration of a film.

Dave.
    Apart from singing voices (Marni Nixon for Debroah Kerr in The King and I,Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady),Andie McDowell's voice was overdubbed in Greystoke. I think the film makers didn't like her voice,so Glenn Close obliged with her dulcet tones. I am not sure whether Andie McDowell knew this was going to happen,or they did it behind her back. Either way she was not happy about it.

Of course,there were voice dubbings of actors for medical reasons,such as Charles Gray for Jack Hawkins,who lost his voice to throat cancer.

Ta Ta

MArky B

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by David Brent@Jul 24 2005, 10:21 AM

Dave.
    Film-makers are weird. They'll spend thousands making a set or model of a set when it only appeared on the screen for a nanno second!

They dubbed the character of Rex van Rynn in the 'Devil Rides Out', it sounded like our old friend Patrick Allen.

Liked
    0 times
    Harvey Keitel was dubbed throughout in Saturn 3 by Roy Dotrice - I'm not sure why, though it was such a notoriously troubled production that any excuse might have sufficed.

Dave Prowse was reputely somewhat miffed that James Earl Jones supplied the voice for Darth Vader, though he must have been the only one who was at all surprised.

Notoriously, Gregory's Girl was completely revoiced by different actors for the US market - not into American, as initially rumoured, but into supposedly "milder" Scottish accents. Unfortunately, this had the side-effect of completely destroying the film's justly renowned freshness and spontaneity, and the end result was barely watchable (I sampled ten minutes before switching off).

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Originally posted by JIM@Jul 25 2005, 10:36 AM

Film-makers are weird. They'll spend thousands making a set or model of a set when it only appeared on the screen for a nanno second!

They dubbed the character of Rex van Rynn in the 'Devil Rides Out', it sounded like our old friend Patrick Allen.
    T'was indeed the master of Voice-over himself, Jim ; although the reason for it escapes me...

Wasn't poor Leon Greene similarly dubbed in his very brief appearance in CARRY ON AT YOUR CONVENIENCE ? (As the chef?)

Poor man must have been getting a complex !

SMUDGE

Liked
    69 times
    Originally posted by Wetherby Pond@Jul 25 2005, 01:32 PM

Dave Prowse was reputely somewhat miffed that James Earl Jones supplied the voice for Darth Vader, though he must have been the only one who was at all surprised.

Can you imagine the most evil being in the Universe having a south west country accent? James Earl Jones is Sexy Beast!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by smudge@Jul 25 2005, 05:33 PM

T'was indeed the master of Voice-over himself, Jim ; although the reason for it escapes me...

Wasn't poor Leon Greene similarly dubbed in his very brief appearance in CARRY ON AT YOUR CONVENIENCE ? (As the chef?)

Poor man must have been getting a complex !

SMUDGE
    Yes Smudger, I though it was PA. Perhaps he just doesn't have the right voice - poor bugger!

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Jul 25 2005, 07:03 PM

Can you imagine the most evil being in the Universe having a south west country accent? James Earl Jones is Sexy Beast!

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Oh how I wish Lucas had used Dave Prowse voice for Vader. I think I would have enjoyed Star Wars a lot more.

Did Prowse say anything in Clockwork Orange? I can't remember. I'll have a look tonight. I remember him in an Episode of "The Champions" too, in one of the voiced over intros. This took place in, surprise, surprise….. a gym. Needles to say Dave had zero lines and to put icing on the cake of his humiliation he was shown up in the muscle department by Craig Stirling and Richard Barrett ,"Two of The Champions"

I bet the Green Cross gig was like Christmas and his birthday in one....or was he dubbed here too.

Cheers,

A

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Whats going on here, MarkyB et al

We yer in the west country speak proper english ooooh arrrrrrr we do

Dave Prowse,like me has wonderful dulcet tones of a noble Bristolian accent ,were not all farmers and we dont look like the Wurzels.

Just think how much more scary Darth Vader would have been without being dubbed,just think how Larry Olivier surely would have had a more successful career with a strong west country accent.................then again, perhaps not

Liked
    0 times
    Poor Dave ! saw him in Callan(film) last night,as Arthur, i think he had one line and that seemed dubbed.

cheers Ollie.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by A Pemberton@Jul 26 2005, 07:45 PM

Just think how much more scary Darth Vader would have been without being dubbed
    Apparently when 2001: A Space Odyssey was being filmed, first assistant director Derek Cracknell provided the voice for HAL on the understanding that he'd be replaced by a proper actor (Douglas Rain) in post-production.

Which was probably just as well: by all accounts Cracknell was proudly Cockney, and his rendition of "What d'yer fink yer doin', Dave?" might not have had quite the same impact.

Liked
    0 times
    Aldolfo Celi always had Robert Reitty dubb him in English-speaking films because his English was so heavily accented. Obviously Robert was busy when BBC filmed The Borgias asnoone could understand him.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    And didn't they dub Henry Cooper in Royal Flash, though I don't know whose voice they used.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    I was surprised to hear Andre Morrell's fine voice replaced by George Pastell in the Hammer version of "She", although Morrell was playing an arab!

Peter O'Toole was dubbed in "The Savage Innocents", and in the US version (?) of "Guns of Navarone", the laserdisc release, Richard Harris was revoiced. His own voice made it back for the restored theatrical version and subsequent dvd releases.

Liked
    0 times
    ITC tried dubbing Bob Hoskins character (Harold Shand) in The Long Good Friday with a Brummy accent for some reason. Bob slapped an injunction on them and eventually a settlement was reached in which the dubbed version was destroyed.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Aenima@Aug 1 2005, 04:01 PM

ITC tried dubbing Bob Hoskins character (Harold Shand) in The Long Good Friday with a Brummy accent for some reason. Bob slapped an injunction on them and eventually a settlement was reached in which the dubbed version was destroyed.
    I have just tried imagining TLGF with Bob being overdubbed by Noddy Holder...it brings a smile to my lips

There could be a market in these types of films...I wonder if the dodgy DVD sellers realise this??

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    In the film thriller 'The Statement' (2003) Micheal Caine plays the lead part of Pierre Brossard.

In the early part of the film George Williams plays the part of the young Brossard.

What is disconcerting though is that Williams' voice is overdubbed in the film by that of the older Micheal Caine.

It's a little comical to see another actor on screen, playing a young Frenchman, mouthing Caine's unmistakeable English accent. For me it ruined what was a serious scene.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Aenima@Jul 26 2005, 01:42 PM

Oh how I wish Lucas had used Dave Prowse voice for Vader. I think I would have enjoyed Star Wars a lot more.
    It's a pitty Russell Crowe wasn't about when they were looking for a voice for Darth Vader, I can just hear him doing his monlogue from "Gladiator" but only in the guise of Vader.