+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Hancocks Last Stand by Edward Joffe ,it cronicles the australian series Hancock began before his death ,In a retrospect of his work at home (I am halfway through the book)Galton and Simpson are quoted that he never penned anything to the scripts in all there work together, yet he is credited with penning The Rebel with Galton and Simpson

the book is vague to Hancocks writing talents ,did he contribute any scripts/material?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by A Pemberton@Aug 14 2005, 06:19 PM

Hancocks Last Stand by Edward Joffe ,it cronicles the australian series Hancock began before his death ,In a retrospect of his work at home (I am halfway through the book)Galton and Simpson are quoted that he never penned anything to the scripts in all there work together, yet he is credited with penning The Rebel with Galton and Simpson

the book is vague to Hancocks writing talents ,did he contribute any scripts/material?

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

He did contribute to The Punch & Judy Man and is listed as co-writer with Philip Oakes, but the film is a little lukewarm to say the least. There are signs of the Galton & Simpson Hancock character in the Wally Pinner character played by Tony Hancock, but it appears too well worn and not particularly funny and it's all very self indulgent. From the Galton and Simpson stuff I've read I don't think Hancock contributed anything to his radio or TV scripts, aside from changing the occassional line to make it read better.

I think Tony Hancock was more a comedy actor than anything else, and I never associated him with being an out and out comedian . From what I have read his live "stand-up" performances were dreadful. He used to do a very brief visual impression of George Arliss who'd be dead for years by the time Hancock did his Talk of the Town one man show and the majority of the audience would have been hard pushed to remember him. His other "greats" included vocal and facial impressions of Robert Newton doing Long John Silver and Charles Laughton as Captain Bligh.

Hancock needed a good script to bring out the best in him, and sadly when he discarded Galton and Simpson it was at a time when he'd begun believing his own publicity and started taking himself too seriously, reading up on comparitive religions and all that inner self stuff. Galton and Simpson created the famous Hancock character, and without them I think he was left floundering!

Ray Allen, the Lord Charles ventriloquist and writer, wrote for Hancock's ITV shows, but by this stage Hancock the man wanted to get away from his Galton and Simpson character, and consequently it didn't seem anything like as good as the BBC stuff. He sometimes reverted to the old Hancock character style for a line or two, and its familiarity pleased the audience. I saw an episode last year at the THAS dinner in Bournemouth, and Ray Allen was one of the guest speakers and he explained the difficulties he had in writing for the show and dealing with Hancock as a person.

I am a big fan of Hancock the Galton and Simpson character, and perhaps if they hadn't named the character after the real person it may not have gone to his head so much! After reading his biography a few years ago, co-written by his second wife, I don't think Hancock the person was particularly funny at all in later years, and I assume alcohol was the main cause!