+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Some years ago ITV screened this film, when it opened I was surprised to see it was a colourized version, which I've seen only once. Has any other board member seen this version of the film?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by Peter Stenning@Aug 19 2005, 03:06 PM

Some years ago ITV screened this film, when it opened I was surprised to see it was a colourized version, which I've seen only once. Has any other board member seen this version of the film?

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

Colorizing always strikes me as a strange idea. The difference between a B&W film and a colour film isn't just the colour (or lack of). With B&W photography (or cinematography) you look for different things and they often aren't as striking when false colours are added.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Steve Crook@Aug 19 2005, 07:04 PM

Colorizing always strikes me as a strange idea. The difference between a B&W film and a colour film isn't just the colour (or lack of). With B&W photography (or cinematography) you look for different things and they often aren't as striking when false colours are added.

Steve

Absolutely. Could you imagine 'The Third Man' in colour????

Member Country: England bobs1900's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img]

Yes I have seen the colourised version of the Longest day and I also have a VHS copy of it. The film is much better in Black and White than a computerised colour version.

I shall copy on to DVD shortly.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/pyth.gif[/img]

Liked
    69 times
    I watched The Longest Dayyesterday with my dad.

I think it was the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings that my dad went to Normandy (he was not a veteran of that particular conflict,but was in the Merchant Navy at the time) and he met a man on the trip who not only was at my dad's 21st birthday party (in 1941),but was part of the Pegasus landings. At the site itself,he remembered clearly where his Horsa glider landed and also the leadership of John Howard,keeping the foothold until the arrival of Lord Lovatt.

My dad's friend was called Tom Marshall - he spent the last few years of his life in Sheringham,Norfolk after spending most of his life in Hartlepool - and it was while watching the film yesterday,my dad mentioned Tom's particpancy in the event,then Richard Todd gave out a command to someone called Tom.

Now I am prepared to acknowledge there were a few lads there called Tom,but for a moment dad and I shared a similiar thought that the man Richard Todd was referring to was my dad's mate,Tom

Ta Ta

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by Marky B@Aug 22 2005, 11:59 PM

I watched The Longest Dayyesterday with my dad.

I think it was the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings that my dad went to Normandy (he was not a veteran of that particular conflict,but was in the Merchant Navy at the time) and he met a man on the trip who not only was at my dad's 21st birthday party (in 1941),but was part of the Pegasus landings. At the site itself,he remembered clearly where his Horsa glider landed and also the leadership of John Howard,keeping the foothold until the arrival of Lord Lovatt.

My dad's friend was called Tom Marshall - he spent the last few years of his life in Sheringham,Norfolk after spending most of his life in Hartlepool - and it was while watching the film yesterday,my dad mentioned Tom's particpancy in the event,then Richard Todd gave out a command to someone called Tom.

Now I am prepared to acknowledge there were a few lads there called Tom,but for a moment dad and I shared a similiar thought that the man Richard Todd was referring to was my dad's mate,Tom

Ta Ta

And don't forget that Richard Todd really was at Pegasus Bridge on June 6th 1944.

He was an officer in the 7th Battalion (LI) The Parachute Regiment. On D-Day this Battalion made contact with Major Howard at the Orne Bridge now called Pegasus Bridge. Todd was the officer who made contact. In the The Longest Day (1962) he played Major Howard and the meeting with Todd was one scene. In D-Day the Sixth of June (1956) he played the commander of his Battalion in the filming of the same scene.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    If you ever get the chance, the area around Pegasus Bridge, and especially the museum (which contains the original bridge, complete with bullet holes) is really well worth going to.

The current Bridge is a (full size!) replica. The cafe by the bridge is still there.

rgds

Rob

Liked
    69 times
    Originally posted by Rob Compton@Aug 23 2005, 11:49 AM

If you ever get the chance, the area around Pegasus Bridge, and especially the museum (which contains the original bridge, complete with bullet holes) is really well worth going to.

The current Bridge is a (full size!) replica. The cafe by the bridge is still there.

rgds

Rob

My dad still recalls Tom exacting the site of his glider landing with utmost clarity. Brave lads. We should never forget.

Ta Ta

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    My DVD version is colorized. Didn't know it ever came any other way.

~~Ruth

Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by jazzylady@Aug 27 2005, 01:13 AM

My DVD version is colorized. Didn't know it ever came any other way.

~~Ruth

You can always check that sort of information on the IMDb but it's unlikely they'd advertise a movie as colorized - or would they?

Are they blatent enough to say "We took this really great film that was designed to be filmed in B&W and we thought we'd add false colours to it because we believe that a lot of people out there aren't excited enough by B&W films"

Steve