+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Futtock's End

Liked
    0 times
    With the recent death of Ronnie Barker, how can we lobby (presumably the BBC) to have this classic shown/re-shown? And while we're at it, The Strange World of Gurney Slade - now there's a classic bit of surrealism! Does it still exist?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (steffypik @ Oct 10 2005, 02:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

With the recent death of Ronnie Barker, how can we lobby (presumably the BBC) to have this classic shown/re-shown? And while we're at it, The Strange World of Gurney Slade - now there's a classic bit of surrealism! Does it still exist?

[/b]

IIRC A GURNEY SLADE was repeated in the early 90s (?) as part of CH4's TV HEAVEN strand.

As for FUTTOCKS, I have a copy if you want one. PM or E Mail me...

Cheers,

SMUDGE

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/devil.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember it was repeated in 2001. The first time I watched it was when I was 5 and so the humour was a bit purile and reminiscent of a lengthened Benny Hill sketch. A typical scene would be the bit where a busty maid is holding 2 jellies resembling boobies on plate accompanied by 'wobbly' sound effects - I think Ronnie Barker's monocle falls into his wine or something. Michael Horden's scenes as the perverted butler were a bit uncomfortable as well.

A good period piece though and I hope they repeat it. I gather that the house is actually a hotel North of London...

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    (jacobean @ Oct 10 2005, 03:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I remember it was repeated in 2001. The first time I watched it was when I was 5 and so the humour was a bit purile and reminiscent of a lengthened Benny Hill sketch. A typical scene would be the bit where a busty maid is holding 2 jellies resembling boobies on plate accompanied by 'wobbly' sound effects - I think Ronnie Barker's monocle falls into his wine or something. Michael Horden's scenes as the perverted butler were a bit uncomfortable as well.

A good period piece though and I hope they repeat it. I gather that the house is actually a hotel North of London...

[/b]

I have a feeling it's Grimsdyke, or some such - and also featured in TWISTED NERVE. If so, I THINK it belonged to either Gilbert or Sullivan (of the Savoy Operas fame) and whichever it was died there. In the pool ??? (Old age and/or bad memory will be the death of me !) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

EDIT ADDITION http://www.grimsdyke.com/

It is indeed Grimsdyke, and he did die there (Gilbert)

SMUDGE

romany
    (smudge @ Oct 10 2005, 03:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

IIRC A GURNEY SLADE was repeated in the early 90s (?) as part of CH4's TV HEAVEN strand.

As for FUTTOCKS, I have a copy if you want one. PM or E Mail me...

Cheers,

SMUDGE

[/b]