+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello , does anybody have any information on the 1934 British film -MUSIC HATH CHARMS-which starred the bandleader Henry Hall ? I saw it on tv many years ago and loved it . Is it available on DVD ? One of the singers with the band was Dan Donovan who came from my hometown of Cardiff .I'd love to know more about this film -anything. many thanks. JJ.

Liked
    0 times
    (JohnnyJape @ Nov 22 2005, 12:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Hello , does anybody have any information on the 1934 British film -MUSIC HATH CHARMS-which starred the bandleader Henry Hall ? I saw it on tv many years ago and loved it . Is it available on DVD ? One of the singers with the band was Dan Donovan who came from my hometown of Cardiff .I'd love to know more about this film -anything. many thanks. JJ.

[/b]
    The music for this film was arranged by Benjamin Frankel, a marvellous composer whose film scores added great atmosphere to many productions. He was also a talented Jazz musician having played violin in various jazz combos.

I doubt that this film has ever been available commercially, but I have a copy of a TV broadcast if you want to contact me.

Liked
    0 times
    (JohnnyJape @ Nov 22 2005, 12:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

There is a US copy available on vhs/ntsc from:

http://www.nostalgiafamilyvideo.com

@ $23.99 including p&p (about £14)

Liked
    0 times
    (Jeff @ Nov 22 2005, 11:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

The music for this film was arranged by Benjamin Frankel, a marvellous composer whose film scores added great atmosphere to many productions. He was also a talented Jazz musician having played violin in various jazz combos.

I doubt that this film has ever been available commercially, but I have a copy of a TV broadcast if you want to contact me.

[/b]

Many thanks Jeff . However I have located someone who can probably get it on DVD for me .

I love those old bands . I have several on video including a clip of Al Bowly with Monia Liter which I taped from a programe called TURNS ,presented by Jimmy Perry,some years ago .Thanks again .

Liked
    0 times
    (JohnnyJape @ Nov 23 2005, 09:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Many thanks Jeff . However I have located someone who can probably get it on DVD for me .

I love those old bands . I have several on video including a clip of Al Bowly with Monia Liter which I taped from a programe called TURNS ,presented by Jimmy Perry,some years ago .Thanks again .

[/b]

I'd like to know something about Monia Liter. I have often wondered whether this pianist was male or female as the first name is otherwise unknown to me. I have several pieces of sheet music by Liter - classically formed but with a jazzy feel. a bit like the works of Billy Mayerl or Raie da Costa.