+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi there.

I've been watching Wolf Rilla's The Black Rider in preparation for a review of the movie for my website. In order to add some depth to the piece I was wondering if any of the members of the forum could provide some background info for me?

Firstly I know that the interiors for the film were shot at Nettleford Studios but there is a farily substantial amount of location work in a coastal community. I assume that this must be on the English South coast somewhere. Any suggestions for a more accurate location?

Also I had a reference somewhere to a motocycle club being associated with the film which I have now lost. Again any suggestions for this?

Finally I'd like some background info on producer/writer A R Rawlinson. There's a meagre bio at the wikipedia site and I've downloaded his filmog from the IMDB. Black Rider seems to be one of three films Rawlinson made under the Balblair banner for distribution by Butcher's (a name very familiar to members here I'm sure). The other titles are Stock Car and Cloak Without Dagger. He sometimes worked with Tod Slaughter. Any additonal info would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Iain
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 19-01-13 at 11:10 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Iain

Its a film I have enjoyed watching in the past, though I haven't seen it for a few years. As for location, for some reason the Dorset coast is popping into my mind, possibly around Corfe Castle, though I think the old abbey (where Kenneth Connor memorably sees The Black Monk [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] ) is a studio set. I do have a copy of the film, but frustratingly can't get at it at present due to house reorganisation/building work - now I'd like to see it again!

I would also be interested in some more details about the film, including the locations. esp of Jimmy Hanley's house - somewhere around the studio I imagine, Walton-on-Thames.

By the way, just being pedantic, but the studio is called Nettlefold, not Nettleford - might help you in your search!

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll have to dig this out and have another look, not watched it for some years.

Liked
    0 times
    Here is A. R. Rawlinson entry in the British Film & Television Yearbook 1963 -64 (a trade annual):-

Producer and screenwriter. Born London, 9 August. He was educated at Rugby and Cambridge. Has been well known as a playwright since 1929 and has been writing for films since 1930. in 1949 he became an associate producer for Nettlefolds on all their films and also produced There Was A Young Lady. in 1953 he formed Balblair Productions Ltd. and has writen and produced The Black Rider, Stock Car, Cloak Without Dagger. 1956:- produing independently, and scriptwritting for Douglas Fairbanks, Intel Films, Associated Rediffusion, BBC TV, ABC TV TV, etc.

Living in Ferring, Surrey. (1964)

Liked
    0 times
    (Stu @ Nov 27 2005, 03:46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Here is A. R. Rawlinson entry in the British Film & Television Yearbook 1963 -64 (a trade annual):-

Producer and screenwriter. Born London, 9 August. He was educated at Rugby and Cambridge. Has been well known as a playwright since 1929 and has been writing for films since 1930. in 1949 he became an associate producer for Nettlefolds on all their films and also produced There Was A Young Lady. in 1953 he formed Balblair Productions Ltd. and has writen and produced The Black Rider, Stock Car, Cloak Without Dagger. 1956:- produing independently, and scriptwritting for Douglas Fairbanks, Intel Films, Associated Rediffusion, BBC TV, ABC TV TV, etc.

Living in Ferring, Surrey. (1964)

[/b]

Hi there.

Many many thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I shall try and complete the review over the next couple of days after I write it long hand and then type it up. If the site owner's amenable it should be ready for viewing shortly on the Britmovie website.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Iain

Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this film again. The castle is Corfe Castle, and I am guessing that the film was filmed around Swanage.

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    It`s on again on BBC2 on Jan 26 at 6am followed by The Mouse That Roared at 7.05 am.

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    It`s on again on BBC2 on Jan 26 at 6am followed by The Mouse That Roared at 7.05 am.
    Barney, thanks for pointing this out: because of your post I set the recorder and really enjoyed this little film. Like a grown-up Enid Blyton really.

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Glad you enjoyed it jonpsych I enjoyed it too.