+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 50s Britmovie

Liked
    0 times
    As a kid I remember seeing a British film called either "She knows her Onions" or "She knew her onions". I remember my mother commenting something to the effect that it was tripe, but practically nothing else about it. I tried a keyword search on "onions" in imdb without success. Does anybody else remember this oddly-titled film? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/helpsmilie.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    British films of the fifties included SHE DIDN'T SAY NO (1958) with Eileen Herlie as an Irish widow with six children by five different fathers, but I can't find anything about onions.

Liked
    0 times
    Was Wilfred Pickles in it? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times
    Are you sure that was the title it was released under? More than one movie has an alternate title although the IMDb is usually pretty good about giving that alternate title.

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Just a guess, but the title sounds like it should be from a Public Information Film?

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Could it be 'She Knows Y'Know' (1961) starring Hylda Baker and Cyril Smith?

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Well if you're talking Hylda Baker - didn't she star in a TV series where she was boss of a pickle factory? With Jimmy Jewel?

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Just checked the British Film Catalogue and there is a film called "She Dreamt of Onions" But this was obviously a silent film released in 1911!!!!!! It's sounds exciting stuff. The synopsis is

Couple searching for treasure break into a neighbours cupboard! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rotfl.gif[/img]

Liked
    1 times
    (Rob Compton @ Jan 28 2006, 10:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Well if you're talking Hylda Baker - didn't she star in a TV series where she was boss of a pickle factory? With Jimmy Jewel?

rgds

Rob

[/b]

You're right again Rob. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img]

The television series was called 'Nearest and Dearest' and also starred Jimmy Jewel.

Set in the factory of "Pledge's Purer Pickles" in Lancashire.

There was also a film spin-off from the series made in 1972.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    (Hugo @ Jan 27 2006, 05:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

British films of the fifties included SHE DIDN'T SAY NO (1958) with Eileen Herlie as an Irish widow with six children by five different fathers, but I can't find anything about onions.

[/b]
    Thanks for that Hugo. I begin to wonder if my memory has played tricks on me and that that this might have been a TV play or even a radio broadcast that I'm confusing with another film. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] She Didn't say No sounds like a very spicey film considering it dates from the 50s.

Liked
    0 times
    (dorisjosser @ Jan 28 2006, 11:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Just checked the British Film Catalogue and there is a film called "She Dreamt of Onions" But this was obviously a silent film released in 1911!!!!!! It's sounds exciting stuff. The synopsis is

Couple searching for treasure break into a neighbours cupboard! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rotfl.gif[/img]

[/b]

Who's in it Susan Hayward ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Liked
    0 times
    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img]
    (arty-dave @ Jan 30 2006, 01:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Who's in it Susan Hayward ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

[/b]
    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] She may well have been. I bet it was produced by Br(y)anston Films. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rotfl.gif[/img]

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    (dorisjosser @ Jan 28 2006, 11:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

A remake is surely on the cards!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/pyth.gif[/img]

Ta Ta

Marky B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Liked
    1 times
    (Jeff @ Jan 27 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

As a kid I remember seeing a British film called either "She knows her Onions" or "She knew her onions". I remember my mother commenting something to the effect that it was tripe, but practically nothing else about it. I tried a keyword search on "onions" in imdb without success. Does anybody else remember this oddly-titled film? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/helpsmilie.gif[/img]

[/b]

Jeff, do you know the year that you saw the film?

Reason I say that is because the Hylda Baker film "Nearest and Dearest" mentions onions and Hylda's famous catchphrase was "She knows you know."

Maybe a shot in the dark, but.......!

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Hylda was a bit....memorable! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rotfl.gif[/img]

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    (David Brent @ Jan 31 2006, 09:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Jeff, do you know the year that you saw the film?

Reason I say that is because the Hylda Baker film "Nearest and Dearest" mentions onions and Hylda's famous catchphrase was "She knows you know."

Maybe a shot in the dark, but.......!

Dave.

[/b]
    I think you might well be right there, David. I had a vague remembrance of someone like Sam Kydd or Bill Owen being in the film, and a look at IMDb shows that the latter was in a film called "Not so Dusty." Like Chinese whispers I think Hylda Baker's "She knows you know", Pledges pickle factory and "not so dusty" have all become addled together in the remnants of my brain with the result that I've had people on a wild-goose chase. My apologies; [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blushing.gif[/img] unless, of course, there was a film called...