+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Antiques Roadshow (17/04/11) BBC iPlayer

Member of public brings along an original script for GOLDFINGER (1964). She was voice coach for Gert Frobe and voice-over for several actresses in early Bond films including Shirley Eaton -
    and Ursula Andress because her "heavy Swiss accent" was not considered suitable for US market.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Antiques Roadshow (17/04/11) BBC iPlayer

Member of public brings along an original script for GOLDFINGER (1964). She was voice coach for Gert Frobe and voice-over for several actresses in early Bond films including Shirley Eaton -
    and Ursula Andress because her "heavy Swiss accent" was not considered suitable for US market.
    That was "voice artist" Nikki Van der Zyl. She's dubbed quite a few of 'em over the years.

BTW Ursula Andress's singing voice was dubbed by Diana Coupland

Steve

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    I knew about Ursula Andress being dubbed, but i didn't know Shirley Eaton was...

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Any voice coaching for Gert Frobe wouldn't have done much good as I believe he was dubbed throughout Goldfinger by Michael Collins.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Daniela Bianchi, my favourite Bond Girl, was dubbed by Barbara Jefford in From Russia with Love:

From the usually reliable Actors Compendium (no Maureen Beck pictures I notice, wearysloth!)
    Last edited by cornershop15; 19-04-11 at 09:57 AM.

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    I don't know why they didn't save money and have Diana Coupland coming out of the sea in a Bikini, maybe with Sid James cast as Bond?

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I was quite taken aback by this, especially when they discussed the film reviewer who commented that Ursula could read the phone book and still sound sexy.....

News like this is rather depressing when you think how people like to think that we are obsessed by image *nowadays*, whereas it used to be *different*. Actors who cannot speak, but merely look pretty..... ... Proof that image is all I guess.

I am struck that *dubbing* must be quite a dark art, so that nobody notices the disparity between lips and sound. There are some adverts around on TV that have evidently been redubbed - perhaps from an American actress - and the sounds of the words simply don't fit the mouth shapes.

It's always been common in the music biz I suppose too, with guitarists who can't play and singers who cannot sing.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    shirley only found out she was dubbed when she went to the premiere of Goldfinger this info is on the dvd

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    I was quite taken aback by this, especially when they discussed the film reviewer who commented that Ursula could read the phone book and still sound sexy.....

News like this is rather depressing when you think how people like to think that we are obsessed by image *nowadays*, whereas it used to be *different*. Actors who cannot speak, but merely look pretty..... ... Proof that image is all I guess.

I am struck that *dubbing* must be quite a dark art, so that nobody notices the disparity between lips and sound. There are some adverts around on TV that have evidently been redubbed - perhaps from an American actress - and the sounds of the words simply don't fit the mouth shapes.

It's always been common in the music biz I suppose too, with guitarists who can't play and singers who cannot sing.

Most of the early Bond girls were dubbed. Ursula got the Van der Zyl treatment again I think in She (1965). Mind you, in that film even André Morell was dubbed by George Pastell for some reason. Hammer seems to have had quite a reputation for dubbing.

Liked
    182 times
    And I am reminded that after many years of head scratching, the voice of John Richardson in She seems to be have been identified as that of actor David Spenser. David and Victor Pemberton might be able to confirm.
    In The Vengeance of She (which I haven't seen for many years) I believe Hammer had John's voice dubbed by David De Keyser.
    It might be John's own voice in the few lines he has in Bachelor of Hearts.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    94 times
    No doubt with Hattie Jacques as "M".
    Quote Originally Posted by paul kersey View Post
    I don't know why they didn't save money and have Diana Coupland coming out of the sea in a Bikini, maybe with Sid James cast as Bond?

Liked
    182 times
    Just to be totally anal, I'd add that Robert Rietty's familar tones invades the soundtrack of Dr. No for numerous characters too!

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Not unheard of. It was fairly common in the United States, during the 1970's, to dub over heavy British and Australian accents in horror and action films. I'm not talking major titles, but those imported for the "drive-in theater" crowd who liked their movies with plenty of action, sex and actors speakin' the same as them. I guess they didn't mind car chases that were on the "wrong" side of the road as long as the drivers were speaking "American".

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markrgv View Post
    I knew about Ursula Andress being dubbed, but i didn't know Shirley Eaton was...
    Yes, that's strange. Was she dubbed in other films, too? It was the norm to post-dub actors in Spain and Italy for a long time, often using a different actor who suited the look of the character more, but it's always surpising to hear it happened in British or American films. In the documentary accompanying the Dalek films twofer, Yvonne Antrobus comments that she was dubbed by another actress, and it was very strange watching the premiere and hearing someone else's voice.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Yes, that's strange. Was she dubbed in other films, too? It was the norm to post-dub actors in Spain and Italy for a long time, often using a different actor who suited the look of the character more, but it's always surpising to hear it happened in British or American films. In the documentary accompanying the Dalek films twofer, Yvonne Antrobus comments that she was dubbed by another actress, and it was very strange watching the premiere and hearing someone else's voice.
    When I used to go the Germany a lot in the 1960s & 80s most of the British or American films on German TV were dubbed (into German). That seems quite reasonable at first glance, but they were all dubbed by the same few actors - who didn't vary their voices much. So John Wayne & James Stewart sounded the same as Laurel & Hardy

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    When I used to go the Germany a lot in the 1960s & 80s most of the British or American films on German TV were dubbed (into German). That seems quite reasonable at first glance, but they were all dubbed by the same few actors - who didn't vary their voices much. So John Wayne & James Stewart sounded the same as Laurel & Hardy

Steve
    Exactly the same happens in Spain. The idea is to ensure that Gary Cooper always sounds like Gary Cooper, but the problem arises when he also sounds like Cary Grant, Ray Milland and Lauren Bacall. IIRC, Claudette Colbert dubbed her own voice in French some way into her career, and the audience kicked up such a fuss that the studio had to re-dub with her 'real' dubbed voice.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times

Steve
    I know what you mean back in the 1960's there was a dubbing house in New York City that did the dubbing for the American versions of most of the, then popular, Italian "sword and sandal" epics and also Japanese monster movies like Godzilla. I swear they must have used the 10-12 voice actors in all of them without much regard to matching the voice with the actor they were dubbing. In one film the same voice would be heard as Hercules and in the next as a small, skinny, Japanese scientist.

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    I believe Joanna Lumley (who played 'The English Girl') in OHMSS dubbed a few of the other girls voices in various international accents. George Lazeby's voice was dubbed of course for the Sir Hilary scenes by George Baker.

Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times

Steve
    A German lady i met whose husband was involved in dubbing films assured me that they did a film a day.starting from scratch without even a German script.you can imagine what the quality was like,but you can also understand why they would use the same reliable actors all the time.i'm afraid art came a very poor second to commerce.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Any voice coaching for Gert Frobe wouldn't have done much good as I believe he was dubbed throughout Goldfinger by Michael Collins.
    Michael Collins (Jeff Langley in BBC's The Newcomers 1965-69) never gets the credit he deserves for his brilliant performance as the voice amd spirit of Auric Goldfinger ...
    his delivery and timing of such classic lines as ...

'Choose your next witticism carefully Mr Bond … it may be your last …'
    'No Mr Bond, I expect you to die!'
    'Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean ... fired rockets at the Moon ... split the atom ... achieved miracles in every field of human endeavor ... except crime!'
    made his superb dubbing performance worthy of a screen credit.
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 23-04-11 at 03:20 AM.