+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrooge (1951)

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    In April, I shall be recording an audio commentary with Denis O'Dell (the assistant director) on his time spent on making "Scrooge". Please could you let me know of any subject relating to the film that you would like to be dealt with.

Someone previously mentioned the reflection of a crew member in one of the scenes. Could someone remind me which scene this was (I think someone put up a picture before)?

Every time I record such a commentary I will let it be known on here. Any questions you would like answered, I will put to the participants to be answered in some way during the commentary.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, James. It was the scene where Scrooge wakes up on Christmas morning after his nocturnal travels with the three spirits. He goes to look in the mirror in his bedroom and reflected in it is one of the crew who seems to be peeping from behind a curtain. This happens a couple of times as Scrooge dances around the room and again peers into the mirror.

Liked
    27 times
    thankyou David

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, there was a chat about who was the servant woman at Bob Crachit's.

Any more Alistair Sim anecdotes would be welcome.

A favorite worldwide.

Well done to them!

Gibbie

Senior Member Country: England noglea's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi James,

I don't know if it is still to late to ask questions for the 'Scrooge' audio commentary but I would be interested to know what your participants made of the fact that the film was later colourised. Personally I think this is a dreadfall practice and it would be intriguing to hear from people whose work was altered, presuambly without their permission.

Noglea

Liked
    27 times
    I spoke to the film's cinematographer C.M. Pennington-Richards shortly before he died but I did not get chance to ask him this question. The UK company DD Video were thinking of releasing this version but I have tried to put them off this idea.

The servant girl at Bob Cratchit's? I will have to look at this again. Curiously there is no credit for the actress who played daughter Martha Cratchit, or the other daughters for that matter, only the sons (who have both passed on).

Liked
    27 times
    I should add that Clive Donner is not well enough to participate and am looking for another crew member. I am considering Freda Pearson, who assisted art director Ralph Brinton, but could have difficulty contacting her if she is still alive.

Liked
    0 times
    James, let us know how the production goes.

Will this be on radio?

Gibbie

Liked
    27 times
    It shall be on the US DVD release of this film and hopefully the DD Video re-release DVD

cheers

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by JamesM@Mar 24 2005, 03:53 PM

It shall be on the US DVD release of this film and hopefully the DD Video re-release DVD

cheers
    Excellent, I do not have on DVD and will look for it!

Thanks, James!

Gibbie

PS - Support our club member! Everybody get this DVD!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any chance of Patrick Macnee or George Cole on the audio recording as it would be interesting asking them their views? As Mister Cole is perhaps the only person to know of Alistair Sim's feeling as regards to the filming and character development.

Good luck with the project, it is one film that is truly a classic.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Gibbie@Mar 25 2005, 12:45 PM

Excellent, I do not have on DVD and will look for it!

Thanks, James!

Gibbie

PS - Support our club member! Everybody get this DVD!
    Do we get Britmovie discount?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    (JamesM @ Feb 21 2005, 02:50 AM)

In April, I shall be recording an audio commentary with Clive Donner (the editor) and Denis O'Dell (the assistant director) on their time spent on making "Scrooge". Please could you let me know of any subject relating to the film that you would like to be dealt with.

Someone previously mentioned the reflection of a crew member in one of the scenes. Could someone remind me which scene this was (I think someone put up a picture before)?

Every time I record such a commentary I will let it be known on here. Any questions you would like answered, I will put to the participants to be answered in some way during the commentary.
    James; is there an update on this? The BBC/Warner R1 disc was scrapped at the eleventh hour, but I note that DD is releasing a 2-disc 'Collectors Edition' in November with, it's rumoured, a George Cole commentary.

Liked
    27 times
    (John Hodson @ Oct 14 2005, 09:10 AM)

James; is there an update on this? The BBC/Warner R1 disc was scrapped at the eleventh hour, but I note that DD is releasing a 2-disc 'Collectors Edition' in November with, it's rumoured, a George Cole commentary.
    As I wanted Denis O'Dell to be accompanied by at least one other cast or crew member, I began an extensive search for other surviving crew members. I could not find any information on make-up artist Eric Carter or hair stylist Betty Lee but, apart from Clive Donner, all other credited crew have passed away. there are six or so credited cast members who I found (George Cole, Rona Anderson, Carol Marsh, Olga Edwardes, Richard Pearson (Patrick Magee is also still alive)) but none were on screen for more than ten minutes apart from George Cole, who declined to particpate when I asked him (he was busy working at the time, which is always good news).

I went to the BFI and found additional information on crew members. It was there that I discovered Michael Johns worked on the film as an asistsnt editor and I have since contacted him and he has agreed to accompany myself and Denis O'Dell for the audio commentary. It has not been recorded yet but the people are in place and all that is needed is a date to be set. This is for the VCI release. As assistant director Denis O'Dell and assistant editor also worked together on Tom Brown's Schooldays (1951), I plan to record an audio commentry for this film in the same session (as it is another title VCI look to release) in the same session. John Forrest (who played the bully Flashman).

DD were considering releasing a colourized version of the film with a re-release of the film at one time. I do not know anything else about that release. As for nthe region 1 BBC Worldwide / Warners release, what a fiasco. Someone somewhere at BBC Worldwide was persuaded that "Scrooge" (1951) was a 'public domain' title in the US and thought they could release the film. VCI Entertainment (the US company who have nothing to do with the UK company, Video Collection International) have the exlusive rights to release this film on DVD in region 1. The BBC/Warners DVD had already been authored when I saw something of a press release for this title. I notified VCI who notified BBC Worldwide who had to withdraw the title. It took a while for the release to come off Amazon. I imagine that if I had not noticed so soon, the DVD would have gone into mass production and BBC Worldwide would have been in a bit of a mess. VCI were going to approach the BBC about using the digital restorations of the other film versions.

I hope to record the audio commentaries at the beginning of November. Michael Johns is still working as a film editor on a production being filmed in Oxford, which is quite impressive.

I have already recorded an audio commentary for "I Know Where I'm Going" with Margot Fitzsimons, Jim Pople and the one and only Steve Crook. I hope to complete this commentary soon.

Liked
    0 times

Is this from the film in question?

I just love all the Christmas Carol versions.

I can't wait for Christmas!

Liked
    27 times
    It transpires that there is to be a Georege Cole audio commentary on the DD Video release. When I approached George Cole, he must have already recorded this commentary. That would explain whyhe was not interested. At the time I could not have envisaged there being one in existance as the two companies entiltled to release the DVD were not involved. It was only because BBC Worldwide were under the false impression that it would be 'public domain' in the US that they planned to release the film on DVD. They must have recorded this audio commentary in preparation. Two short versions of the film, mastered for the BBC Worldwide release, will now accompany the DD Video release, as will the colourized version. VCI were also planning to approach BBC Worldwide for their prepared materials so I supect they shall accompany their re-release in time, hopefully with the proposed Denis O'Dell / Michael Johns audio commentary commentary.

Liked
    27 times
    I was not asked to produce the proposed audio commentary I suggested. I have since found an asistant art director from the film.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm curious if anyone has information on the Cratchit's other two daughters. I find it interesting as well that neither of the two were credited in the film, or anywhere else I have looked.

And certainly keep us posted on any news regarding your commentary. I'm very interested to hear it.

Liked
    0 times
    I should also ask if you have found any additional info on Carol Marsh or Olga Edwardes. I know that IMDB continues to show they are alive and well (and from reading this board from time to time, that you posted this same question a while back), but could have just missed it. Are they still around?

Liked
    27 times
    Yes indeed Carol Marsh and Olga Edwardes are still with us but neither were keen to be interviewed.

The commentary might still be on the cards. I never found out who the Cratchit daughters were. It does seem odd that the boys were credited and the girls not.