Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I thought it might be of interest to start a thread featuring as many of the actors as possible that appeared in my favourite 60s TV show, The Prisoner.

I'll kick things off with a Britmovie favourite, Colin Gordon, who appeared in two episodes as Number 2, in The General and A,B & C

I'll add more from time to time.

Liked
    13 times
    Here we have Sheila Allen, who appeared as Number 14 in 'A, B & C'

She had also previously appeared in Danger Man.

Liked
    13 times
    The very first Number Two and his successor in the first ever episode, 'Arrival', Guy Doleman and George Baker.

Liked
    13 times
    In episode one 'Arrival' Virginia Maskell played 'The Woman' or Number 9 who, having been romantically linked with Cobb ,an ex-colleague of Number Six's, tries to help him escape. Here we see her at the chess board with Frederick Piper, who plays the 'ex-Admiral'.

Virginia sadly died in hospital in January 1968. She was found unconscious after a suicide attempt by overdose and although she was briefly revived, she eventually succumbed. She was just short of her 32nd birthday.

Frederick also appeared in 'The Chimes of Big Ben' and also featured in both Danger Man series. An ex tea merchant, he died in 1979 the day before his 72nd birthday.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    name='Number Six' date='20 July 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1279657911' post='454420']

Frederick also appeared in 'The Chimes of Big Ben' and also featured in both Danger Man series. An ex tea merchant, he died in 1979 the day before his 72nd birthday.

Well, I hope his relatives kept the receipts for the now useless birthday gifts!

Liked
    13 times
    Village Cafe Waitress Patsy Smart seen here in 'Arrival', also appeared, as a Night Maid in the episode Dance of The Dead and had earlier appeared in both Danger Man series. She was the sister of film director, producer and writer Ralph Smart and she died of blood poisoning, aged 78 in 1996.

Village Shop-Keeper Dennis Shaw appeared in 'Arrival' and 'Checkmate' as well as the second series of Danger Man he went on to roles in Public Eye and The Avengers. He died of a heart attack in 1971, aged just 49.

Liked
    13 times
    The original picture from the first post seems to have disappeared. I'll re-post here.

name='Number Six' date='20 July 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1279655188' post='454391']

I thought it might be of interest to start a thread featuring as many of the actors as possible that appeared in my favourite 60s TV show, The Prisoner.

I'll kick things off with a Britmovie favourite, Colin Gordon, who appeared in two episodes as Number 2, in The General and A,B & C

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Number Six' date='20 July 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1279659964' post='454448']

Village Cafe Waitress Patsy Smart seen here in 'Arrival', also appeared, as a Night Maid in the episode Dance of The Dead and had earlier appeared in both Danger Man series. She was the sister of film director, producer and writer Ralph Smart and she died of blood poisoning, aged 78 in 1996.

Patsy appeared as a "ghoul", an old hag who lived off the banks of the Thames, in a DOCTOR WHO story in Victorian London called "The Talons of Weng-Chiang". Just before they filmed her only scene (on location at Wapping), she turned to the director David Maloney, and asked "Do you want them in or out?"

She was meaning her false teeth, and dutifully removed them for the scene. Mr. Maloney was entrusted with the task of holding them in tissues for the duration!

Liked
    13 times
    name='Gerald Lovell' date='20 July 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1279660444' post='454453']

Patsy appeared as a "ghoul", an old hag who lived off the banks of the Thames, in a DOCTOR WHO story in Victorian London called "The Talons of Weng-Chiang". Just before they filmed her only scene (on location at Wapping), she turned to the director David Maloney, and asked "Do you want them in or out?"

She was meaning her false teeth, and dutifully removed them for the scene. Mr. Maloney was entrusted with the task of holding them in tissues for the duration!
    Lovely annecdote Gerald!

Senior Member Country: UK Onedin's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    name='Number Six' date='20 July 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1279655188' post='454391']

Thanks for having introduced me to this in the Chat Room just now.......... it was great fun. Am intrigued now.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Number Six' date='20 July 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1279659964' post='454448'] She was the sister of film director, producer and writer Ralph Smart
    Kind of gives the lie to all that nonsense prisoner fans have written over the years about McGoohan not wanting to use the name John Drake in The Prisoner because Ralph Smart would be chasing him for Royalties........ As I remarked to somebody when I first made the connection between the Smarts'... McGoohan would have been a bit dumb to have been plagiarising like fury and then take the guy's sister on location with him...

Even the most erudite recent book with the Network dvd set seemed unaware that Patsy was the sister of Ralph. The chap (in Australia) who made the connection for me originally also said that when Danger Man was being *repeated* on TV and put out on video by Carlton, everyone at Granada/Carlton thought Ralph was dead and it was only Patsy who then ensured Ralph did get those Royalty payments.......

Back on topic..... I recall that when I saw John Castle in Robocop 3, that I thought to myself that he must have a real ugly oil-painting of himself down in his cellar.....

http://www.johncastlegallery.com/EXTRAS.html

Liked
    13 times
    name='Moor Larkin' date='21 July 2010 - 12:38 AM' timestamp='1279669106' post='454490']

Kind of gives the lie to all that nonsense prisoner fans have written over the years about McGoohan not wanting to use the name John Drake in The Prisoner because Ralph Smart would be chasing him for Royalties.......

Hi ML

The one down-side with The Prisoner as far as I'm concerned, is the huge amount of clap-trap written about it by people who are supposed 'experts'. Pat McGoohan didn't want to use any name, let alone John Drake, because he wanted the character to be refered to by a number, representing the oppression of the authorities over the individual. I'm a huge Prisoner fan (you'd never have guessed!) but I really can't be doing with all the theories, apparent hidden agendas and general b******s that surround the series. I just love it for what it is.

Liked
    13 times
    Two more of the Village 'staff' from opening episode 'Arrival'. First we see Stephanie Randall as The Maid. See had previously appeared in The Saint and Dixon of Dock Green. Secondly, Barbara-y-Ling, who appeared as the Taxi Driver outside the Village Cafe. Barbara had previously appeared in The Avengers, Koroshi and Danger Man and went on to roles in The Troubleshooters and Tenko. She died in 1997.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    My all-time favorite was the lovely Denise Buckley, who played the maid in the episode "Dance of the Dead."

Liked
    13 times
    name='James Fox' date='21 July 2010 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1279699274' post='454544']

My all-time favorite was the lovely Denise Buckley, who played the maid in the episode "Dance of the Dead."

....and here she is James!

As you said, she played The Maid in 'Dance of The Dead'. She also appeared in Man In A Suitcase, The Avengers, The Saint, Department S and Randall & Hopkirk.

Liked
    13 times
    Australian born Leo McKern played Number 2 in two different episodes, here in 'The Chimes of Big Ben' and also in 'Once Upon A Time'. He also made an appearance as a 'Former Number 2' in the final episode 'Fall Out'. He appeared in many films, notably as Clang in The Beatles' film 'Help!' and tv shows, including of course his long-running success with 'Rumpole of The Bailey'. He died, aged 82 in 2002.

Angelo Muscat played 'The Butler' in fourteen episodes, the three in which we didn't see him being 'Many Happy Returns', 'Living In Harmony' and 'The Girl Who Was Death'. The diminutive actor (he was 4' 3") was born in Malta and appeared in The Beatles' 'Magical Mystery Tour', and as an Oompa Loompa in 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory'. He died in aged 47 in 1977.

Liked
    182 times
    name='Number Six' date='21 July 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1279704025' post='454562']

Angelo Muscat played 'The Butler' in fourteen episodes, the three in which we didn't see him being 'Many Happy Returns', 'Living In Harmony' and 'The Girl Who Was Death'. The diminutive actor (he was 4' 3") was born in Malta and appeared in The Beatles' 'Magical Mystery Tour', and as an Oompa Loompa in 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory'. He died in aged 47 in 1977.

Angelo Muscat managed to squeeze his small frame into the tiny robot costume of a Chumbley from the 1965 DOCTOR WHO story "Galaxy Four". Apart from a clip and the soundtrack, this is another wiped production.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Number Six' date='21 July 2010 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1279694870' post='454524']I'm a huge Prisoner fan (you'd never have guessed!) but I really can't be doing with all the theories, apparent hidden agendas and general b******s that surround the series.
    I quite enjoy the b******s, when I'm in the mood for it, especially when I re-watch the show and realise again just how much b******s can be construed from it. The Prisoner plot and dialogue is so overlaid with possible double-meaning that I even find myself talking b******s about it sometimes..........

When the subject strays into the real world though, I get my b******s in a bit a bit of a knot, because some of the b******s becomes insulting.......... if only to my intelligence........

Back on topic: To get an actor of the calibre of Eric Portman to drag all the way to North Wales to take part emphasises the kudos that working with McGoohan must have held for such an actor, at that time. I wouldn't have thought Mr.P did it just for the fat fees.....

The feeling must have been mutual because 'Free for All' was very much McGoohan's first personal baby of the series, as he wrote that script himself. The No2, and his casting, must have been reflecting McGoohan's own vision in every way.

Liked
    13 times
    Peter Swanwick, seen here on the right, as 'The Supervisor' in 'A Change of Mind' with John Sharp as Number 2, was a regular feature of the series. He appeared in eight episodes as the man in charge of the control room. Peter began his fim career with appearance in 'The African Queen' in 1951 and went on to appear in many films, including 'The Colditz Story', 'Ill Met By Moonlight', 'The Trunk' and 'Circus of Horrors'. His television credits included 'Fabian of The Yard', both sereis of 'Danger Man', 'Man In A Suitcase' and 'Softly, Softly'. His final tv appearance came in 'The Avengers' episode 'Legacy of Death' before his untimely death, aged just 46 in 1968.

John Sharp began his fim career in the 1949 production of 'Celia: The Sinister Affair of Poor Aunt Nora' and went on to many roles including as the finger-print expert in the 1965 film 'Bunny Lake Is Missing' and an appearance in the 1973 cult classic 'The Wicker Man'. His many television credits inlcude 'Maigret', 'The Old Curiosity Shop', 'Take A Pair of Private Eyes', 'Corridor People', 'Randall & Hopkirk' and 'The Sweeney'. His last role was in 'Lovejoy' which came shortly before his death in 1992, aged 72.

Liked
    182 times
    name='Number Six' date='21 July 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1279711070' post='454597']

Peter Swanwick, seen here on the right, as 'The Supervisor' in 'A Change of Mind' with John Sharp as Number 2, was a regular feature of the series. He appeared in eight episodes as the man in charge of the control room. Peter began his fim career with appearance in 'The African Queen' in 1951 and went on to appear in many films, including 'The Colditz Story', 'Ill Met By Moonlight', 'The Trunk' and 'Circus of Horrors'. His television credits included 'Fabian of The Yard', both sereis of 'Danger Man', 'Man In A Suitcase' and 'Softly, Softly'. His final tv appearance came in 'The Avengers' episode 'Legacy of Death' before his untimely death, aged just 46 in 1968.

Wasn't Peter Swanwick's appearance in one or two episodes stock footage? I believe Peter may have been ill/died before filming on the series was finished.

I think Peter may have been ill for quite some time. In his earlier film appearances, he looks considerably different: still baldish, but much heavier and fuller in the face.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast