Thread: Taboo

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I have only recorded it - anyone seen the first episode?
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B View Post
    I have only recorded it - anyone seen the first episode?
    Ta Ta
    Marky B
    Yes, it was interesting. A dark, urban, more menacing version of Poldark? There are similarities - brooding hero returns from abroad with various scores to settle, and family conspiracies to contend with. Cue lots of shots of a lone figure on horseback galloping across the horizon. No doubt there will be lots of shots of the male lead in various states of undress as well. However, unlike the sunny vistas of Cornwall, I get the impression that in Taboo it will be perpetually raining.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    I saw it and thought great, not the usual Saturday night karaoke fare! Fantastic cast. Just confused by one plot point. How can Vancouver Island (Canada) be the gateway to China for the East India Company? I've heard of the North West Passage, but surely the company could just go east from India to get there?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    I saw it and thought great, not the usual Saturday night karaoke fare! Fantastic cast. Just confused by one plot point. How can Vancouver Island (Canada) be the gateway to China for the East India Company? I've heard of the North West Passage, but surely the company could just go east from India to get there?
    I didn't spot that one - and as there was no known North West Passage during this period it is entirely baffling!

Some info about the reference to the Vancouver Island location:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...t-nootka-sound

Senior Member Country: Great Britain LadyKat's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I watched the first episode last night and I liked it

Spoiler:
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but there's definitely something funny going on between him and his half sister. BTW I think her husband is a nasty piece of work and I wouldn't be surprised if he hits her. At which point I think her brother will waste him.

Liked
    69 times
    I like it too. The make up has done well with the depictions of people's complexions of the day.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Liked
    69 times
    Two points. Who is the actor who made the first appearance in the second episode - some sort of secretary to Jonathan Pryce,whom Pryce threatened to sack in two days.
    And whenever I see Jonathan Pryce in his grey wig/hair,I am seeing the late John Laurie.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK eyeloveTV's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Very unusual, dark and moody. Tom Hardy gives a great performance as always. Enjoying it, but not sure where it is going. Seems there is a relationship between Delaney, Nootka Sound, The East India Company, and possibly slavery? There is a secret someone is desperate to keep hidden, and desperate men do desperate things.