+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='winsfordtown']"Wycliffe" was classic ITV man management. Jimmy Yuill was struck down with meningitis and was sacked. Jack Shephard, who shared a house with him while they were filming the series, quits in disgust.

That was indeed appalling .... Yuill was great in the show and top marks to Shephard for sticking by his friend. I have been watched the Wycliffe re-runs and it's obvious from his intros that Shepard still has fond memories of the programme, which makes it even worse ... we could have had a few more series of a very classy programme.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    name='Chevyman']Wycliffe

Didn't the actors themselves "pull" the series because they were so upset at the treatment of one of the cast who fell ill during filming??

Liked
    255 times
    name='cully']Didn't the actors themselves "pull" the series because they were so upset at the treatment of one of the cast who fell ill during filming??

See above.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Aren't we forgetting the most infamous example of all.

Heil, Honey I'm Home!

Which irritated me no end as I'm a big Denica Fairman fan and she played Eva Braun in the show.

Liked
    255 times
    IIRC Hazell was pulled because Nicholas Ball wanted the third series to be shot on film. ITV said 'no' so he quit. Rather than re-cast the role ITV turned to a new idea as a replacement ... Minder, which was shot on film!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']According to Wikipedia, the second series of Survivors is in production

Oh no not more of this rubbish remake

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I loathe political correctness, but "Curry & Chips" by Johnny Speight was crudely stereotypical on every conceivable level and managed to be simultaneously racist, sexist, homophobic, divisively class-conscious and religiously provocative with liberal use of bad language and occasional threats of violence throughout it's controversial 1969 run.

No wonder it was pulled after just six episodes!

More recently there was that dreadful sitcom "Bloomin' Marvellous" starring Sarah Lancashire and Clive Mantle which was truly awful and deeply, embarrassingly unfunny; it too was shelved in double quick time after just eight episodes.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Who can forget "Shafted" hosted by Robert Kilroy Silk - oh, mostly everyone

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZ86GYoxE0"]YouTube- Share or to Shaft[/ame]

Was "The Legacy of Reginald Perrin" (featuring the original cast) pulled? I recall watching a few episodes but then it just disappeared

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='samkydd']The following were just duds I think:

The Dustbinmen - Bryan Pringle
    Certainly not a dud in my house at the time. We loved it. I thought there was more than one series in fact but maybe I just watched Repeats.....

Mind you, the only line I can remember was the shoo-in to the title theme:

Hey Mum!!! It's the Dustbin Men.............. cue tune

THE DUSTBINMEN | A TELEVISION HEAVEN REVIEW

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']Was "The Legacy of Reginald Perrin" (featuring the original cast) pulled? I recall watching a few episodes but then it just disappeared
    It limped on for one full series, 7 episodes. It wasn't recommissioned for a second series

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Of course, there's always the legendary El Dorado.

Eldorado was hellish! It never ever made any sense at all-absolute dirge!

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    The wonderful Leslie Phillips in Casanova 73 springs to mind - after many complaints from Mrs Mary Whitehouse.

IMDB: Capitalising on the notoriety of the B.B.C.-2 series 'Casanova' ( written by Dennis Potter, and starring Frank Finlay ), 'Casanova 73' cast Leslie Phillips as 'Henry Newhouse', a suave lounge lizard, not far removed from the character he played in the 'Doctor' films.

The level of humour was epitomised by the title sequence; it showed Henry at the wheel of an open-topped sports car, eyeing up various mini-skirted lovelies, in particular a sexy garage attendant who suggestively inserts her pump into his fuel tank.

Henry seemed to charm the clothes off every gorgeous chick he met, such as Cyd Hayman or Maureen Lipman, but this being a sitcom, things would not go as smoothly as planned.

In one episode, Henry went mad trying to find a tape recorder hidden in the flat where he and his latest conquest had just had sex. In another, he panicked after a frumpy friend of his wife's ( Josephine Tewson ) spotted him dining out with his newest amour. In yet another, he travelled to his son's private school to investigate a complaint brought by a sexy maths teacher. Newhouse Junior had taken pictures of said teacher skinny dipping in some woods. Henry tried to smooth things over by wining and dining the woman, but they got drunk and wound up in bed. The evidence of Henry's guilt was visible when he removed his shirt in his wife's presence - in the heat of passion, the teacher had scrawled sums all over his back.

The show was pure farce, with innuendos flying around like confetti at a wedding. Why his wife Carol ( who knew of his adultery ) didn't divorce him was a real mystery.

Galton and Simpson intended it as a humorous comment on the so-called 'permissive society', but the Mary Whitehouses of this world didn't appreciate the joke, branding it 'lewd' and 'smutty'. The B.B.C. agreed, and shifted it to a post-watershed slot, where it was quietly forgotten.

One unmade script, in which Henry took Carol to a wife swapping party, was later used in the 1977 Yorkshire T.V. series 'The Galton & Simpson Playhouse'. Richard Briers played Henry on that occasion.

The Brighton Belles (the UK answer to The Golden Girls) was pulled so quick there were episodes they didn't bother to show.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Dandy Forsdyke']The wonderful Leslie Phillips in Casanova 73 springs to mind - after many complaints from Mrs Mary Whitehouse.

I have seen some episodes of Casanova 73 .... I thought it was a really clever and funny programme. Leslie was great in it.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Anyone remember Tropic 1979.

I vaguely recall that it was affected by a TV strike of some sort & it wasn't

shown although it had quite a build up. I think it was supposed to be quite

steamy & the lovely actresses Hilary Tindall & Bobbie Brown were in the cast.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='wadsy']Anyone remember Tropic 1979.

I vaguely recall that it was affected by a TV strike of some sort & it wasn't

shown although it had quite a build up. I think it was supposed to be quite

steamy & the lovely actresses Hilary Tindall & Bobbie Brown were in the cast.

If IIRC this was based on Tropic of Ruislip by Leslie Thomas. I bought the book as schoolboy hearing it was steamy to be sadly disappointed ( already corrupted by far steamy books by the age of 16).

Liked
    255 times
    I remember Tropic ... wasn't Ronald Pickup in it?

Anyone remember Bognor? I used to enjoy that but it disappeared too.

Senior Member Country: England ChuckEddie's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I'd like to add 'Chalk' - 1997 (Steven Moffat) with David Bamber.

It wasn't well received at the time but I thought it was very funny.

Another short lived series was 'Comrade Dad' with George Cole.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='ChuckEddie']I'd like to add 'Chalk' - 1997 (Steven Moffat) with David Bamber. It wasn't well received at the time but I thought it was very funny.

"Chalk" was very OTT a lot of the time but it had its moments of inspired lunacy, I thought:

BAMBER (to pupil):"Here, make a plasticine model of God . . . and make sure you get it right!"

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    What was that late night chat show thing c1979 based on the Seven Deadly Sins that only lasted about 3 weeks? And around the same time didn't Harold Wilson have a brief career as a chat show host or was he just a guest presenter?

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']What was that late night chat show thing c1979 based on the Seven Deadly Sins that only lasted about 3 weeks? And around the same time didn't Harold Wilson have a brief career as a chat show host or was he just a guest presenter?

Harold was the actual presenter but he really struggled and it did n't last long.

I was told that the real reason he retired in 1976 was he already had started with the symptoms of the Alzheimers disease he eventually succumbed to. This would explain his poor performance as the chat show host where he did at times seem completely lost.