+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Does anyone know if there are a list of these serials to be found anywhere.I know its a tall order and I think i may have to go to the ref Library in Birmingham and go through all the old Radio Times.

I managed to get some of these serials through Masterpiece Theatre an American show that shows Classic related shows

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    You can do no worse than check out the fabulous 1950's British TV Nostalgia site decoted to the memories of 1950's and 60's TV entertainment. It gives the dates of transmissions in many cases, but you will need to go through the programmes one by one to note them down.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    devoted even

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    One of the first serials I remember seeing when we first had a television in 1952 was Anne Of Green Gables. Then in 1953, there was The Quatermass Experiment in July and Heidi, with a very young Julia Lockwood in the title role, in October.

Little Red Monkey was probably shown in early 1954 and later BBC serials I remember watching were Quatermass II in 1956 (or was it 1955?); Treasure Island and Nicholas Nickleby in 1957; The Diary Of Samuel Pepys and The Silver Sword in 1958 and Quatermass and the Pit in late 1958 and early 1959. Another version of Cabin in the Clearing was shown in early 1959.

A lot of ITV serials were seen, too, including The Voodoo Factor and Pathfinders to Venus in 1960 and Mystery Hall in 1967.

There were a lot more, but the above is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. Yes, I know a few of them, including the Quatermass serials, weren't meant for children, but I thought I'd add them anyway, as children used to watch them, even if they weren't supposed to.

Liked
    80 times
    This sites give details of some programmes for children, but not just BBC or British ones:

Children's Television | Memorable TV

There is also a book on British TV for kids:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Beyond-Childrens-Television-Encyclopedia/dp/085170879X]The Hill and Beyond: Children's Television Drama - An Encyclopedia:[/ame]

E.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your advice everyone

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    You need The British Television Children’s Research Guide 1950-1997 from the excellent Kaleidoscope.

Kaleidoscope Publishing :: Books :: Children's Guide

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    The site that Rick mentioned has a good you tube link.

YouTube - WhirligigTV's Channel

xx

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Ican

That is exactly what I want and the books cover

all other titles as well

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi.

Taking advantge of using a public computer in the Hemel Hempstead Library, I have walked over to a bookshelf where I remembered there was a book on this subject.

I am sitting here now looking at a book titled, SERIALS ON BRITISH TELEVISION 1950-1994.

It is by Ellen Baskin.

However, it is not exclusive to children's serials. But it does give basic information, and the time the serial was broadcast, so you can tell from that whether the serial was for adults or children.

Alan French.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='paul bisson']Hi

Does anyone know if there are a list of these serials to be found anywhere.I know its a tall order and I think i may have to go to the ref Library in Birmingham and go through all the old Radio Times.

I managed to get some of these serials through Masterpiece Theatre an American show that shows Classic related shows

I have orginal Radio Times

might help about Children television

John