+ Reply to Thread
    Member Country: UK Loose_Cannon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone recall the title of a TV "Play for Today" type thing (although it might have been something else); basically a semi detached couple find the local prostitutes have started using the road outside their house, cue lots of twitching curtains and complaining. Then the wife, trapped in a passionless marriage, starts to feel curious about their motives and lifestyle ending up bringing a "punter" back to the house to see what it's like.

This must have been broadcast in the mid 80s, although it "felt" much older, possibly because of the low budget style and the fact the punter had a Jason Wyngarde 'tache.

All I can remeber of the dialogue was before the pivotal event the husband asking his wife to dress up a bit to spice up their love life, her mockingly throwing herself on the bed saying "how do you want it?", and him storming off in disgust.

Funny how some insignificant little programmes stay with you isn't it?

Liked
    0 times
    Although I don't recall the programme that is on your mind, I do know what you mean about being bugged by an old programme. I remember way back in the sixties or early seventies a TV play starring the then absolutely gorgious Gorgina Hale, in it she played a wife who's husband bought her a Robot to help her around the house, only...it took over! I havn't a clue what it was called, but I can still see young Gorgina and hear that husky voice. Mmmm. Anyway, I do hope someone can answer your queery though.

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    The second one sound s like a TV play called A.D.A.M where the husband of a disabled wife builds a house run by a computer called A.D.A.M 1973

Liked
    0 times
    Going back to the original post - I remember I think what you are describing although the housewife didn't become a prostitute (if it's the same play), but she was affected by some prostitutes that had moved in either next door or in an adjoining apartment. She actually finds that these girls were nice people and she becomes envious of them. There is a scene near the end where she has bought some sexy black underwear - and walks into the bedroom in a very stilted fashion wearing it and her husband tells her that she doesn't have to do things like that. Its only when she hears her daughter talking to her friends about what's going on and I think they are laughing at a lot of sexy underwear that she ends up calling the police and getting her neighbours arrested.

Can't remember much about it except I have a feeling it was on ITV - possibly made by Thames - and I think there may have been a "shock horror" story about it in the tabloid press at the time.

I didn't catch all of it so maybe I missed the bit you describe and I am sure I only turned it on because I wanted to see someting that was coming on afterwards. I know I saw it in my old house which means it was between 1975 and 1983.

Someone out there knows....

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that; yes you are right she doesn't actually become one but becomes envious of them, my title is a bit misleading. Nice to know someone else remembers it, although I can't remember any furore after transmission. There seemed to be quite few racy plays on at the time, and I remember feeling very grown up (albeit embarrassed) when my parents allowed me to watch them without being scooted up to bed.

If I recall she was a very attractive actress and I wondered what problem the husband had in fancying here!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    The only thing I could have suggested was the very rare Brit film PROSTITUTE (Ray Garnett 1980) shot in my adopted home town of Birmingham, but Cannon's later descriptions seem to suggest that 'twas definitely not it. The plot they suggest does ring some sort of distant bell though .

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember this one too. I think it is "Queen of Hearts" TX 11/8/85 BBC2, with Lorna Heilbron but I can't find enough out about it to be sure - it has been raised as a query on other sites.

"Unrest amongst the residents of a London square, when prostitutes start using it as their hunting ground"

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    (I have to read all of Kelp's postings to make sure he's not jousting with me on posts like this! That guy-! It's not like he doesn't get enough long legs himself...)

Liked
    0 times
    It was definitely called "Queen of Hearts" (I remember that and had been trying to trace it) and it was shown by the BBC in 1985, shortly before we acquired a video recorder. I can recall much of the play quite vividly; I don't think it's been repeated. Lorna Heilbron's onw website confirms her role in the play. It was baffling why her husband did not recognise her merits - though I think it was as a result of rifling through her daughter's drawers (in more than one sense) that she a acquired a fresh, but temporary, sense of her sexuality. I think she only acted as a pro once - because her husband had admitted to being with one at some time in the past.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Jack Gurney']The only thing I could have suggested was the very rare Brit film PROSTITUTE (Ray Garnett 1980) shot in my adopted home town of Birmingham, but Cannon's later descriptions seem to suggest that 'twas definitely not it. The plot they suggest does ring some sort of distant bell though .

Any chance of getting a copy of this? I do recall this film and if memory serves me correct it was shown after World In Action. Although being young i should not have been watching this but it was there on the TV and i managed to catch glimpses of it. Any body who might have a copy please contact me Cheers!!!

Liked
    1 times
    no sorry dont rememer this at all, but , would anyone know of the play, with two middle aged people seeing each other from a block of offices over the way, and the man thinks the woman is young with her long blonde hair and clothes, , Rosemary , think her real name was, , it was hilarious, he started chatting her up on the phone and over time they met, but cant remember the name of the play or the actors , can see them in my mind though.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the definitive answer, and please excuse me for not checking back through previous posts. I'm only an occasional visitor here and it's so busy I never expected a reply a year+ after my original query, I assumed it would be pages behind all the new stuff and forgotten. I spend most of my time on car related forums being a petrolhead, as a movie fan too I know if I got too involved here I would never get out of the house at all!

With the newfound info I've just had a bit of a google around on the cast etc.

Yes I remeber too being baffled why the husband wasn't more , er, "interested" at the gorgeous Ms Heilbron...