+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hope & Glory

Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know where the shot near the end of the film , of the school having been bombed is located . Thanks Annette

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    name='ANNETTE MASTERS']Does anyone know where the shot near the end of the film , of the school having been bombed is located . Thanks Annette
    Hello, Annette:

Let me take a moment first to say that I was happy to see Ian Bannen replace Trevor Howard as the grandfather in Hope and Glory. Bannen was glorious in the role and a delightful scene stealer throughout.

But to your question on the location of the school. Based on comments from imdb, which I can't verify, yet they ring true, I wonder if the bombed schoolhouse wasn't part of the set built at the then closed down Wisley Airfield in Surrey.

Hope this helps,

Barbara

From an interview with fire and explosion film expert Alan Sutton (FUFS - Company Profile):

When asked, "What about the risk factor?" Sutton said, ``It's as dangerous as you want it to be. I nearly got killed on the job in England. It was a John Boorman movie, "Hope And Glory." They built a house on an old airfield. When they were burning the upstairs, there were 2 of us upstairs ready to put the fire out. The effects did it four times. Boorman said, `Not enough glow in the fire.' They added naphthalene, and it burned the roof around our heads.''

And the following comment from someone "who worked on the film" which reinforces the above information:

"Billy's Rosehill Avenue was entirely a set, built on the disused RAF wartime airfield at Wisley in Surrey. The set was so good, thanks to the brilliance of Boorman and Tony Pratt, the production designer, that we lost our Oscar to Woody Allen's Radio Days (who used actual exterior locales) because our set looked 'merely' and convincingly real. Boorman's cleverness was in building two identical houses for Billy, one at either end of the street. This gave us the opportunity to shoot in both directions, with the house in foreground in each case, which effectively made Rosehill Avenue twice as long.

"Another peculiar fact was that the snow and frost scenes were all shot in high summer, in August, and again were so convincing that one felt quite chilly walking through the house from full summer on one side into the dead of winter on the other. This is no exaggeration.

"The riverside locations and Grandad's house (another set) were shot along the riverbank near Shepperton Lock. [between Surrey and Middlesex]

"The interior of the cinema was the beautiful old art-deco cinema in Henley, during which the campaign to save it - led by George Harrison (who came to visit us)- was in full flow. Unfortunately, the campaigners lost and the cinema was eventually pulled down - probably replaced by a supermarket.

"The end sequence on a particularly beautiful stretch of the river at Monkey Island, near Bray. "

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    From memory, the school was in the early scenes and was in a built up area, so I doubt it was a set. The Wisley set looked very convincing. I have been to the abandoned aerodrome many times, and it is a pretty windswept and desolate spot...absolutely no sign of the former set.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the info, everybody. I was particularly interested in the school because it looks so much like the school I attended in Ealing in the 50s . But I guess there were loads of schools like that in the U.K at that time !!! Thanks again . Annette

Liked
    399 times
    name='ANNETTE MASTERS']Thanks for all the info, everybody. I was particularly interested in the school because it looks so much like the school I attended in Ealing in the 50s . But I guess there were loads of schools like that in the U.K at that time !!! Thanks again . Annette
    Hello, Annette,

Here is another comment from the man above who worked on the film when I asked him if the school was part of the set built on the airfield:

"No, it was not a set but a real Victorian Junior School in Fulham. In fact, the sequence of the children being marshalled in the playground by the irascible head teacher was the very first to be shot on the picture."

As usual, scenes were shot out of sequence with one of those in the latter part coming first, but it's good to know the school was not a set. Hope this helps further.

Barbara

Liked
    2 times
    [QUOTE=theuofc"No, it was not a set but a real Victorian Junior School in Fulham. Barbara[/QUOTE]

Hi Barbara, does this mean I am off to Google Earth again to scour for schools in Fulham?

Liked
    399 times
    name='spinalman']Hi Barbara, does this mean I am off to Google Earth again to scour for schools in Fulham?
    It does indeed, Paul. You're going to turn out to be our "BMF Location Finder"! :) I wonder if Carlito Corway, who is searching for the Halfway House locations, especially the rail station used, might benefit from your Google Earth tips although the station might now be demolished. I believe he mentioned that it was a costly project doing exhaustive land searches.

Barbara

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc
    It does indeed, Paul. You're going to turn out to be our "BMF Location Finder"! :) I wonder if Carlito Corway, who is searching for the Halfway House locations, especially the rail station used, might benefit from your Google Earth tips although the station might now be demolished. I believe he mentioned that it was a costly project doing exhaustive land searches.

Barbara

Hi,

In which case he may be better served by getting the older aerial photos at the RCHME (Royal Commission for Historic Monuments in England) archive in Swindon. These are aerial photos taken since 1945. The more populous the area, the more photos in the archive...or if it is close to a road/rail link /military then aerials would have been taken more regularly. they will have the same amount of detail as Google Earth and span 1945- 1980's.

I have 10x8 prints of my home town and my house taken in 1945, 1960 and 1974 -fascinating to compare. i'll post a sample if anyone is interested.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    I would certainly be interested in this, Paul, thanks.

May I ask how does one acquire copies of these aerial photos from the archive - are they freely available?

rgds

Rob:)

Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Compton
    I would certainly be interested in this, Paul, thanks.

May I ask how does one acquire copies of these aerial photos from the archive - are they freely available?

rgds

Hi Rob,

altoHiway Ltd: Domain Placeholder is the site..although strangely dead now..maybe they have changed their name. They are/were based in Swindon...I phoned them first, talked to a archivist (very helpful) and they will send an idex of all prints of your grid ref. You select some to preview as photocopies of the neg. selct the best and they print to photopaper to any size. takes a while 2-3 weeks.

This is a small low-res selective detail clip of a 10x8 print I bought of my home town. About 16 pounds. The photocopies were free! You will need to know your OS grid reference and then interpret a huge number of grid references that they send you on a computer print out. This contains references for all the aerial sweeps they made with the necessary overlaps of frames as the aicraft passed overhead taking photos. They are graded for clarity.

[img=http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9788/mysteryeleven8ev.th.jpg]

[img=http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4854/tbhospitalsmall9zp.th.jpg]

Is where I live..this time full frame in 1970 (this is the size you get on most prints...RAF ones are taken from higher up so less detail)

Liked
    4 times
    That is very helpful, Paul, many thanks! The second image has a curious "X marks the spot" structure! What on earth is it?

Best wishes

Liked
    2 times
    Hi Rob,

It is a TB Sanatorium..covered walkways between huts. The rectangle at the top had intrigued me..as all the site had long since been destroyed and forest overgrown. I saw the rectangle on the photo and went in search to discover if it was water reservoir etc...now covered by trees.... eventually I broke through the scrub and trees to find a chainlink fence interwoven with the bushes...I climbed over to find a thick moss carpet with a wooden pole sticking up, with brass fittings...it was the tennis net. I dug down into the forest floor to discover white lines on tarmac. It was like coming accross Titanic in the seafloor.,, it is amazing what aerials reveal.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Barbara for the info. about the school being in Fulham. Also everybody else for there info. Annette

Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spinalman
    Hi Rob,

It is a TB Sanatorium..covered walkways between huts. The rectangle at the top had intrigued me..as all the site had long since been destroyed and forest overgrown. I saw the rectangle on the photo and went in search to discover if it was water reservoir etc...now covered by trees.... eventually I broke through the scrub and trees to find a chainlink fence interwoven with the bushes...I climbed over to find a thick moss carpet with a wooden pole sticking up, with brass fittings...it was the tennis net. I dug down into the forest floor to discover white lines on tarmac. It was like coming accross Titanic in the seafloor.,, it is amazing what aerials reveal.

How fascinating! Thanks for the story Paul :)

Liked
    0 times
    It was just shown over here a couple of weeks ago on TV and I was wondering the same thing about where some of the scenes were filmed . So it is nice to see some answers. I also thought the school looked so familiar but like another member says most of the schools in our days looked like that.

I sure do like Ian Bannen. we see him in a lot of things over here

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hope and Glory has always been a favourite of mine and I have taken a couple of strolls out on the disused airfield at Wisley, but only recently found out that the scene were the father signs up for military service at the pub and shuts his friends finger in the car door as he drives away was shot at The Vine Inn, Hillingdon Hill, Uxbridge.

Strange that The Vine is spitting distance from where I live..

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Good example of how to ruin a period building with God awful satellite dishes and crude looking lights dotted all over the facade!! Shame!

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Does anyone know what film they where making (thats if its based on a real event and film) on the banks of the Thames at the end of the movie when Grandad is taking Billy to school
    film crew with lights and lots of extras in German uniform

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Annette -

In case you are still interested: the school building is Queen's Manor Primary School, on Lysia Street in Fulham.

Best regards -

Martyn

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A black and white flashback scene for Hope and Glory set at Dunkirk was filmed at Saltdean with loads of extras from the territorial army crawling up the beach, with liberal quantities of thick black smoke, red paint for blood, and copious barbed wire strewn across the beach. It didn't make the finished film and I don't know if it survives. All that made the final cut was a small scene of the family on holiday at the beach by the barbed wire shot with a restricted view.

cheers
    Johnnyn