+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    EDIT FEB 20th :-

HI GANG ! - ADY HERE - I've been off-line for a couple of months and the village photo website has lost all the pics below. I'll try and repair these links over the next few weeks.

ORIGINAL POST :-

Here are some stills from my DVD - recorded from tv !

The Third Man !

Kindly remove yourself !

. . . call me Sausage !

The "School" - Where is this ?

Liked
    2 times
    Nice stills Ady.

I went searching for the location of the school recently....a wild goose chase around country lanes tucked away near Liss Hampshire....I found the lane that I think leads to the place, Langley Court, but never quite made it to the buildings....

The railway staion could well be Liss, but redeveloped beyond recognition.

Liked
    0 times
    Other websites seem to confirm that this was filmed at Langley Court at Liss in Hampshire (Hampshire Surrey Border)

"All interior shots took place at Riverside studios in Hammersmith, London. The exterior scenes were filmed on location at a public girl's school near Liss in Hampshire. During the 12 - week shoot both Margaret Rutherford and Joyce Grenfell were staying in a hotel nearby and would often visit the school during the evenings where they would happily enjoy the company of the real school mistresses."

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Interesting link, thanks CC1. One thing puzzles me though, and that is the reference to "Langley" station - I think the poster must mean "Liss". Langley is miles away on the Western Region to the west of London, near Slough.

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    WD marking .

LMR wd loco "Lisieux" 75079 seems to be undergoing a repaint during filming the two scenes - see post below

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    The Longmoor (Military railway) reference pretty much confirms that the station is near, or is, Liss - Longmoor being close by, for those that don't know the area

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    The Longmoor (Military railway) reference pretty much confirms that the station is near, or is, Liss - Longmoor being close by . . .
    - yes Rob, look at the following link - I think you're right. ARTICLE HERE

See nameplate " LISIEUX " on side of Loco 75079 . The "Railway Gazette" of 5th July 1949 states ; "No.75079 was named SIR JOHN FRENCH" Clearly this was not the case by the time of filming. see

see WD marking in the opening shot of film.

no WD marking in this later shot. (same loco - 75079 )

- and " LMR " seems to be painted out .

inset - see nameplate " LISIEUX "

LMR loco "Lisieux" 75079 seems to be undergoing a repaint during filming the two scenes.

Ady.

ps. ( Ady wishes to point out that, although he has been known to shovel coal into a firebox on the odd occassion , he is NOT a train spotter - Trainspotting requires skills that Ady does not posess. ) ( although he seems to be gradually aquiring them ! )

Liked
    151 times
    Threads split.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Excellent work, and a great thread thread on one of my favourite films, I had no idea the "school" was so close to me. Quite literally just down the road, I will investigate myself and see what I can come up with

Liked
    0 times
    - don't forget to take your camera !!

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes it is Liss station in the film but it is the platform used by the Longmoor Military Railway. There is still a station at Liss but the Longmoor line closed about 35 years ago. The platform also appears at the end of The Great St Trinians Train Robbery.

Liked
    92 times
    Will have to have another attempt, so many narrow tracks around there I lost my bearings

Liked
    0 times
    Will have to have another attempt, so many narrow tracks around there I lost my bearings

. . . . . . . . come off it , Harbottle; clearly, you only got as far as the "Coach and Horses" as mentioned by Hyde-Brown in the film ; - even your avatar's wobbling !!

Ady !

Liked
    2 times
    Great research Ady, I had no idea the Longmoor railway was so extensive.

Am I to presume that all the train sequences of Great St Trinians train robbery were shot on Longmoor sidings and track?

Harbottle - if you are out searching in the area, have a look out for the Atlantic Wall - a curious relic from WW2, was very hush hush and now tucked away hidden in the forest a few miles North on Military land near Thursley. A Sea Wall in Surrey? - D-Day preparations on Hankley Common

Liked
    92 times
    Great research Ady, I had no idea the Longmoor railway was so extensive.

Am I to presume that all the train sequences of Great St Trinians train robbery were shot on Longmoor sidings and track?

Harbottle - if you are out searching in the area, have a look out for the Atlantic Wall - a curious relic from WW2, was very hush hush and now tucked away hidden in the forest a few miles North on Military land near Thursley. A Sea Wall in Surrey? - D-Day preparations on Hankley Common
    Excellent link, much thanks for the suggestion I did go and have a look at this after reading an article I think in the Farnham Herald. Similarly they did a feature on the filming of the Great St Trinians Train Robbery on the Longmoor Military Railway, I wish I had kept this as a number of interesting photographs were included. The chase sequence was filmed there, and I can walk to what was the track through woods from my home.

Liked
    2 times
    I think this is the old school featured in all the exteriors, playing fields etc.

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

Nearby to the west is the railway, and to the north west is Longmoor camp.

see :

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

this shows (I am speculating) a curve of a track in the centre of the image, starting at Liss rail station and weaving through to the Longmoor camp. I presume this is where the extensive St. Trinian's scenes were shot, and maybe the Happiest Day's stuff.

Longmoor Military Railway

is curious background...I love the last line.

Liked
    0 times
    I've often wondered where this was filmed. Would anyone know please?

Thanks,

bob

Liked
    0 times
    Flashearth is amazing ! - I can waste hours and hours on it !

also - pictures links have been repaired in my posts above - ARE THESE PICS TOO BIG ? - anyone any comment ? (pm if you prefer)

Liked
    2 times
    Flashearth is amazing ! - I can waste hours and hours on it !

also - pictures links have been repaired in my posts above - ARE THESE PICS TOO BIG ? - anyone any comment ? (pm if you prefer)
    Hi Ady, No your pictures are perfect in size..thanks for updating the links...most useful, and illuminating. FlashEarth is my tool of choice....I spend too much time flying the country. latest was this.... a WW1 12 inch gun underground bunker _ Kitcheners Battery.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.07....5&r=0&src=msl

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The Woodie wagon appears to be a 1935 Ford V-8 Station Wagon, London-registered. I have a pal who is into woodie wagons if you want clarification. The locos were former War Department 'Austerity' 0-6-0 saddle tanks, of course on the Longmoor Military Railaway near Liss, Liphooke, etc. The carriages were used to transport personnel around the extensive layout and teach Royal Corps of Transport personnel about running railways.