+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I was talking to an old pal the other day who used to work in the same office as June Ritchie when she was a clerk at the Manchester Ship Canal Company's offices in King Street, Manchester. At that time (late 50's) she was involved in amateur dramatics with a Stretford Amateur Society. This revived memories of A Kind of Loving the film and also the TV version and I refreshed my memory by reading the details on Britmovie and also on IMDb. I notice that your details of the film state that Vic was a 'Lancashire Lad'. However, reading a synopsis of the TV version on IMDb they state he's the son of a Yorkshire miner. Were Vic's origins changed for the TV version or was the movie in error. Which was true to the novel by Barstow? I seem to remember that much of the film was shot around the Greater Manchester area.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    A chap I used to work with years ago is in AKOL. They used the factory where he worked as a location for the film .... he can been seen sitting behind the two leads on a bus.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It was shot in Bolton. I think they filmed a scene showing matchday at Burnden Park.

Whilst I have read the book, I recall it mentioned life in the West Riding of Yorkshire, from where Barstow himself was brought up. I can't recall his Father's job description but I suspect the TV adaption is probably closer to the mark.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Kind of Loving, A 1962Alan Bates, June Ritchie, Thora HirdBeswick, Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Burnley?, Radcliffe, Manchester, Irwell Valley, Ealing?, Brentford?, Carnforth?, LancashireDirector : John Schlesinger Production Company : Vic Films Productions Limited.

A young man, inching his way up from working-class traditions via a white-collar job, finds himself trapped by the frightening reality of his girlfriend's pregnancy and is forced into marrying her and moving in with his mother-in-law due to a housing shortage in their Northern England town.

My name is Simon Hopes residing in Manchester about 3 miles from where a lot of the film A Taste of Honey was shot. Mostly filmed in Manchester are all predominately taken in the Miles Platting which is right on the edge of the city centre hemmed in by the city and the areas of Clayton and Beswick. I've discovered quite a few that are still there and I hope to take some "now" stills very soon.

Just to start the ball rolling the shot toho11c was filmed on Cambrian Street off Ashton new road and is [at the moment], untouched from the days of filming.

A lot of the canal scenes attributed to the ship canal on the stills aren't the ship canal at all. They were filmed on the canal that runs through the above districts. Most were filled in during the 60's, but incredibally have been re-opened in the last few years and are [of course] on the same route. If you look closely you can see the differance on some shots because the canal is only so wide and not capable of fitting a ship on.

The gasommeters on the stills were located on Bradford Road in Miles Platting on land very close to where Manchester City's new City of Manchester stadium is now. Only one survives, the others [the taller ones] were demolished in the mid 90's.

This area was also used to film scenes in "A Kind of Loving" - the scene wear Vic runs away from his sister's new house to be with Ingrid [I think], the 60's maisonette where it was filmed is still there, minus it's top floor and the mill in the background with a castellated tower is the only one of originally 4 that was not burned to the ground,[I should know, I'm a fireman].

Like I say, soon when I have leave, I'll take some shots and send them in.

One last thing,so little has changed in parts of the area that "Life on Mars", the 1970's themed drama, was filmed in certain locations that were also used on "A Taste of Honey".

These pictures are probably in Preston, Bolton or Blackburn with the Miller Arcade, Preston - then and now

Liked
    0 times
    Well done caped crusader.

Very interesting stuff. There's no doubt about it you can't beat a good kitchen sinker!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The novel was set in the mining town of "Cressley" based on Dewsbury in West Yorkshire.

D.

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    This short article appears in the latest on-line edition of the Lytham St Annes Express newspaper commemorating 50 years since the filming of brief scenes in St Annes-on-Sea. Strangely IMDB does not mention the town in its list of filming locations - unless they count the Fylde Coast as being in Greater Manchester!

Spotlight on 1960s seafront

The following pictures appear in the newspaper but not on the web page.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    This short article appears in the latest on-line edition of the Lytham St Annes Express newspaper commemorating 50 years since the filming of brief scenes in St Annes-on-Sea. Strangely IMDB does not mention the town in its list of filming locations - unless they count the Fylde Coast as being in Greater Manchester!
    The IMDb doesn't guarantee to list every location. They can only list what people have told them. That's why there's an Edit button at the bottom of every page so that you can submit any information they don't have or correcting information that they do have. It always helps to include some supporting information with your submission so include the web page in your comments

Steve

Liked
    22 times
    As they catch the bus to go on honeymoon it says "Southport" but in fact they go to St Anne's on Sea

Liked
    22 times

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    A lot of this film was shot in my home town of Oldham as well.

Liked
    22 times
    Sorry this is three and a half years late

Ship Canal House-Manchester Liners House, Manchester | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ship Canal House-Manchester Liners House, Manchester

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    The IMDb doesn't guarantee to list every location. They can only list what people have told them. That's why there's an Edit button at the bottom of every page so that you can submit any information they don't have or correcting information that they do have. It always helps to include some supporting information with your submission so include the web page in your comments
    Steve
    Thanks Steve - I've not tried to amend IMDB before but will give it a go.

As mentioned in the article the pier photo was taken high up on the now-demolished Majestic Hotel but it would still be possible to get a reasonably close viewpoint from the flats that replaced them. The very end of the pier is no more but that is compensated by the statue of Les Dawson situated in the rectangular area between the coach and the shore.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post

Spotlight on 1960s seafront

The following pictures appear in the newspaper but not on the web page.

I've just added St Annes to the locations for AKOL on IMDB. It could be a loooooooong time before it appears because they seem to have stopped processing location entries - I've got ones dating back to May and not a single one has appeared since then. This is very poor service, but strangely no-one else on the contributors' forum seems to be kicking up a stink about it. I've asked till I'm blue in the face and I get no official answer from the staff and just "it will appear eventually, so be patient" responses from other users. Nearly six months is way beyond my definition of "patient".

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU View Post
    I've just added St Annes to the locations for AKOL on IMDB. It could be a loooooooong time before it appears because they seem to have stopped processing location entries - I've got ones dating back to May and not a single one has appeared since then. This is very poor service, but strangely no-one else on the contributors' forum seems to be kicking up a stink about it. I've asked till I'm blue in the face and I get no official answer from the staff and just "it will appear eventually, so be patient" responses from other users. Nearly six months is way beyond my definition of "patient".
    Only May? I've got some location changes that were made a long time before then that haven't been processed yet.

The IMDb staff have undergone a fairly massive upheaval and it will take them a while to get everything back to anything approaching normal

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Only May? I've got some location changes that were made a long time before then that haven't been processed yet.

The IMDb staff have undergone a fairly massive upheaval and it will take them a while to get everything back to anything approaching normal

Steve
    Looks as if they should have done a risk assessment of the consequences of getting rid of some of their best staff (JReeves, come back!) without first getting their new replacement staff fully trained. I'm very pissed-off that they are taking so long to get locations and soundtracks published. I've got nearly 100 submissions waiting to be published (I keep the confirmation emails until the data has been published), and god knows how many entries those emails contain.