Liked
    0 times
    Lets Slip Away

2CD set including one cd of film work

Let's Slip Away: Film and TV Themes 1960-1973 - Johnny Dankworth

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Shame there's not more from The Servant on there. A really great score.

I also remember fondly the Prom Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine did about 15 years ago. Some great stuff in there, but very little of it ever recorded, unfortunately (to my knowledge, anyway).

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for the link, Peter, and welcome back. Where have you been?

Let's Slip Away is the tune heard in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning when Albert Finney and Rachel Roberts are in (I think) a fairground, being watched by her husband Bryan Pringle. I've always wanted a copy of this haunting record so it's great news for me. I know this was a minor hit for Cleo Laine but is that her voice on the soundtrack? Didn't sound like her.

Other themes I'm looking forward to hearing are those for Darling, one of my favourite Sixties films, Modesty Blaise and Tomorrow's World. A long overdue release - can't wait!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    BBC Radio 2 did a terrific prog on all of John's film music in the Series 'Music By...' sometime in the late 1990s.

I remember John said he bought the house in Milton Keynes on the profits of his film music..everything from Fathom to the Servant...Pity it's not on CD.

Film Man.

Liked
    177 times
    John wasn't with Cleo Laine when she appeared on Paul O'Grady's show

recently. I hope he's okay. This series would have been worth watching:

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Film Man']BBC Radio 2 did a terrific prog on all of John's film music in the Series 'Music By...' sometime in the late 1990s.

Thank you for reminding me about that series. I think I've got them on tape somewhere.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    name='cornershop15']Thanks for the link, Peter, and welcome back. Where have you been?

Let's Slip Away is the tune heard in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning when Albert Finney and Rachel Roberts are in (I think) a fairground, being watched by her husband Bryan Pringle.

It's also played during the Hall Of Mirrors scene at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in "A Taste Of Honey" 1961.

Liked
    177 times
    Really? I remember the scene very well but not the background music. It's many years since I've seen A Taste of Honey and the song that always comes to mind is The Big Ship Sails ("on the alley alley oh"). IMDb confirms you're right but it's still a surprise as both films are 'Kitchen Sink' favourites of mine. Thanks for telling me.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    You're welcome. Both films were produced by Tony Richardson, maybe he liked the song, or had a deal to use it in a couple of his films?

Liked
    177 times
    name='Santonix']You're welcome. Both films were produced by Tony Richardson, maybe he liked the song, or had a deal to use it in a couple of his films?

I can't find any information on why the song was heard in both films but the inevitable Google search led me back here - Boomerang-style:

Music from A Taste of Honey - Britmovie - British Film Forum

I also found this on YouTube. Like the record more than the title :

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=onET849hgbc&feature=related"]YouTube- Johnny Dankworth - Experiments With Mice[/ame]

#7 in 1956

I haven't heard that for AGES. The CD that's promoted in this thread is currently a reasonable 9.98.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The link doesn't seem to work for me, but I found the album on Amazon. Not bad, a double CD set for a tenner. Glad to see 'Thieving Boy' on there. I watched 'The Criminal' (Stanley Baker et al ) last night which features this song and searched for it.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Hi cornershop

When we saw Cleo Laine at the Royal Festival Hall in London recently, John Dankworth appeared briefly in a wheelchair having had an operation on his leg. He looked a bit frail but I assume he is on the mend now - he did still accompany her on one song.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for the information, didi. Sorry for the late reply. I can only hope he gets well soon.

Liked
    177 times
    Well I received the CD yesterday, from Amazon, and listened to it on the computer while I was compiling another post for the 'Sixties Diary'. Coincidentally, the name of Tubby Hayes, a British Jazz saxophonist, who is mentioned in the CD's sleevenotes, was one of the names I added to the list of birthdays for 30th January 1960. Spooky that his name should turn up twice in one day.

As for the music, I liked CD1 better than 2. John seems to have had his 'purple patch' (or golden perod) during the Sixties, along with quite a few composers, from Tony Hatch to Henry Mancini. An exceptional decade for Film and TV themes.

The title song for the CD was, as I mentioned in post #3, heard during a scene in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. Hearing Cleo Laine's version of Let's Slip Away for the first time made it clear to me that she was definitely NOT the singer in the film. I wish I could learn her idenity. I'll have to go through a list of every young British female singer from that era I think, those who had hit records anyway. Carol Deene? There's something eerie, or ghostly, about that voice. The sound reminds me very much of The Shangri-Las, who didn't arrive until almost five years later.

The highlight for me was Track 4, Pavane for Diane, an elegant aria that was used in Darling. I remembered the tune, if not the scene, and loved hearing it again