Closed Thread
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mervyn2's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Has anyone else seen a funny comment left on there as a review for a film? I shan't name the film here, but one reviewer clearly didn't enjoy it and simply wrote:

"The movie starts - then sh*t happens"

Maybe it's just me, but it gave me a giggle today
    Last edited by Mervyn2; 27-04-12 at 02:45 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I did a very brief and subjective review for Brand, a BBC play starring Patrick McGoohan.
    Most people who express a preference say they don't like the review. I would guess this is becuase it doesn;lt tell them what the movie is about at all.....

Or maybe, it's just because it's a really crap review.....

Having said that, my computer gets so cranky getting on imdb these days I hardly ever go there anymore.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post
    I did a very brief and subjective review for Brand, a BBC play starring Patrick McGoohan.
    Most people who express a preference say they don't like the review. I would guess this is becuase it doesn;lt tell them what the movie is about at all.....
    Just read it. Nice review, just about sums up your irritation for those who complain about 'old TV'!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I always liked the plot summary on the IMDb for Romeo & Juliet (1978) (TV movie)

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin View Post

Or maybe, it's just because it's a really crap review.....

Having said that, my computer gets so cranky getting on imdb these days I hardly ever go there anymore.
    Just read it, and I liked your review. I got this on the US only BBC Ibsen collection (you could add that fact to your review - not available in the home country) as I'm a huge fan of Mr McGoohan and Jenny Agutter (who appears aged 19 in The Wild Duck). I thought Brand was excellent, broadcast only a year before my birth (we must be of similar age). The fact I grew up with 60s/70s TV, and my love of Ingmar Begman films, means I have the will power, though age is telling on my bladder! I must admit though that some of the adaptations were bad, simply because of lack of imagination or poorly translated to TV (interestingly it's the film & TV actors who give the better performances). I loved the days of one-off plays (if you think about it, they're no different than TV movies in terms of format!), e.g. I can still recall Tom Stoppard's Professional Foul with great delight. However, they always had lower ratings than series/serials, but were the main staple of TV drama for two reasons: firstly to fill the schedules (too much airtime for expensive serials/series, remember there were no stripped daily soaps then) and secondly because it gave prestige to the medium. The best service they provided was when occasionally BBC2 would mount a TV version of a successful West End/National Theatre production, even as late as 1995 auntie beeb was able to offer David Hare's The Absence of War. Though not to slight ITV, Granada in 1956 mounted a version of Look Back in Anger with Alan Bates from the Royal Court production. I sometimes think that modern 2 or 3-parters that ITV seems to like are padded and would have been better as one-offs.

The problem I find with imdb is the inaccuracies, especially as some people regard their info as sacred, that and the fact they won't correct these even when pointed out.

Funniest reviews for me (not on imdb) still have to be for I Am A Camera (theatre 1951): "Me no Leica", and The Greatest Story Ever Told (film 1965): "No it isn't"!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    The problem I find with imdb is the inaccuracies, especially as some people regard their info as sacred, that and the fact they won't correct these even when pointed out.
    Which particular inaccuracies?
    Any factual inaccuracies like in cast or crew can be corrected by anyone, preferably with proof.
    Any inaccuracies in reviews aren't really inaccuracies because they are just someone's opinion - unless they also contain factual inaccuracies, in which case they can be corrected or reported

Steve

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I read one in a movie guide book that went "Let's Rock" 1958 ...."Let's Not"!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I see that F. Gwynplaine Macintyre's reviews are still on there....

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1609079/c...=on&order=date

Liked
    144 times
    Not a funny review but a funny trivia about Mogambo

- Donald Sinden (and all male members of the crew who removed their shirts) had to shave any hair from their chests daily, as Clark Gable (who did not have a hairy chest) thought it an affront to his 'manliness'.

Ha,ha, unbelievable.
    Last edited by moonfleet; 30-04-12 at 04:18 PM.