+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a VHS tape where the tape has become twisted inside.the only way to repair it will be to unscrew the case and try and remove the twist and put the tape together again.The screws are very small and the odd 4 star shape.Is there a size number for the screwdriver required.If so can you please help on this.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    When I had the video store I had a set of screwdrivers that were exactly the right kind, almost star shaped. They were bought from a hardware store locally and I'm sure most DIY stores such as B&Q would have them.

If you take the tape with you an assistant will find the type you need, they're not very expensive either and are also very useful for modern electrical appliances such as games consoles and DVD players.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    If the tape has not broken there is no need to take the case apart.

underneath the case in between the two reels you will see a circular hole (not the big one by the tape flap but the one nearest to where the label is stuck on)

push a screwdriver in there and it will release the spool brake, then you press the little notch on the right hand side of the flap to lift the flap .

With the spool brake released and the flap lifted you can now pull out the tape

by hand and sort it out . Wash your hands in washing up liquid beforehand to stop any skin grease getting on the tape.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Orpheum,

I had 2 cases where the VHS tape had been chewed up but not broken in the machine.

In both cases I ejected the tape and simply splooled out the ruined portion of tape and then carefully joined it back together and it did the job fine.

I would be very reluctant to take the tape casing apart. I did that a time or two with cassette tapes and it was surprisingly difficult to keep all the different parts in exactly the right position before re-closing the case!

As Arfur says above, just lift open the flap exposing the tape (sellotape it in the open position open while you work with the tape, to prevent it from snapping closed on the tape)

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Very bad idea to use Sellotape - with the heat from the maching it'd go all gooey - RESULT the machine heads will get clogged up and you will need a new machine

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='earlb']Very bad idea to use Sellotape - with the heat from the maching it'd go all gooey - RESULT the machine heads will get clogged up and you will need a new machine

I agree but you can buy special tape which does not go gooey after a time. Amongst its other uses it was used after splicing amateur cine film together where the traditional fluid would not adhere to many later films which were often made from polyester material

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='earlb']Very bad idea to use Sellotape - with the heat from the maching it'd go all gooey - RESULT the machine heads will get clogged up and you will need a new machine
    The suggestion was just to use Sellotape to hold the flap open while you work to untwist the tape. Not to leave the Sellotape in place after you've made your repair

Steve

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Great - somebody's paying attention!

name='Steve Crook']The suggestion was just to use Sellotape to hold the flap open while you work to untwist the tape. Not to leave the Sellotape in place after you've made your repair

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    I've successfully saved a few tapes that got twisted.The screwdriver needed may well be a torx...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx]Torx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

...as previously mentioned,make sure your hands are clean and perhaps cool them down a bit to stop persperation.Alcohol is a usefull thing to keep contaminents away.

Frame.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']The suggestion was just to use Sellotape to hold the flap open while you work to untwist the tape. Not to leave the Sellotape in place after you've made your repair

Steve

Point taken but repairing broken tapes with the non gooeh "sellotape" works OK.

I have film stock which was spliced and repaired this way many years ago and the joint is as good as the day it was made with no evidence of any of the sticky stuff causing problems.

Senior Member Country: Ireland fluddite's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Whenever I've had to repair/splice a VHS, I've always made sure to copy the whole thing to a new tape (or latterly DVD-R) just in case of further accidents. As for the other excellent suggestion:

name='frame69']Alcohol is a usefull thing to keep contaminents away.

Frame.

- I find this works for everything - not just contaminants....

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    name='fluddite'] As for the other excellent suggestion:

- I find this works for everything - not just contaminants....
    Me to

Frame.