+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have any ideas how i can make one of my dvd recorders play Region 1 discs

My player is a Sony HXD890

or at worst I have a Liteon LVW-5006 in the bedroom, any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member Country: UK susanduic's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    DVD Hacks - UK DVD Player Hack List and Forum

You could try this........I don't have time right now to check for you. If this one's no good google "DVD hacks". I've always found a code eventually. Actually with one combi type machine I had to buy a code , it was around 15....................but that's rare............

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    There's some instructions here too. Googling the make of the player and 'multi-region' usually does the trick. Warning - I had to hack a player recently and it took several goes so don't panic if you dont' get the result you want instantly.

Liked
    0 times
    Hey thanks guys converting the liteon player was the easiest thing ever, 6 buttons :-)

Liked
    0 times
    Not a hack but Asda are selling Toshiba SD1010KB players for 25, region free and play DIVX and AVI movie files

Liked
    0 times
    Hey thanks for that Richard, is it any good?

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Before going out and buy a region free dvd player,on the internet type in dvd players hack list. This web site will list all dvd players that the region codes can be changed. Their are some players that you cannot change the region codes on. If you own a philips or cyberhome dvd player,it is very simple. I have 3 philips dvd players and change the region codes myself. Goodluck.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Many if not most of the Sony players cannot be changed with a hack code however you can 'hire' or buy a special remote which will do the job for you. The only problem is that if you change the code to 0 some region 1 discs will not play and unlike a hack code once you have reset the machine with the remote there seems no way of reversing the situation unless you have one of the machines which lets you do a factory reset.

If you have region 1 discs it is wise to make sure you can get a hack code before buying a player. A good tip is to look up various players on Amazon where in the reviews from customers you will quite often get the hack code for the machine.

Liked
    0 times
    name='rik_uk3']Not a hack but Asda are selling Toshiba SD1010KB players for 25, region free and play DIVX and AVI movie files

I bought one of these, but took it back as it was fussy about which DivX files it would play. I got a Philips. Bit more money but plays everything including NTSC.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Correct terminology?

Region 0 = "Region Free" or "Multi-Region"?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    name='Arthur Linden-Jones']Correct terminology?

Region 0 = "Region Free" or "Multi-Region"?

Region free (or Region 0) means that the player will play any region of DVD but not RCE (Region Code Enhanced) discs which will only play on a machine that is locked to play only the region of the disc.

RCE discs can be played by using the hack system to set the machine to Region 1 before playing then back to Region 0 afterwards.

A Multi region DVD player will play everything without the need for any hacking.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Fine if you are able to hack the machine but certain makes such as Sony, Panasonic and JVC use a different method to change the region (usually you have to get a special handset either hire or buy) however these only allow you to make the player multi region and have no facilities to reset the machine to individual regions which causes problems with RCE dfiscs. Fortunately the latter are in the minority.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Panasonic's I don't think can be hacked apart from a couple of model types.