+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    137 times
    Fans of Derek Farr will be looking forward to February next year when Network release this series starring him from 1975.

Does any fellow member remember it at all ?

Nightingale's Boys: The Complete Series: Network DVD

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Sounds promising but it doesn't ring a bell, was it a regional programme perhaps

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It was from Granada Television. I'll believe it when I see it - Network was supposed to release all six episodes of A.J. Wentworth B.A. earlier this year, but kept putting it back and it's not even listed on their website now.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Coincidentally, A. J. is one of the episodes of Nightingale's Boys. Another welcome release. I hadn't heard of the programme myself until I found this listing a few months ago, which soon made its way to the Donald Churchill and Pauline Yates thread:

Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Joint interview for 22-28 February 1975 issue of TVTimes

Pauline played the mistress of schoolteacher Derek Farr in forgotten series Nightingale's Boys (a Granada production):

Their co-stars in this last episode included future Sitcom legends John Challis (Only Fools and Horses) and Barbara Lott (Sorry!).
    Other guests in the series: Anton Rodgers, John Carson and Robert Swann (Susan Broderick's husband). Derek Farr is still best known to me for his 'dual' role in the first episode of The Saint, The Talented Husband. That of convincing everyone he was an old woman!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It now seems to have vanished from Network's website - just like their release of "A.J. Wentworth"........

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I hope Robert seized the opportunity to buy both shows in Network's Sale last month (half price releases). I got Nightingale's Boys for 7.50.

Daily Mirror interview with Derek Farr, 14th January 1975

DEREK BACK IN HIS OWN CLASS

VETERAN actor Derek Farr used to be a schoolmaster in the days before the second world war. Now the clock has turned full
    circle. For tonight Derek takes on the role of schoolmaster in a new seven-week drama series, "Nightingale's Boys" (ITV, 9.0).

Derek says: "I was a prep school teacher in the 1930s before I turned actor and got a break in
    films. But teaching was not really my scene and I would never do it again. It's very hard work."

[Derek] plays Bill Nightingale, a grammar school teacher nearing retirement, who sets up a reunion party for seven old boys
    from his class of 1949 and their wives. Each play in the series looks back at a different old boy, and what he has done in life.

"It's a great idea for a series", says Derek. Playing opposite him, as a schoolmaster's wife, is Pauline Yates.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-01-13 at 12:42 AM. Reason: "Class of 1949", not 40.