+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Member Country: Canada Gretsch66's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Marilyn photo? Well I always considered that the image of her was wearing a black sweater but with all the artistic distortion of the cover's designer I wasn't positive. I was pretty sure though. There are two sessions in 1953 that she wears the same black sweater. One with Alfred Eisenstaedt and another session 7 months later with Ben Ross. She even wore the same slack, go figure that. The Marlene image was just pure luck. Dennis Hopper was primarily a photographer prior to acting in the 60's.

Member Country: Canada Gretsch66's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Now here is something I am desperately looking four. Act 4 scene 6 audio recording of the BBC's 1967 broadcast of "The Tragedy Of King Lear". I have yet to find the full sound transcription to that. It still exists.

Member Country: Ukraine
    Liked
    0 times
    "Huntz Hall? Lobby Card from "Angels With Dirty Faces".

Poster - Angels With Dirty Faces_22.jpgI think another poster is more likely

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RimS View Post
    "Do you agree about the Bobby Breen picture?"
    Source photo by Bobby Breen from film "Rainbow on the River". It's reconstruction from M. Cooper's photo.
    But in film I not find this image...
    The Vargas Girl is actually Anna Mae Clift. She was the love of Vargas' life. He met her sometime after he moved to New York City in 1916, she was a Greenwich Village Follies girl. Painted her for years, and they eventually married. When she died Vargas ceased painting.

Liked
    0 times
    Hmm. I quoted incorrectly! This was meant to be in reply to the post that contained the images of Larry Bell / Marilyn Monroe / Marlene Dietrich / Huntz Hall / "The Vargas Girl" (who is Anna Mae Vargas (nee Clift)

Liked
    0 times
    tom-mix_opt.jpg

Back to Tom Mix.

Doing some research on the image that was posted earlier of Tom, which was definitely the one used for the cover of Sgt Pepper, it seems to come from somewhere between 1920 - 1930, when he was working for FOX Studios. I know this because of the photographer, Albert Witzel, or WITZEL OF HOLLYWOOD. Famous for taking many images of the stars of the day, particularly people involved with the Ziegfeld Follies. This photo of Mix comes from those sessions, of which a number were taken. I estimate he must have been in his 40's by this point.

Which brings me to "The Petty Girls". With the amount of people associated with the Ziegfeld Follies on the Pepper cover (you have Vargas, who later worked for them before he did his Pin Up Girls for ESQUIRE, you have W.C. Fields who is associated with them as well, and George Petty who did artwork for the Ziegfeld Follies of 1946, and who oddly enough, was replaced by Vargas at ESQUIRE when Petty got into dispute with the magazine over ownership of his artwork) I see a trend with who appears. IN my mind, The Beatles had very little to do with the choices that do make it to the cover. It seems George Harrison's choices were honoured, but very few of Lennon's or McCartney's were.

Bill Harry, of Mersey Beat fame, insists the red-headed Petty girl is Lucille Ball, and the dark haired one may be Binnie Barnes. But I can find no confirmation of either. And I have problems even finding anything George Petty did that was associated with either actress, apart from Ball's appearance in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1946. Petty did not illustrate the actors in that movie.

In fact, the art style of "The Petty Girls" doesn't even remind me of Petty. If it is his work, it looks to be very early in his career, because by 1933 he had already become quite stylised. And the two women attributed to him on Pepper, seem a bit older than 1933. They look to be from the 1920's. And my instinct also says they come from the same image or scene.

Still looking for "The Petty Girls." Even though I don't think they're Barnes, Ball or Petty Girls!

Liked
    0 times
    Many hail Sgt Pepper's album cover as innovative and revolutionary in changing the art design of album covers. Few remember though that it had a predecessor. Which was in the gatefold of "Beatles for Sale" (1964)

beatles-31.jpg

It pictures the Beatles in the lobby of Twickenham Studios, which had a mural of stars past and present (1964) that had worked for them in some capacity. Only some of these people can I identify, and even went so far as contacting BFI and Twickenham Studios for any history they may have about the mural. No reply received.

McCartney stands next to an image of Jayne Mansfield from the film "The Challenge aka It Takes a Thief" (1960) - it's the one film she did at Twickenham. I also see Donald Pleasence, and Albert Finney. I'd have to find the messages at another forum that identified what film Finney was in from the still (but it's from 1960/61 I believe) and someone had identified two other actors.

Can anyone else identify anyone in this picture?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Isn't that a young Bob Monkhouse and Benny Hill onstage during an army routine skit? The photo looks vaguely familiar.....

Member Country: England Scribbler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Agreed, this was a kind of forerunner to the Pepper cover, but let's not forget the Revolver (1966) cover, the immediate predecessor to Sgt.Pepper-

beatles-revolver-cover-art.jpg

Designed (I think) by Klaus Voorman, the German bassist and brother to Stu Sutcliffe's girlfriend Astrid, who remained friend's with the fabs long after those Hamburg days.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    A good challenge, Dr. Tomoculus. There appear to be two photographs of Albert Finney. One is a still from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, the other (bottom left) looks like a snapshot taken outdoors.

I believe the Silent film star above Ringo is either Nazimova or Pola Negri. Is the picture by his shoulder from Taras Bulba? Or The Conqueror? On the other side of him is the more distinct Ian Carmichael. But who is that with him? Possibly Janette Scott in Double Bunk. The romantic scene above the Silent Star has a 1950s look about it. Is the actress Jane Wyman? Miracle in the Rain? A lot of mysteries to solve.

As for the cover of Revolver, the top picture of George wearing a hat and waistcoat is actually from The Beatles' previous album, Rubber Soul, and the one of Ringo sitting down is from a Photograph that showed him on the edge of a stand where he played his drums. That's all I can offer at the moment. Good work at the 'Sgt. Pepper' thread, by the way
    Last edited by cornershop15; 20-02-13 at 09:04 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    A good challenge, Dr. Tomoculus. There appear to be two photographs of Albert Finney. One is a still from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, the other (bottom left) looks like a snapshot taken outdoors.

I believe the Silent film star above Ringo is either Nazimova or Pola Negri. Is the picture by his shoulder from Taras Bulba? Or The Conqueror? On the other side of him is the more distinct Ian Carmichael. But who is that with him? Possibly Janette Scott in Double Bunk. The romantic scene above the Silent Star has a 1950s look about it. Is the actress Jane Wyman? Miracle in the Rain? A lot of mysteries to solve.

As for the cover of Revolver, the top picture of George wearing a hat and waistcoat is actually from The Beatles' previous album, Rubber Soul, and the one of Ringo sitting down is from a Photograph that showed him on the edge of a stand where he played his drums. That's all I can offer at the moment. Good work at the 'Sgt. Pepper' thread, by the way
    Yep, that's definitely the movie "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning". Thanks, you saved me a long search at another forum for the post that named it. Going to check the other names you mentioned, which were a lot more than at the other forum! I'm far more familiar with American silent movie stars than the British ones, that's why a lot of the faces are eluding me.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeon68 View Post
    Isn't that a young Bob Monkhouse and Benny Hill onstage during an army routine skit? The photo looks vaguely familiar.....
    I think this is "Light up the Sky" Benny Hill and Tommy Steele.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golightly View Post
    Surprised there are rumours of race issues surrounding any of the Beatles, but on reflection, having grown up in 50s Liverpool, there was an intense antisemitism in the area that I grew up in. But that was North Liverpool which is or was different than the Beatles South, they even speak with a different accent, milder in the South, and it was a much more affluent area, if you are well fed and well housed you don't need to look for people to blame for your predicament. I can't believe Paul had any race issues, no way. Regarding Lennon, he was what we called a 'nark', someone who would do anything to upset people.
    If I could quote it, I'd do it. Little Richard's interview with Rolling Stone in 1984 stated the worst person towards him with racial and homophobic slurs was John Lennon. He said Pete Best, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison were all ok. But Lennon was something else.

Liked
    0 times
    BFS Legend.jpg

Uploading kind of a legend/guide should we have to refer to any particular image in Beatles for Sale. I agree Albert Finney is also pictured in the lower right hand corner (21). I also think (8) could be Jayne Mansfield again, but I'd need to see clips of the film to see if she even dresses like that at any point. It looks like her profile.

If I can find a bigger scan I'll try. I have the LP, but no scanner, plus the final version cuts out a good portion of the mural. And thanks to everyone who's trying to identify them :)

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I agree with golightly that John Lennon had a tendency to be provocative - at the risk of losing friends as well as fans I shouldn't wonder. Very disturbing that he wanted to associate himself with that Martin X character, later hanged for the murder of a British politician's daughter. And because this was around the same time he campaigned for World Peace, and the Hanratty family, I'm left very confused by his character.

I remember reading that he upset Beatle Paul's girlfriend, Jane Asher, with a very personal question, which I've never quite forgiven him for. Best to remember John for his brilliant music (not so much the controversial Woman Is a N****r of the World).

I see you're playing 'The Numbers Game', Doctor! I do this fairly regularly at the threads for Extras, Record Sleeves, etc.
    No. 17 is definitely a still from Double Bunk (1961). I can't find an exact copy but the clothes worn by the stars match:

Ian Carmichael, Janette Scott and Sid James

Double Bunk 1961 | Britmovie | Home of British Films

Senior Member Country: UK golightly's Avatar
    Liked
    142 times
    I think the picture above Ringo's right shoulder is from The Bandit Of Zhobe starring Victor Mature and Tony Newley

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golightly View Post
    I think the picture above Ringo's right shoulder is from The Bandit Of Zhobe starring Victor Mature and Tony Newley

The hat certainly looks right. I'll do some searching and see if anything else comes up - thanks for the lead :)

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with golightly that John Lennon had a tendency to be provocative - at the risk of losing friends as well as fans I shouldn't wonder. Very disturbing that he wanted to associate himself with that Martin X character, later hanged for the murder of a British politician's daughter. And because this was around the same time he campaigned for World Peace, and the Hanratty family, I'm left very confused by his character.
    This I was completely unaware of. I'm even unfamiliar with Martin X. I had enough problems with John Lennon advocating peace, but rarely attempting to reconcile with his own son Julian, and at the same time aligning himself with the IRA.

I remember reading that he upset Beatle Paul's girlfriend, Jane Asher, with a very personal question, which I've never quite forgiven him for. Best to remember John for his brilliant music (not so much the controversial Woman Is a N****r of the World).
    The Asher thing I was completely unaware of as well! I thought I'd heard it all about Lennon's tendency to open his mouth without thinking! And regarding "Woman is ..." I actually find the lyrics to that quite good. It led me to believe it was more Yoko's work, because compared to something like "Imagine" (which seemed hypocritical line by line) "Woman ..." actually made valid points, and made them quite clearly without an Us and Them policy. I always thought that was more Ono written lyrically. Though I'm not a fan of her, some of her lyrics are actually quite good. Once you get beyond that it's her.

I see you're playing 'The Numbers Game', Doctor! I do this fairly regularly at the threads for Extras, Record Sleeves, etc.
    No. 17 is definitely a still from Double Bunk (1961). I can't find an exact copy but the clothes worn by the stars match:

Ian Carmichael, Janette Scott and Sid James

Double Bunk 1961 | Britmovie | Home of British Films
    The numbers game just helps things along

BFS LegendII.jpg :) Updated Legend. I haven't included Alla Nazimova or Pola Negri, simply because of confirmation. I'm leaning towards Pola Negri on that one. Just need to find an image of her with the same headgear

Liked
    0 times
    Ahh Michael X. Michael de Freitas aka Abdul Malik.

Member Country: England Scribbler's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Lennon could be quite nasty, but I notice that he kept his trap shut when meeting Mohammad Ali?