+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2723

Thread: Have a Chat

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dame Starry View Post
    After nearly 9 months, I have finally accessed the files on the hard drive from my old, dead computer - this is nothing short of a miracle for me! Now I just need to work out how to save the ones I want to my new computer...........

Is your USB drive, or CD-ROM drive still working on your old computer?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by torinfan View Post
    Is your USB drive, or CD-ROM drive still working on your old computer?
    No - the whole computer's as dead as a dodo.
    My brother bought me a caddy off of e-bay which has a data connection and a mains lead and turns a hard drive into an external hard drive - and cost just 10.99 with free p&p.

Liked
    71 times
    No - the whole computer's as dead as a dodo.
    My brother bought me a caddy off of e-bay which has a data connection and a mains lead and turns a hard drive into an external hard drive - and cost just 10.99 with free p&p.
    Hope it works for you!

Liked
    150 times
    I've just moved a lot of music files over - but there are still some missing for some reason (or perhaps just hiding from me!). And, at the moment, I can't seem to find all my genealogical files....but they must be there somewhere! I've been waiting 9 months - so a bit longer's not going to make any difference.

Patience is a virtue!

Liked
    71 times
    I've just moved a lot of music files over - but there are still some missing for some reason (or perhaps just hiding from me!). And, at the moment, I can't seem to find all my genealogical files....but they must be there somewhere! I've been waiting 9 months - so a bit longer's not going to make any difference.

Patience is a virtue!
    Did you make backups of your files on your old computer before it died?

I still have a huge stack of the 3.5" floppies from way back when but most of my more recent files I keep backups on CD-ROMS.

While on the subject I have a funny story to share:

I've an uncle (my father's younger brother), very smart guy in his field (chemical engineering) but when his first PC Windows 95 got a virus (this was back in the late 1990's), everything crashed, and he lost all of his files that he was working on. He had no backups. That was about the same time I was designing a website (my first, with HTML) and kept copies of all files I was working with so I wouldn't lose anything in case the computer crashed.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Gosh..Windows 95......Have I really been on the internet that long......

Certainly seemed more user friendly than 3.1

Liked
    150 times
    Did you make backups of your files on your old computer before it died?
    No - that's why I was so desperate! I've just found all my genealogical research and all my cookery photos.

I now have a 'Clickfree' portable back-up which is brilliant.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser15 View Post
    Nope they are a shower of ungrateful land rails and no mistake. Don't now what the collective name for them is, someone once suggested a Kellog of Corncrakes.

Steve

Liked
    71 times
    No - that's why I was so desperate! I've just found all my genealogical research and all my cookery photos.

I now have a 'Clickfree' portable back-up which is brilliant.
    Yikes, well at least you have a portable backup.

Yeah when I no longer had the gargantuan Gateway desktop computer I inherited from my father (that "tower" was about 4' tall, LOL) all I had was those 3.5" floppies, and I wanted to get the files from them transferred to CD-ROMS so I had it done for a small fee at a computer service store. That was way back when CD-ROMS could only be written to once. Now, the new CD-ROMS can be written to several times until the disk is "filled up."

That Gateway (and its cow patch design) intimidated me from the first. Yet my father, who was still alive back then, in 1997, showed me how to use it - Mom wasn't technologically inclined but Dad was having been a COBOL programmer for many years - and like anything else, it took practice. I learned HTML - my first computer language and it was quite fun. Now I can't imagine living without a computer.

Liked
    67 times
    Those of you who know me are aware of my annual participation in the local Half Marathon. I have had a lot of encouragement this year from the guys at my gym, as well as the friends that I run with.

My friend Trina who takes care of my feet got in contact with the local newspaper, and this article is the result. I will let you know how I get on when I get home on Sunday. We are starting at 6am, so we are hoping that the weather will be kind to us, I don't mind if it is cold and windy, but not much fun if it is raining!
    Attached Images

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Those of you who know me are aware of my annual participation in the local Half Marathon. I have had a lot of encouragement this year from the guys at my gym, as well as the friends that I run with.

My friend Trina who takes care of my feet got in contact with the local newspaper, and this article is the result. I will let you know how I get on when I get home on Sunday. We are starting at 6am, so we are hoping that the weather will be kind to us, I don't mind if it is cold and windy, but not much fun if it is raining!
    Fantastic, Ray! All the best for a great run, and I hope the rain holds off for you. Good luck!

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlGirl View Post
    Fantastic, Ray! All the best for a great run, and I hope the rain holds off for you. Good luck!

Thanks very much Shirl!

I hear that there will be some showers and sunny intervals. It could be worse, and I do like a challenge!

After all of the training I have done I am sure that I can knock thirty minutes off last years three hour result, especially as I am two stone lighter, most of it off my waist! :)

Liked
    150 times
    Hope it works for you!
    Unfortunately, it was too far gone in the end and now I can't access it at all - but at least it allowed me one last look!

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times

Good Luck with the Marathon Ray.......

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I have just greedily eaten six chocolate digestives! (I've been on a diet for nearly a year and have recently started to get cravings for sweet things which really didn't interest me beforehand-I just thought I'd share my guilt!)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times

Have a great run on Sunday Ray, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the weather, I guess what we get on Canvey will be the same in Faversham, not far at all as the crow flies across the water!

Looking forward to reading how it went.

Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    I have just greedily eaten six chocolate digestives! (I've been on a diet for nearly a year and have recently started to get cravings for sweet things which really didn't interest me beforehand-I just thought I'd share my guilt!)
    Hey don't apologize, I bought Mr Torinfan and myself some chocolate cupcakes at the grocery store today - from the bakery section. They make everything fresh daily. Delicious!

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw1 View Post
    Good Luck with the Marathon Ray.......

Thanks Very Much Jim!

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Have a great run on Sunday Ray, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the weather, I guess what we get on Canvey will be the same in Faversham, not far at all as the crow flies across the water!

Looking forward to reading how it went.

Thanks Mark!

We are actually running from a place called Chislet, nr Canterbury, but I guess the weather there will be the same as most of Kent.

I will let you know how I get on as soon as I get back, well, after I have had a long soak in the bath anyway!

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Good luck with the run Ray! It must be nice to have a friend to look after your feet!