+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Which is Britain's oldest cinema still used for that purpose? Several candidates claim the distinction.

According to 'My Cornwall' magazine (formerly 'Cornish World'), THE SAVOY CINEMA, Penzance, is "the longest continually running cinema in Britain...

"The Savoy was originally named the Victoria Music Hall and became a cinema in 1912.

"Merlin Cinemas began in June 1990 with the purchase of the Savoy Cinema and gave it a facelift, converting the building to house three screens."

The Guardian had an article (15/06/2010) about the 100-year old PHOENIX, East Finchley, north London: "the longest-running single screen cinema in continuous use"

CURZON COMMUNITY CINEMA, Clevedon, opened 20/04/1912: "oldest purpose-built continually operated cinema in the world"

THEATR COLWYN, Colwyn Bay, opened 25/01/1909: "oldest working picture house in the UK"

DUKE OF YORK's PICTURE HOUSE, Brighton, opened 22/09/1910: "oldest continuously operating purpose-built cinema in Britain that has retained both its original name and remained largely unaltered" (Wikipedia)

According to its website, the ELECTRIC, Birmingham, is "the UK's oldest working cinema."

Liked
    0 times
    The Phoenix East Finchley reopened yesterday after a refurbishment.Havent been in to see whats been done to it but will soon.By the way the CTA has been doing a season of visits this year to commemorate the 1910Cinematograh Act.The Duke Of York is next on September 20th followed by the Phoenix.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    My local arthouse - the Ritzy in Brixton - opened in 1911 and it still going strong despite the best efforts of the Luftwaffe - The Ritzy

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    There was quite a discussion in the CTA Bulletin about this a few months ago, wasn't there Orpheum? I can't remember if there was a conclusion about which was the oldest.

The Electric Palace in Harwich dates from 1911; Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds surprisingly wasn't a cinema until 1914 - it was built as a hotel in 1908. It gets used so much in films and TV as a 'period piece' though as it still looks the same, down to the gas lamp outside.

Senior Member Country: Australia Kitty Whiskers's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='CaptainWaggett' timestamp='1284204209' post='473148']

My local arthouse - the Ritzy in Brixton - opened in 1911 and it still going strong despite the best efforts of the Luftwaffe - The Ritzy

What a gorgeous cinema - I'm just sorry there aren't any interior shots.

The Prince Charles in Leicester Square must have a fair vintage on it, althought wasn't it was an *ahem* 'art' movie cinema previously?

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    name='orpheum' timestamp='1284202460' post='473140']

The Phoenix East Finchley reopened yesterday after a refurbishment.Havent been in to see whats been done to it but will soon.By the way the CTA has been doing a season of visits this year to commemorate the 1910Cinematograh Act.The Duke Of York is next on September 20th followed by the Phoenix.

Daily Telegraph: 'Screen classic - Oldest cinema reopens'

Britain's oldest cinema, The Phoenix in East Finchley, has reopened following a £1million restoration.

The north London cinema, which has been operating for 100 years, gave a gala screening of TAMARA DREWE, hosted by director Stephen Frears. It is also offering free tours, archive screenings and 10 special screenings focusing on a different decade.

The Telegraph report is accompanied by The Phoenix pictured in 1912 and an internal shot following refurbishment.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    The Picturedrome in Bognor Regis opened, I think, in 1919. The cinema still retains the original wrought iron framework with a stained glass "Picturedrome" at the top,

MrT

Liked
    0 times
    I believe that withe the assistance of the CTA the Picturedrome has now been listed.Visited this last year.Very impressed by the effort put in by the manager to keep this going.Very difficult landlord.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    name='orpheum' timestamp='1284375061' post='473831']

I believe that withe the assistance of the CTA the Picturedrome has now been listed.Visited this last year.Very impressed by the effort put in by the manager to keep this going.Very difficult landlord.

Wonderful news. If only there was a happy ending on the cards for the New Victoria in Bradford.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes but this is a common problem with exOdeon sites in city centres.You only have to look at the Odeon in the centre of Glasgow backing on to West Nile Street to know that this derilict building scheduled to be turned into offices could suffer the same fate.If only local authorities would consider these buildings as part of our heritage to be brought back to life and community use rather than torn down and ugly office buildings erected.I often go down to Worthing for organ concerts.there in the middle of town stands this horrendous concrete block where once a beautiful art deco Odeon stood.Enough to make you weep.