Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Watching Clydebuilt: The Ships That Made the Commonwealth on BBC 4 this evening I happened to have the subtitles on when presenter David Hayman was talking about the building of HMS Hood. David said that the Hood "weighed in at 42,000 tons". But the subtitler wrote that as "42,000 tonnes".

Now in the United Kingdom the ton is defined as 2,240 avoirdupois pounds (1,016 kg). The tonne (metric ton), is defined as 1,000 kg (2,204.6 lbs). Not a vast difference between them, but a significant difference. Especially when you're dealing with large numbers of them like in the mass of the Hood.

Or does everyone use tonne instead of ton nowadays - and they neglected to tell me?

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Probably automated subtitling equipment. It also often produces quite amusingly inaccurate interpretations when following live audio.

Liked
    418 times
    Yes, I've seen some real howlers in subtitles

In the Criterion DVD of Black Narcissus (1947), Sister Clodagh (Deborah Kerr) is telling Mr Dean (David Farrar) about her history before becoming a nun. She says "I come from a small town called Inniskelly" but the 'd' from "called" must have lingered a bit in the ear of the subtitler and it was written as "I come from a small town called Dennis Kelly"

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Try to read subtitles written by people who barely understand English. A lot of Asian movies have that problem.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    There's a video on YouTube of a woman speaking with a very broad Yorkshire accent that the automated subtitling system can't understand. So the subtitles come out as complete gibberish.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Watching Clydebuilt: The Ships That Made the Commonwealth on BBC 4 this evening I happened to have the subtitles on when presenter David Hayman was talking about the building of HMS Hood. David said that the Hood "weighed in at 42,000 tons". But the subtitler wrote that as "42,000 tonnes".

Now in the United Kingdom the ton is defined as 2,240 avoirdupois pounds (1,016 kg). The tonne (metric ton), is defined as 1,000 kg (2,204.6 lbs). Not a vast difference between them, but a significant difference. Especially when you're dealing with large numbers of them like in the mass of the Hood.

Or does everyone use tonne instead of ton nowadays - and they neglected to tell me?

Steve
    Being a naval vessel, at least the tonnage is actually weight (being the displacement tonnage). What is annoying is people using a merchant ship's Goss Tonnage and referring to it as weight (as in the Titanic weighed 46,000 tons). Gross Tonnage is a measure of volume, the formula used to be 100 cubic feet of permanently enclosed space equals one Gross Register Ton, today a complicated metric based formula is used to arrive at much the same result. This is the reason that modern cruise ships have vast Gross Tonnages, a ship with similar hull dimensions to the original Queen Mary (81,000 GRT) will have a Gross Tonnage of around 150,000 due to their enormous superstructures. In spite of this, I have seen Gross Tonnages "converted" to tonnes as if it were weight!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times

In the Criterion DVD of Black Narcissus (1947), Sister Clodagh (Deborah Kerr) is telling Mr Dean (David Farrar) about her history before becoming a nun. She says "I come from a small town called Inniskelly" but the 'd' from "called" must have lingered a bit in the ear of the subtitler and it was written as "I come from a small town called Dennis Kelly"

Steve
    Lovely chap Dennis - I knew his father.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by odeonman View Post
    Being a naval vessel, at least the tonnage is actually weight (being the displacement tonnage). What is annoying is people using a merchant ship's Goss Tonnage and referring to it as weight (as in the Titanic weighed 46,000 tons). Gross Tonnage is a measure of volume, the formula used to be 100 cubic feet of permanently enclosed space equals one Gross Register Ton, today a complicated metric based formula is used to arrive at much the same result. This is the reason that modern cruise ships have vast Gross Tonnages, a ship with similar hull dimensions to the original Queen Mary (81,000 GRT) will have a Gross Tonnage of around 150,000 due to their enormous superstructures. In spite of this, I have seen Gross Tonnages "converted" to tonnes as if it were weight!
    Weight is different to mass (or it can be)

People often confuse mass and weight. Remember that weight is a force, and is measured in newtons. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg).

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Weight is different to mass (or it can be)

People often confuse mass and weight. Remember that weight is a force, and is measured in newtons. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg).

Steve
    Gross Tonnage is neither, it is space!

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

The Hood was 42,00 long tons unloaded (47,040 short tons for the cousins), which equates to 42,667 tonnes, so yes, it should have been rounded to 43,000 tonnes. I think most reporting these days is assumed to be metric.
    Last edited by Nick Cooper; 16-01-17 at 05:48 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Years ago I had the Region 1 DVD of Battle of Britain, before it was available in Region 2, and the English subtitles were so bad they bordered on the hilarious. In the scene at the Britain airfield in France, when once of the characters says, "Get the erks over here," the RAF slang was obviously took much for the subtitler/software, who/which rendered it as, "get the Yanks over here!"

I can't think of some exact example, but I've seen subtitles in the past that simply replaced "miles" with "kilometres" (and vice versa), but using the same number, without any conversion. In contrast, if you watch A Bridge Too Far with the Dutch subtitles (as you do), the distances are all properly converted from Imperial to metric.
    Last edited by Nick Cooper; 16-01-17 at 05:47 PM.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper View Post
    Years ago I had the Region 1 DVD of Battle of Britain, before it was available in Region 2, and the English subtitles were so bad they bordered on the hilarious. In the scene at the Britain airfield in France, when once of the characters says, "Get the erks over here," the RAF slang was obviously took much for the subtitler/software, who/which rendered it as, "get the Yanks over here!"
    An "Erk" is RAF slang for an aircraftman, non-flying (of uncertain origin)
    Any decent subtitler or subtitling software should be able to cope with slang

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This isn't really off topic.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    This isn't really off topic.
    Which category do you think that it fits best in then?

Forum: Off-Topic Discussion

For infrequent and stimulating chat about everyday topics from the weather to world news; sport and politics; media, newspapers and the web.
    I thought it was an "everyday topic"

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    An "Erk" is RAF slang for an aircraftman, non-flying (of uncertain origin)
    Any decent subtitler or subtitling software should be able to cope with slang
    I always undesrtood it to be a contraction of a lower class pronunciation of the rank. Wikipedia suggests Cockney, although I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper View Post
    I always undesrtood it to be a contraction of a lower class pronunciation of the rank. Wikipedia suggests Cockney, although I'm not entirely convinced of that.
    Neither am I (as a Londoner although not a cockney)
    How do you get "Erk" from "aircraftman"?

Steve

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times

Steve
    Would it not be from "Airc" but pronounced as "Erk" ?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    I would think that a modern Londoner would be more likely to use the initials and call them an AC. But as we all know - The past is a different country

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    As a Yorkshireman living in London, I think a northern pronunciation makes better sense: "Urrkraft!"

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Technically, yes, but although generally written as "Erk," it's pronounced more as "Urk."