Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,061
    Liked
    98 times
    We’re having a by-election here in Stoke on Trent on Thursday, February 23rd, due to Labour MP Tristram Hunt giving up his Stoke on Trent Central seat and I have been inundated with glossy election leaflets lately from all the candidates, about ten of them at the last count. Now there in one thing they all have in common. Each candidate believes they are right and all the others are wrong and each candidate says that if you vote for them, you life will really improve and if you vote for any of the others, it won’t. A bit of a laugh, really, and UKIP candidate Paul Nuttall, a Liverpudlian, had an embarrassing moment recently when he was asked to name the six towns that make up the City of Stoke-on-Trent, and he could only name two…Stoke and Burslem. Well, I wouldn’t expect a scouser to know the names of any of them, let alone two. But for the record, the other four are Longton; Fenton; Hanley and Tunstall.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    123
    Liked
    0 times
    It used to be easy to tell who was the Official Monster Raving Looney candidate, nowadays they all seem to be nuts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,061
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, there is a Monster Raving Looney Party candidate standing as well (his name escapes me for the moment), but I haven't had a leaflet from him yet. I'm sure it would be a good laugh.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,881
    Liked
    20 times
    Election leaflets come in the front door and straight into the recycle bin at the back door chez moi.
    Last edited by narabdela; 15-02-17 at 05:15 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Liked
    202 times
    Election leaflets go straight into the recycling bin at my place also, waste of paper, all politicians are self serving imbeciles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,061
    Liked
    98 times
    After I went to vote in the referendum last June, I said to myself well, this will be my last time going to vote. It's a long walk over to Stoke Town Hall, which is where I have to go to vote now since the Methodist church a few yards away, where I used to vote, was closed and turned into students flats during the past few years. I can't walk very far now and chances are that I won't be well enough to go next Thursday anyway. So they'll have to do without my vote from now on. Postal votes aren't really any use, either, as the Post Office is just as far away as the Town Hall, except in a different direction. So they've pushed all those colourful; glossy and expensive election leaflets through my letterbox to no avail.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    After I went to vote in the referendum last June, I said to myself well, this will be my last time going to vote. It's a long walk over to Stoke Town Hall, which is where I have to go to vote now since the Methodist church a few yards away, where I used to vote, was closed and turned into students flats during the past few years. I can't walk very far now and chances are that I won't be well enough to go next Thursday anyway. So they'll have to do without my vote from now on. Postal votes aren't really any use, either, as the Post Office is just as far away as the Town Hall, except in a different direction. So they've pushed all those colourful; glossy and expensive election leaflets through my letterbox to no avail.

    Sometimes people will ferry less able persons to the polling station in their cars, could be worth checking out, maybe a phone number on one of those leaflets !

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,061
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, I'll check that out Mark. I remember the General Election in 1959 when all the candidates were ferrying as many voters as they could to the polls on voting day. The Conservative candidate drove my parents there in the hope that they'd vote for him, but they voted Labour when they got there. However, as far as I remember, the candidate had the last laugh, as the Conservatives won the General Election under Harold MacMillan.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Liked
    9 times
    The bulk of leaflets in any election are heading straight to the bin, but the parties have good reasons for using them.

    Firstly, they are relatively cheap, and easy to deliver. And if just one person in a thousand looks at it and thinks 'there is an election on!' (you'd be surprised how many people have no idea that a national election, never mind a by-election, is taking place), or might be slightly more motivated to go out and vote (by-elections have notoriously low turnouts), then its done its job.

    And if a potential voter is swayed by anything on that leaflet, then its a win. Margins of victory can be very small, especially in low turnout elections, and its getting your people out. So they'll chuck whatever they can at you. At least your not in the US. In 2014 (an offyear), more money was spent on elections in Iowa alone than was spent by all UK parties in the 2010 General Election, and we have no TV adverts. There, it would be wall to wall.

    Just remember to recycle responsibly...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    583
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Postal votes aren't really any use, either, as the Post Office is just as far away as the Town Hall, except in a different direction.
    Our voting system is notoriously unsafe: a few years ago when my son was away at university, he registered for a postal vote only to be told on polling day that someone had already used his vote.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,881
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    Our voting system is notoriously unsafe: a few years ago when my son was away at university, he registered for a postal vote only to be told on polling day that someone had already used his vote.

    I don't quite follow. If he registered for a postal vote, he would be unable to vote on polling day. He would show on the register as having voted.

  12. #12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,780
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnallan View Post
    Our voting system is notoriously unsafe: a few years ago when my son was away at university, he registered for a postal vote only to be told on polling day that someone had already used his vote.
    Presumably the records said that someone (i.e. your son) had already registered a postal vote against his details.
    They just didn't tell him that it was himself

    Steve

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,881
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Presumably the records said that someone (i.e. your son) had already registered a postal vote against his details.
    They just didn't tell him that it was himself

    Steve
    Snap!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,061
    Liked
    98 times
    The Monster Raving Loony Party has announced it will be contesting the Stoke-on-Trent Central by-election. Loony candidate The Incredible Flying Brick has pledged to develop the Civic Centre in Stoke into an 'intergalactic space port' and make fishing a spectator sport by 'introducing piranha to the River Trent’. He also says he will abolish gravity with immediate effect and ensure all European trains are fuelled by gravy, if he is elected.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain LadyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    506
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    The Monster Raving Loony Party has announced it will be contesting the Stoke-on-Trent Central by-election. Loony candidate The Incredible Flying Brick has pledged to develop the Civic Centre in Stoke into an 'intergalactic space port' and make fishing a spectator sport by 'introducing piranha to the River Trent’. He also says he will abolish gravity with immediate effect and ensure all European trains are fuelled by gravy, if he is elected.
    He sounds like the best candidate by far. See if he can give you a lift!

    As long as the Tories, UKIP and BNP (and parties like them) don't win, I'm happy to be honest. Which I guess is another way of saying I want Labour to win, if they could only sort themselves out.
    Last edited by LadyKat; 16-02-17 at 09:47 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,658
    Liked
    7 times
    Firstla Darrenburnfan,as someone who has been an election agent in the past I can tell you that there are three ways to deal with the situation.I think that you are out of time for the first 2:-
    1.postal vote.
    2proxy vote.you appoint someone to vote for you.
    3if any of the political parties offer a lift to the polling station ring them up.they will bring you back home.I have done a lot of that in my time.
    Secondiy MikeB you are spot on.I will be out delivering leaflets in the next couple of days in anticipation of the May 2018 London council elections.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Liked
    9 times
    MikeB you are spot on.I will be out delivering leaflets in the next couple of days in anticipation of the May 2018 London council elections.
    Its probably one of the most thankless jobs around, but someone has to do it! Canvassing is also pretty wretched - I've done that for by-elections. It when you talk to people that you realise that not only do they often have no idea an election is taking place, but have zero interest in it, apart from complaining about how awful politicians are! As Jed Bartlett put it, 90% of politics is showing up.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain LadyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    506
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to deliver election leaflets many moons ago myself...I always thought most of them would end up in the bin, but it was good exercise! :-)
    Last edited by LadyKat; 16-02-17 at 10:53 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain LadyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    506
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    We’re having a by-election here in Stoke on Trent on Thursday, February 23rd, due to Labour MP Tristram Hunt giving up his Stoke on Trent Central seat and I have been inundated with glossy election leaflets lately from all the candidates, about ten of them at the last count. Now there in one thing they all have in common. Each candidate believes they are right and all the others are wrong and each candidate says that if you vote for them, you life will really improve and if you vote for any of the others, it won’t. A bit of a laugh, really, and UKIP candidate Paul Nuttall, a Liverpudlian, had an embarrassing moment recently when he was asked to name the six towns that make up the City of Stoke-on-Trent, and he could only name two…Stoke and Burslem. Well, I wouldn’t expect a scouser to know the names of any of them, let alone two. But for the record, the other four are Longton; Fenton; Hanley and Tunstall.
    Well I'm from the South East and have lived in Devon for nearly 30 years and I know three - Stoke, Burslem and Hanley - probably because I watch Homes Under The Hammer quite a lot!
    Last edited by LadyKat; 16-02-17 at 10:22 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyKat View Post
    He sounds like the best candidate by far. See if he can give you a lift!

    As long as the Tories, UKIP and BNP (and parties like them) don't win, I'm happy to be honest. Which I guess is another way of saying I want Labour to win, if they could only sort themselves out.
    According the online daily mail, voters will go to hell if they do not vote labour, not much point in me providing a link I am fully aware it would not be clicked on, but it is there, in Stoke, still, if they want rid of the queen, vote corbyn, their dream will come true.......
    .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The most dumbed down election ever
    By Torquemada in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27-02-10, 11:06 AM
  2. Budget Fiasco - Election Within 10 Days
    By samkydd in forum Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 25-04-09, 06:09 AM
  3. Party Election Broadcast
    By roddy in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (TV)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-07, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts